Time to jump ship?

Guest amdzero

Guest Ninja4Hire
Today being the launch of Windows Phone 7, the new Omnia7 phone has details posted on Samsung's website. Will USA carriers get any love?

http://www.samsunghub.com/2010/10/11/samsu...-gets-official/

lol I was just gonna post this. WTF Omnia not on Verizon....

http://www.omnia7.samsungmobile.com/

Edited by Ninja4Hire

Guest Fogfire
Feels like Verizon is not gonna focus on 7... android, blackberry and maybe iphone... ?

Did they announce the Verizon Versions of other Omnia phones at same time?

But yes I suspect Verizon is not looking for an iphone killer. Knowing the Apple imperial way, they may have had to make promises to get iphone.

I am not sold on Win 7 UI yet.. much prefer the control I have on MS 3.5.

But the I love the shape and battery door placement etc.

Did they announce the Verizon Versions of other Omnia phones at same time?

I believe so... in fact I think the original Omnia and Omnia II both had strong verizon presence during their rumor stages, etc...

But yes I suspect Verizon is not looking for an iphone killer. Knowing the Apple imperial way, they may have had to make promises to get iphone.

I am not sold on Win 7 UI yet.. much prefer the control I have on MS 3.5.

But the I love the shape and battery door placement etc.

Agree... would like MS 3.5 to work a bit better ... the disappointing thing for me with my current phone is the lack of social networking integration (facebook, linked in), etc... The MS facebook app stinks... can't do much with m.facebook and ms 3.5. always makes me log in... (yeah, I have seen the different fix recommendations)..

So, it appears that Android might be the lesser of evils... esp with what I have read about the lockdown on Win 7...

Looks like a pretty generic phone, certainly no reason to jump to a locked system when you can get the exact same thing on samsungs androids or half the other phones currently out there, with the other half having better hardware...they didn't even upgrade the camera.

Feels like Verizon is not gonna focus on 7... android, blackberry and maybe iphone... ?

It looks like they're dropping RIM as well, and with no iphone visible on the horizon the only thing they are going to have is androids for awhile. There is palm but I haven't heard a single thing out of them since the pre and pixi and after the very sub-par hardware on those I wouldn't put much faith in them.

Edited by bmt10

Guest awarner

The interface is far from ugly, it's practicle and constanly updating. Forgt how WM series interface worked this is completly different with the use of live tiles rather than static icons.

You have to see and use it to apreciate what it is about, a simple screen shot does not do it justice.

I am just talking about how it looks, and it isn't pretty. It needs to be configurable, colors, styles, etc., or it isn't how I want my phone to look. It is a turn off for me.

Guest tedkord
The interface is far from ugly, it's practicle and constanly updating. Forgt how WM series interface worked this is completly different with the use of live tiles rather than static icons.

You have to see and use it to apreciate what it is about, a simple screen shot does not do it justice.

No, I've gotta agree. WM 7 UI is butt ugly.

Guest tedkord
wait 'til you see it in person

Well, if just half of what is rumored for WM7 turns out to be true, it won't matter what the UI looks like - I'm jumping ship, and swimming over to another fleet altogether. I'll be boarding the S.S. Android. The move to copy all of Apple's worst points will keep me away.

But still, if that's what I see every time I wake my phone - no thanks. Better let me put a 3rd party UI on it.

Guest cliffco823

I need to see it in person. Honestly it would have to be pretty spectacular for me to switch. I think MS is so far behind the curve (like a year) that they won't be able to catch up.

Guest tivill777

believe there's some reasoning behind this like the CDMA version of WP7 comes after the "tested" GSM version

I need to see it in person. Honestly it would have to be pretty spectacular for me to switch. I think MS is so far behind the curve (like a year) that they won't be able to catch up.

I wouldn't say that, they've been trailing behind in the open smart phone market but with WP7 they should sky rocket ahead of the iphone in the closed big brother "smart" phone market, assuming they can get the marketing and prices right.

Of course that's no good to any of us here.

Guest Ninja4Hire

I can't guarantee that WP7 is an iphone killer or android slapper (whatever), but it will not fail for sure. Not that you asked :)

Reason why I think WP7 is a GO!

1. MS is all in on this one - For the record, they were not all in on KIN

2. Built in MS Office compatibility above all others - Only crackberry can compete with that

3. Xbox intergration - Until Android and Sony build the PSPhone, this is an awesome option for gamers

4. Zune Pass - $15 month, all the music you want

5. Day one will have 9+ phones world wide - Day one android had 1 phone on 1 or 2 networks. Apple still has 1 on 1 (talking US)

6. AT&T is all in and so is HTC - I still question Samsungs all in-ness

7. The interface is different - for those who like it will be drawn in and as more features are available, it can only get better

8. Everything is hackable - EVERYTHING!

I for one like the interface and can't wait to play with it on a daily basis (next year). I like the HD7 and the Omnia 7. To curb any android needs, I plan on getting the Samsung tab.

Edited by Ninja4Hire

Guest haveitnow

WP7 is ugly, that phone is ugly. Specs are nothing special, why would anyone want that phone.

One real problem I see with wp7. They don't have a tablet and don't have plans for one. I'd go so far as to say that that UI doesn't port to the Tablet form factor for sh*t. Everyone who's got an iphone likes the ipad because it looks and works like the iphone. Everyone who has and android phone likes the android tablets for the same reason. Even the Windows mobile users could convince themselves that the windows 7 or windows ce tables were similar to there phones(even if not true), but what tablet are the WP7 users supposed to identify. That means that if I'm looking for a phone and a tablet i'm probably looking away from M$.

Guest amdzero
WP7 is ugly, that phone is ugly. Specs are nothing special, why would anyone want that phone.

One real problem I see with wp7. They don't have a tablet and don't have plans for one. I'd go so far as to say that that UI doesn't port to the Tablet form factor for sh*t. Everyone who's got an iphone likes the ipad because it looks and works like the iphone. Everyone who has and android phone likes the android tablets for the same reason. Even the Windows mobile users could convince themselves that the windows 7 or windows ce tables were similar to there phones(even if not true), but what tablet are the WP7 users supposed to identify. That means that if I'm looking for a phone and a tablet i'm probably looking away from M$.

I think that MS is going to revolutionize the way we think about phones. I also think that MS is WAY behind the power curve on this one. They shied away from the "business" users in favor of a iphone-sentric style of interface.

I'll agree that WP7 looks don't say a whole lot now, but there is two sides to the form/function coin. I think if HTC can "adapt" Windows Mobile into a living interface, then there will be hope for WP7 (even if it must adhere to some strict requirements)

As for the tablet scene, give me a break. Tables have been out for how long now? And it JUST became popular because Steve Jobs said so. I don't want to feel like a zombie here, but hello apple don't you remember your OWN 1984 superbowl commercial? Why should we become mindless drones to the machine that has become iphone/ipod/ipad? The ONE reason I like Windows Mobile right now is because like a recipe I can change it completely the way I like it. Granted the ingredients aren't the best to work with but still, I don't have to look at the same iphone ui all day. I like options.

And that is why "I" think that a tablet shouldn't be a supersized phone. While the ipad looks bad-ass I like Windows 7 way too much to jump to "THAT" ship.

I'll Wait for HP Slate b/c I have way to much "invested" in Windows to throw it all away.

Oh and btw I think I AM institutionalized (LOL)

Guest teege51

Tablet ??? Jeez...give me a break !

At least pre- I-Pad tablets functioned as a small notebook, and do NOT require a contract to own or use. IF you want a tablet to have phone capabilities, then WHY take away the PC interface so that you're now effectively reduced to using whatever the Carrier or ISP or Google allows you to use?

After all, the APPS that Apple and Droid are offering you (for profit), are rudimentary and inferior to full scale PC software programs.....and do you REALLY want to carry around a tablet to make a phone call ??

A POINT to offer here: Until your carrier has a full fledged 4G network in widespread operation, tablets will be severely restricted....even MORE than what some think applies now to Win7 phones.

MS took the inevitable plunge towards ENDING the previous WinMo OS. New hardware and capabilities certainly require it.

IMHO- Pretty icons and GUI's work nicely for handheld video game platforms....I value functionality and productivity first.

The adaptive nature of W7 OS and the clout of M$ hardware partnerships bode well for it, AND this Forum.

Guest amdzero
the latest rumor says that omnia 7 will run wp7 STANDARD......................................not professional like other devices will run

your telling me there is more than one version of wp7? come on MS! Just make ONE VERSION, let the chefs sort out the rest :)

Guest teege51
your telling me there is more than one version of wp7? come on MS! Just make ONE VERSION, let the chefs sort out the rest :)

I beg to differ..... History has shown that the more versions there are, the more avenues of 'hackability' there will be.

ALSO, it logically follows that these first WP7 offerings are merely "entry" devices whose hardware is not fully capable of utilizing WP7 professional.

I just don't understand the point of a tablet...I have my phone and I have my laptop(15.6 inch). If I wanted something in between I would get a netbook that can do about everything a laptop can do. What's the point of a tablet? That it's slightly smaller or slightly larger than a phone?