The HTC HD 7 'Ask Paul' topic

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm fortunate enough to have a HTC HD 7 and prior to my full review, i'm giving you the chance to ask me any questions you'd liked answer about HTC's new Windows Phone 7 flagship (or indeed the OS) itself.

Feel free to post your questions below! :)

P

Guest pdauser92
I'm fortunate enough to have a HTC HD 7 and prior to my full review, i'm giving you the chance to ask me any questions you'd liked answer about HTC's new Windows Phone 7 flagship (or indeed the OS) itself.

Feel free to post your questions below! :)

P

Hi Paul,

Can you confirm whether or not it supports external storage? Also, do you think it'll be "hackable" in the near future? :)

Guest R0K2puZ

Hey Paul, thanks for doing this :)

-Is the screen noticeably dull compared to the Galaxy S (Super AMOLED) or even the SLCD Desire?

-Are there any notable HTC customizations on WP7?

-Have you had a poke around for a possibility of a root/jailbreak? (Had to be asked :))

Edited by R0K2puZ

Hi Paul.

I'm a resident in Sweden, and according to the news we got is that the HD7 won't be on sale here.

You don't happened to have any information about unlocked HD7s being sold at all?

About the screen, some people say it's a regular LCD; some say it's S-LCD, any clue what it is?

This topic has been up about the Desire HD and we then have been told that there is no 4.3" S-LCD due to the cost.

Thanks.

Guest Gerald.D

Hey Paul -

Would really appreciate it if you could investigate how access to the marketplace is controlled.

Is it by SIM, credit card location, or by some other method?

Thanks!

Hi Paul,

Can you confirm whether or not it supports external storage? Also, do you think it'll be "hackable" in the near future? :)

Yes, I can confirm it does NOT support external storage. Bearing in mind there's no microSD slot, I don't see it being hacked in any time soon!

P

Hey Paul, thanks for doing this :)

-Is the screen noticeably dull compared to the Galaxy S (Super AMOLED) or even the SLCD Desire?

-Are there any notable HTC customizations on WP7?

-Have you had a poke around for a possibility of a root/jailbreak? (Had to be asked :))

- It's SLCD I believe, so it stands up well against the desire. It's noticeably 'different' to the SAMOLED Samsung. The default black theme of WP7 real looks awesome on the OLED.

- Yeah, a HTC Hub with a few HTC apps in. No customisations at the top layer (nobody is allowed).

- No. :)

P

Hey Paul -

Would really appreciate it if you could investigate how access to the marketplace is controlled.

Is it by SIM, credit card location, or by some other method?

Thanks!

I will see what I can work out.

P

According to specs the HD7 seems to be running an outdated snapdragon platform, what are your thought upon this considering the newer gen snapdragon devices are already shipping? And WP7 being based on a black background, how do the blacks look on the non-amoled screen?

Thanks Paul!

According to specs the HD7 seems to be running an outdated snapdragon platform, what are your thought upon this considering the newer gen snapdragon devices are already shipping? And WP7 being based on a black background, how do the blacks look on the non-amoled screen?

Thanks Paul!

WP7 is INCREDIBLY fast. And yes, it's technically outdated, but it's still a pretty awesome chipset.

Blacks on the non amoled screen look like they always do... dark grey.

:)

P

Guest thelondonthing
How are you finding the live tiles? I wonder what the basic bandwith usage will be if it is constantly going to ping to check for updates.

Indeed, I was wondering this myself. Between the live tiles constantly updating, the photos, contacts, calendar and messages syncing with the cloud, streaming of Zune music on the move, plus regular usage of internet and emails, I can't imagine that the paltry 1GB of data that is included with standard tariffs is going to come close to being sufficient every month.

I can see some pretty chunky data billing come my way in the not-too-distant future...

Guest Bibbleq

Hi Paul,

Any info on how the OneNote integration works:

• Does it only sync to one notebook?
  • Can you choose to open other notebooks as well?
  • with the "open notebook" can you see all sections and notes, or just stuff in the root?

Thanks Paul!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the HD7 (along with some other Windows Phone 7 Devices) are shipping with a MSM8250 Snapdragon which is the 2nd Gen Snapdragon (Identical too MSM8255 which you find in Desire HD).

Can you shed any light Paul?

Edited by Aanuka

Guest DanWilson

Hey P,

Big question, which truck driver did you have to point a gun at to get an HD7? And do you have extras? Might wean me off Android.

Doubt it, but I could sell it and get a Desire Z. And buy Modaco Ad-Free / Plus. And you know you want my money :)

Guest AlessandroIT

As for the UI and mainly for the browser, does it feel as smooth as iOS?

What happens in the browser when a flash animation is displayed? Does it lag as android do, or not?

I'm lovin this new WP7..

Guest Batkoto
Hi Paul,

As far as I know it is Microsoft Hardware requirement that External memory should not be available to WP7 by all OEM's