Calendar and Contacts

Guest jonesian

Guest jonesian

Ok, I am completely new to this...

I have my sparkling new Orange SF and I'm trying it out for 7 days, if I can get used to it and make it do what I want, then obviously for £71 I'm keeping it, but I'll attempt to unlock it and get rid of all the Orange crap and use my Virgin account.

I have searched the forums for the answers (honest!), but I either can't find them, or didn't know I'd found them, and so ignored them (if you get what I mean), so if any kind soul could point me in the right direction for help on the following basics, I'd be really grateful!

I need a calenadar that I can synch with my desktop (XP), that I could maybe share with the wife and add football fixtures etc to, without it being a total ballache.

The handset keeps on about something called google calendar, I've had a look at this, but I'm not keen on it being online - I'd rather just have something on my handset (and the wife's) and my desktop that can be easily updated and synched - any recommendations?

Is goole calendar safe?

Contacts: currently I use windows live mail, which I don't particularly like, anyone suggest anything better for managing my multiple email accounts?

Contacts: can I get my contact numbers from a Samsung Jet (don't ask...) or have I got to painstakingly type out everything again?

Can all three of the above be managed together?

Is it possible to use basic excel spreadsheets on the handset - or is there another way?

GPS: anything that doesn't require permanent connection (only got 100mb/month)?

Is it possible to set up the handset so it automatically opts for wi-fi (if available), rather than using my allowance?

I think that's enough for now - thank you in advance :)

Ok, I am completely new to this...

I have my sparkling new Orange SF and I'm trying it out for 7 days, if I can get used to it and make it do what I want, then obviously for £71 I'm keeping it, but I'll attempt to unlock it and get rid of all the Orange crap and use my Virgin account.

I have searched the forums for the answers (honest!), but I either can't find them, or didn't know I'd found them, and so ignored them (if you get what I mean), so if any kind soul could point me in the right direction for help on the following basics, I'd be really grateful!

I need a calenadar that I can synch with my desktop (XP), that I could maybe share with the wife and add football fixtures etc to, without it being a total ballache.

The handset keeps on about something called google calendar, I've had a look at this, but I'm not keen on it being online - I'd rather just have something on my handset (and the wife's) and my desktop that can be easily updated and synched - any recommendations?

Is goole calendar safe?

Contacts: currently I use windows live mail, which I don't particularly like, anyone suggest anything better for managing my multiple email accounts?

Contacts: can I get my contact numbers from a Samsung Jet (don't ask...) or have I got to painstakingly type out everything again?

Can all three of the above be managed together?

Is it possible to use basic excel spreadsheets on the handset - or is there another way?

GPS: anything that doesn't require permanent connection (only got 100mb/month)?

Is it possible to set up the handset so it automatically opts for wi-fi (if available), rather than using my allowance?

I think that's enough for now - thank you in advance :)

In terms of syncing calendar to your home PC, I used to use google sync. It was able to sync google calendar to Outlook. Once I insert a new entry in outlook, it will be synced to gmail calendar. then, it will be syncs to my phone (both happens automatically)

Email: I setup my gmail to retrieve all my other personal email account (pop3/imap)

Contacts: See if you can export your contacts into the sim card (SE and Nokia phones all got this feature), then import it into your new phone.

with gmail, you will need to go through this process once (and do it properly!!!). Then, make sure your next phone can sync with gmail, and you will be sorted. (else... eish...)

excel on the phone: "document to go" - paid app from market.

GPS: there are sat-nav apps on the market able to do that.

WiFi: if you leave your wifi on, it will automatically connect to a AP when its in range. But leaving the WiFi on means consuming more power. Also, there are some problems with WiFi when the screen is off - it doesn't always reconnect.

Tried to answer your question in the order you asked. hope i didn't miss anything.

Guest ezablade

Just a couple of tips...

Syncing calendars... you can set up yours and your wife's Google calendars to share with each other, then, when you sync with the phone (auto works great), you get both calendars on your phones. I do it this way, sync from Outlook, up to Google, share with the wife and we both get updates if the other makes a change, only takes less than a minute for any change made by one to appear on the other's phone. We just make sure all entries are made on the one calendar, as the Outlook sync tool can only sync one Google account.

Contacts... don't export to sim!!!! Sim cards (at least some, if not all) cannot accept all the info from contacts. You may find multiple entries for contacts with multiple phone numbers, names truncated and some info missing altogether. Try it with a contact with multiple numbers, adress and other info, see what turns up. Best way is to exprt contacts to vcard, transfer them to your SD card and import them on to your contacts list.

Guest jonesian

Thanks - I've never used outlook or vcard.

My contacts at the moment are on a Samsung Jet and on the Samsung software on my PC - I can see no way to export them from this format?

I've managed to get Google calendar working and am slowly learning it's ways...

Guest ezablade
Thanks - I've never used outlook or vcard.

My contacts at the moment are on a Samsung Jet and on the Samsung software on my PC - I can see no way to export them from this format?

I've managed to get Google calendar working and am slowly learning it's ways...

Hmm.. having been unfortunate enough to have had to use the Samsung PC sync software, you have my sympathies, it truly was (is?) awful. Can you send contacts over bluetooth? May be worth trying to export to the sim, see what happens, it may be that I had a sim that couldn't cope, you never know.

Guest jonesian

Every time my google calendar syncs is it using some of my data allowance?

I ask because I have the virgin 30p a day access and I don't want to keep paying just to add one thing on my calendar?

If so, can I turn off the auto sync and just manually do it every so often - I really don't want to give Virgin more cash than is absolutely necessary!

Some sync tools do store data in CSV format, or export to csv format. And from what I can recall, google contacts can import/export CSV.

Also, is there an option in samsung sync tool to synchronise to outlook? I had that option in the motorola and nokia sync tools back in the day...

Also, if you can get the phone to connect to your wireless router at home (if you have one), then you won't have to pay virgin for your data usage. because it will be through your home broadband

Guest jonesian
Some sync tools do store data in CSV format, or export to csv format. And from what I can recall, google contacts can import/export CSV.

Also, is there an option in samsung sync tool to synchronise to outlook? I had that option in the motorola and nokia sync tools back in the day...

Also, if you can get the phone to connect to your wireless router at home (if you have one), then you won't have to pay virgin for your data usage. because it will be through your home broadband

I can't see anything in the Samsung tool.

Unfortunately I don't have a wireless router at home (don't need one, only got an ancient old desktop!)...

I'm really struggling with this - with other phones, there was a way to back up phone numbers and addresses to the computer to be easily edited etc.

Google contacts only seems to want to do email and I don't want email on my phone. I can't even find a google contacts prog on the web?

I've searched all round the calendar (blimey it's not very user friendly is it!), but can see nothing that resembles an address book to sync?

I suppose I use my phone as a calendar/diary/address book and to make notes on (so I need to find some way to synch notes to my PC aswell!?!)

Edited by jonesian