Photo

15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

* * * * * 18 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
673 replies to this topic

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco

is the Dell XCD35 same as zte blade??????

Yes

you your opinion is there a better spec phone than the ZTE blade ? in terms of camera with flash?

About 8, but they all start at about 400 quid.

TimJBart

TimJBart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Haven't been on modaco for a while :D I've been registered 7 years!!!

Getting an Orange San Francisco today in the post, and want to get rid of the horrible Orange software and put on something more useful. What is the recommended ROM if I only want to do this process once? I noticed in a poll thread that most people have gone for the Japanese Jellyfish 2.2 version. Is that basically the one considered to have the most bang for my buck, so to speak :P

Edited by TimJBart, 10 January 2011 - 09:46 AM.

Parallax20

Parallax20

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Devices:SPV C550
StevenHarperUK - I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago, but just wanted to say you're doing a great job of keeping this thread up-to-date. I check it almost everyday just to see what new info has been added!

I followed your guide and it was pretty straightforward to follow. Once clockwork recovery was installed it was pretty much all downhill from there. Just a simple case of download a rom and install. I just have to resist the temptation to keep reflashing every time a new ROM update appears :D

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Cheers to all the developers building custom roms too. I wouldn't have bought a San Francisco if it wasn't for the support on here and its forum members.

Thanks all.

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Haven't been on modaco for a while :D I've been registered 7 years!!!

Getting an Orange San Francisco today in the post, and want to get rid of the horrible Orange software and put on something more useful. What is the recommended ROM if I only want to do this process once? I noticed in a poll thread that most people have gone for the Japanese Jellyfish 2.2 version. Is that basically the one considered to have the most bang for my buck, so to speak :P

Yes good choice.

umster

umster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Yes
About 8, but they all start at about 400 quid.

Cheers Steven, Thanks :D

simonckenyon

simonckenyon

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Devices:osf, tp101
  • Twitter:@simonckenyon

Yes good choice.

you say that the japanese jellyfish is a good choice.

i installed it for a week and have gone back to r9 of Sebastian404's de-orangeated ROM

jellyfish was really nice in that froyo is a major improvement (exchange calendar sync, last name contact sort)

but the GPS did not work (with or without the gps.conf change), the leds were always on and it absolutely chewed through the battary (overclocked or not)

jthearson

jthearson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:orange san francisco
hi Steven, can you help me with something, i am a complete beginner. I need a microSDHC card - does it have to be a particular speed? Would class 4 be OK for a smart phone ROM update?

triobot

triobot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Devices:OSF , SGS2
I think this should also be on the front of the forums as well as the ROM section. Its pretty useful to be honest.

Makinit

Makinit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Thank you for this comprehensive guide. One small error I noticed: the last column's name in the ROM comparison table says "Titainium Backup".

Salsaholic

Salsaholic

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade aka OSF
Steve, this is one of the most useful forum posts I have ever seen! Thanks a million for it!

I used the guide on our family-Blades a few times, now finally reaching Froyo with JJ6.

Thanks to your very helpful comparison table it was easy to spot "my" perfect ROM to start with.

Again, thanks for this great work and for keeping it up-to-date, with all those changes!

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

I think this should also be on the front of the forums as well as the ROM section. Its pretty useful to be honest.

Done

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

hi Steven, can you help me with something, i am a complete beginner. I need a microSDHC card - does it have to be a particular speed? Would class 4 be OK for a smart phone ROM update?

I have a class 4 in mine
My Sons has a class2

The free one is class2 - I cannot tell the difference except when I am copying ROMS to the device over USB.

HMZX

HMZX

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Devices:Orange SF (ZTE Blade)
might confuse people

Total Phone Transfer

This technique uses a much lower level method of updating your ROM.

It is MUCH simpler than using Fastboot, installing Clockwork and then Putting a ROM on your phone.

However it is NEW, and in development - and only 1 ROM is currently available.

theres 3 roms available now
just to avoid confusion... :D :P

Posted Image

IF I HELPED YOU, KEEP ME OFF THE STREETS :D

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

might confuse people
theres 3 roms available now
just to avoid confusion... :D :P

ta fixed

TimJBart

TimJBart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
EDIT - Sorry, I've just seen that the jellyfish ROM is pre-rooted so I should just follow the steps in post 1 as described. Thanks

Hi, I've seen some posts mentioning the fact you have to root the phone, prior to loading the JJ 2.2. Does this need to be done in order for my Orange sim to be used with this custom rom?

So, the order would be:

root san francisco - (how do I do this!? I don't have sim for another network)
install clockwork mod recovery with fastboot
boot clockwork, upload ROM and install

Can the rooting/unlocking of the device be done after I install the custom jellyfish ROM if I get SIM Network Pin Error?

Edited by TimJBart, 10 January 2011 - 09:59 PM.

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Hi, I've seen some posts mentioning the fact you have to root the phone, prior to loading the JJ 2.2. Does this need to be done in order for my Orange sim to be used with this custom rom?

So, the order would be:

root san francisco - (how do I do this!? I don't have sim for another network)
install clockwork mod recovery with fastboot
boot clockwork, upload ROM and install

Can the rooting/unlocking of the device be done after I install the custom jellyfish ROM if I get SIM Network Pin Error?

Thanks

No you don't have to root, you have to have your phone SIM unlocked

Check here http://android.modac...-and-zte-blade/

TimJBart

TimJBart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

No you don't have to root, you have to have your phone SIM unlocked

Check here http://android.modac...-and-zte-blade/

Ok thanks. The unlock guides mention the last step is putting in a sim from another carrier and then entering my unlock code. With the custom ROM, will my Orange SIM just be the "other carrier" SIM and allow me to enter the code? Or do I need a vodafone or O2 sim to get the Sim unlock code prompt?

Sorry for the stupid questions

Edited by TimJBart, 10 January 2011 - 10:08 PM.

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Ok thanks. The unlock guides mention the last step is putting in a sim from another carrier and then entering my unlock code. With the custom ROM, will my Orange SIM just be the "other carrier" SIM and allow me to enter the code? Or do I need a vodafone or O2 sim to get the Sim unlock code prompt?

Sorry for the stupid questions

The Questions are valid - you need another non-orange SIM to get the prompt.

malavhe

malavhe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

1st problem is that you got the filename wrong - well I did - I updated the post very recently

recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img is the new filename

Waiting for device means that the drivers are not installed correctly.

If you cant restart with fastboot, then yes the battery has to come out.

Could you try the Stage 1 without a PC (right near the bottom of the guide)

ALTERNATE Stage 1: Install ClockworkMod - Flash Clockwork without Fastboot

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your answer. In the end I decided that installing all the android SDK and JDE was too much work.
I instead took another piece of your advice from the first post and created an Ubuntu live CD. Once I hade figured out that I needed to redownload clockwork and fastboot from within Ubuntu to get run permissions it was smooth sailing.

Thank you!

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your answer. In the end I decided that installing all the android SDK and JDE was too much work.
I instead took another piece of your advice from the first post and created an Ubuntu live CD. Once I hade figured out that I needed to redownload clockwork and fastboot from within Ubuntu to get run permissions it was smooth sailing.

Thank you!

Well done

You could have also used the command

chmod +x <FILE>

to change the permissions to run allow

or you can right click on a file in ubuntu and choose properties and there is a checkbox in the permissions tab

still well done

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users