T-Mobile UK can now use orange

Guest technaudio

Guest technaudio

Apparently, T-Mobile UK customers can now use orange network too, see http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/share/ however, I can't seek to get it working, I get the sign up text, to which I'm supposed to reply yes, but I just get the error message, Sorry, we had a problem completing your request. We're working on fixing the problem now. Please try again later. Thanks

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my phone being rooted, or the radio version I have (32.42.00.32u_5.09.00.20) using modaco r8 Rom.

Any ideas...?

By the way, I know this isn't the latest radio, but its the one that works best for me where I live, as there is crap T-Mobile signal!

Guest BashyUK
Apparently, T-Mobile UK customers can now use orange network too, see http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/share/ however, I can't seek to get it working, I get the sign up text, to which I'm supposed to reply yes, but I just get the error message, Sorry, we had a problem completing your request. We're working on fixing the problem now. Please try again later. Thanks

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my phone being rooted, or the radio version I have (32.42.00.32u_5.09.00.20) using modaco r8 Rom.

Any ideas...?

By the way, I know this isn't the latest radio, but its the one that works best for me where I live, as there is crap T-Mobile signal!

Got the confirmation text just fine, the phone being rooted will have no bearing on this whatsoever. As for when I'll ever use it, considering all the pple I know on Orange never have signal whilst i do, it could be a non-starter :)

Guest chipyy

I would be interested in at least trying this since I get an utterly shitty connection on T-Mobile in a couple of places (my gf's house for one, which is very frustrating). However, that site only mentions calling and texting. Does it apply for data as well? I'm guessing not. And if not, that's pretty useless, when do you ever get such a bad signal you can't call or text? Pretty rarely really.

Guest Scottland
I would be interested in at least trying this since I get an utterly shitty connection on T-Mobile in a couple of places (my gf's house for one, which is very frustrating). However, that site only mentions calling and texting. Does it apply for data as well? I'm guessing not. And if not, that's pretty useless, when do you ever get such a bad signal you can't call or text? Pretty rarely really.

It includes data AFAIK, but only GPRS/Edge I think.

I've tried it at home because I get hardly any signal on TMo, and signal is a bit better - just annoying that I have to manually switch over to Orange when signal drops.

I've just signed up for this via Orange and I was instructed that I might still see messages about roaming charges because of data when it switches to T-mob, but that I won't actually be charged for it. It also mentioned that it won't work for 3G until sometime next year.

Guest chipyy
It includes data AFAIK, but only GPRS/Edge I think.

I've tried it at home because I get hardly any signal on TMo, and signal is a bit better - just annoying that I have to manually switch over to Orange when signal drops.

Yeah I just actually read the site properly. It might still be worth trying because in that particular spot I basically get a really terrible data rate, whether I'm on 3G or 2G, and regardless of signal strength. So even an Orange 2G signal might be better.

Unfortunately my internal storage has randomly dropped to 13 meg and now my phone is rejecting SMSes on this basis so I didn't get the confirmation text. Brilliant :/

Guest spammyspam

Managed to activate fine this morning on MIUI. I noticed a bit of a roam during the day, but so far no way of testing it properly. I tried manually setting my network but the MIUI rom doesn't seem to want to let me....

Guest technaudio

Update:

Now got my confirmation, just see if it works at home, where I get full h signal on my drive but no signal at all inside the house! Unless I leave the phone on a windowsill, where it struggles to get a g!

Guest ascot17

Have registered and tried to accept the agreement by texting 'YES' to 2121 as instructed. I get a message saying:

Sorry we had a problem completing your request. We're working on fixing the problem now. Please try again later. Thanks.

I don't have any Orange signal where I am currently though. Don't know if that makes a difference........?

Guest 99 Red Ovoids

Works perfectly for me (both on my Desire and my better half's Nokia) - visiting a friend's last night where I never get a signal it switched to the other network and I was able to make and receive calls, text messages and use data.

Guest dr_sherman

It sure works, it automatically switches over. The problem being that once it has switched over it stays on the roaming network which causes you to lose data/3G... switched mine to manual for the time being...

Guest dchuraman

works for me, it switches over automatically when i lose T-Mobile but like mentioned above, it tends to stay on T-Orange for longer than it should, but calls and text work and 2g data works. 3g data will be coming early next year, and then it will also seamlessly switch between networks even during a call, when it detects the one that has the better signal.

Guest volatile_ink

Been with Orange for about 10 years. Data coverage has gone out the window (which is incidentally where I have to dangle myself and my phone to get any chance of a signal). Only found out about this merge today and thanks to ascot17 got the number to send the text to. Just had a reply saying they'll be in touch shortly.... Hope it's not longer than 18 Months, because when my contracts up I'll be switching.

Seriously debating whether to get another smart phone or not. Got a cheap £20 Nokia for work use (on Vodafone) and could probably get a signal in Cheyenne Mountain Complex with it.

Anyone else think Orange is sh*t?

im on tmobile and just tried this out, searching network manually - lets you choose, t-mobile or t-mobile orange

t-mobile orange only 2g roaming signal at the moment. switched back to automatic and will test when i go home if it switches automatically, i get 0 t-mobile signal at home

Guest CaspaTheGhost
Anyone else think Orange is sh*t?

Data wise, YES!

Mine is now up and running and has automatically switched between the two... Looking forward to the new year so 3G data works as well!

Guest CaspaTheGhost
does anyone know if this works for virgin mobile? (as they use t-mobile network)

No it wont, only T-Mob and Orange as they have merged - this has nothing to do with Virgin and the airtime they buy from T-Mob...

Guest HearThatVoiceAgain
does anyone know if this works for virgin mobile? (as they use t-mobile network)

Probably not at the moment, but once T-mobile & Orange fully merge they will effectively be one network so it should in the future (though they may charge Virgin more for it)

Probably not at the moment, but once T-mobile & Orange fully merge they will effectively be one network so it should in the future (though they may charge Virgin more for it)

Working nicely for me on R9. Able to roam onto Orange and get a better signal at home. It hasn't switched automatically though probably because the TMo sig is not weak enough. So I just switch manually. I found a free app - Switch Network Type by SoftXPerience - which is quite handy for this :)

Guest hazi1964

Just signed up for this, however, when I try to connect on the orange network, it says my sim does not allow it. I don't have T-mobile orange listed, just t-mobile or orange as two separate networks. Does it take a while for it to start working after sign up? Have had confirmation text to say I can start using it.

It's ok, solved, rebooted my phone and it sorted it out. :-)))

Weird.

Alison

Edited by hazi1964

Guest CaspaTheGhost
Just signed up for this, however, when I try to connect on the orange network, it says my sim does not allow it. I don't have T-mobile orange listed, just t-mobile or orange as two separate networks. Does it take a while for it to start working after sign up? Have had confirmation text to say I can start using it.

It's ok, solved, rebooted my phone and it sorted it out. :-)))

Weird.

Alison

Any kind of sim update tends to need a reboot to fully activate... Welcome to the club...

Guest BashyUK

It works for me but isn't much use for when I am listening to Last.FM as it won't stream once switched to Orange and then takes ages to switch back so I have switched off data roaming and will just enable it when i know I need to be contactable on the phone.

Nice idea, awesome once full 3G/HDSPA is accessible.

Guest Calamity James

I've had this running since launch day, and while I get excellent roaming signal in the office now (T Mo coverage there is dire) it refuses to auto-roam as I still have a bit of a T Mobile signal left (even if it is 0 bars!). What would be awesome is an app that allows you to actually change which network to subscribe on at the touch of a button.

There's an app out there for Sprint CDMA handsets in America that needs root access, but forces the phone to roam. I've emailed the developer asking if he'd consider making one for GSM handsets, or if his will just work on our phones. I'll let you guys know if he replies!