The HTC HD 7 'Ask Paul' topic

Guest PaulOBrien

When are you gonna send it to me? =P

Multi point digitizer or the old 2000 series digitizer?

Say the former, say the former, say the former....

Er, do you mean resistive or capacitive (multitouch)? All WP7 devices are capacitive.

P

As for the UI and mainly for the browser, does it feel as smooth as iOS?

What happens in the browser when a flash animation is displayed? Does it lag as android do, or not?

I'm lovin this new WP7..

It feels as smooth if not smoother than iOS!

P

Hi Paul

Now that you have the HD7 in your hands Can you confirm that the ability to tether to PC for data sharing has been removed

Thanks

Yes, there is no tethering option.

P

Er, do you mean resistive or capacitive (multitouch)? All WP7 devices are capacitive.

P

I think he means the digitizer, for example being able to hold down A on the keyboard and still write other letters. Like the digitizer on Galaxy S, while on the Desire you had some problems doing it.

Given the similarity of the hardware, would it be possible to port WP7 to Desire/N1?

Ahem... possibly not quite the sort of question you were looking for but somebody had to ask it. :)

Guest CarmineD

Hey paul, thanks for your time.

I was wondering if you could shed some light on the GPS capabilities of the HD7?

I notice in some spec the phone has A-GPS, what does this stand for?

Is there any more detail you can provide on the GPS capabilities of the phone.

I particularly enjoy using my phone as a gps device for training, geocaching and trecking so I would love any info you could provide here.

Also, don't know if you can answer this one, but here goes anyway, in Australia, will Telstra have the rights to the phone for a limeted time or for ever?

Cheers

Edited by CarmineD

Guest awarner

CarminD please do not cross post and ask the same question twice, I have answered your A-GPS question HERE

Normally the rights to exclusivly sell a device is around six months but it depends on the deal they have made.

Guest Gerald.D
I will see what I can work out.

P

Cheers Paul, look forward to the answer if you can, and very much looking forward to the review.

One more question if I may - I'm confused as to whether or not the browser supports Silverlight. Can you check www.photosynth.net and say whether the synths/panoramas are viewable?

Guest muncheese

P

The digitizer, the desire and nexus used the shitty series of touch panels. Everything after that was proper digitizer hardware, but since this is essentially a rebadged HD2 I'm wonder if they skimped on the digitizer.

Guest Killian

Hi Paul,

I'd be interested in hearing how it integrates with other email providers such as Google. I have a Live Account which I use for Xbox Live buy my hotmail account is full of spam and I never touch it, can you see a means to integrate an email provider of your choice (in my case Google/Gmail) or does it force your hotmail account emails through?

K

Guest awarner

You can sync with numerous different types of email accounts,

Windows Live

Outlook

Yahoo Mail

Gmail

Facebook

Plus an option to add a different account not listed above.

Guest awarner

What is the device like in daylight conditions? Just seen one of the hands on videos on Youtube by James submitted under leodee and it's like a mirror refection which is a bit of a concern.

Hi Paul

2 things I use on my Desire that I would not do without.

- USB Mass Storage access so I don't need to install any software on my PC to copy files to the device (including mp3s)

- WIFI Thether, I know this isn't available but it there any form of sharing the connection, I'd settle for Bluetooth DUN

If those two options were there I'd give WP7 a shot, I'm very happy with my Desire but I was also very happy on Win Mob for many years and would like to give WM7 a go.

Thanks

gR

Guest muddymudskipper

Hi Paul.

Could you try to get some info from the handset about the processor? There are conflictiong reports around the internet, some saying this has the first generation QSD8250 Snapdragon, some saying it has the second generation MSM 8250 (which doesn't even seem to exist on the Qualcomm website).

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Can you sync with Google calendar , does it support multi exchange accounts ?

If yes then I'm sold but looking at Orange they seem to have got their bloat stuff on the unit already . T-Mobile are offering 3gb with this phone per month , not seen any others otherings so cant comment . Take this and now sharing Orange network too this looks lie a good deal at £35 a month

Guest muddymudskipper

I would also like to know about podcasts and what the service is like on the go. Can you download or stream podcasts straigh to the handset? Or do you have to use the Zune software?

Thanks again.

Hi Paul,

Can you sync with Google calendar , does it support multi exchange accounts ?

A earlier preview I read said WP7 can sync with Google Calendar but only the main calendar. A fix was promised for launch.

Paul, are you able to check shared Google Calendars can be synched please. If not, can it sync multiple Windows Live Calendars?

If yes then I'm sold but looking at Orange they seem to have got their bloat stuff on the unit already . T-Mobile are offering 3gb with this phone per month , not seen any others otherings so cant comment . Take this and now sharing Orange network too this looks lie a good deal at £35 a month

The HD7 is exclusive to O2, right?

I think he means the digitizer, for example being able to hold down A on the keyboard and still write other letters. Like the digitizer on Galaxy S, while on the Desire you had some problems doing it.

The engadget video showed a guy holding down a key and others responding.

Any news on PC connectivity?

I assume with Windows Live you can sync Mail, Contacts and Calendar over the air using EAS for Windows Live.

What about audio - do you have to use Zune or can you sync frmo Media Player?

Can the phone appear as a USB drive for file transfer?

Guest awarner

Sync your mail over the air is possible from memory.

As for syncing with your home pc then Zune is the only option as far as I know. Most syncing is now done in the background when you put your phone on charge.

Guest WhiteHartMart

Paul

Being torn between this and the Omnia 7 - can you comment on:-

- Camera quality - got a Samsung Wave right now and 5mp camera is really decent - concerned that HTC camera not at same standard

- Speaker quality - previous HTC phones I've owned have had, imo, awful speakers - I see the HD7 has stereo - how does it sound?

Cheers :)

A earlier preview I read said WP7 can sync with Google Calendar but only the main calendar. A fix was promised for launch.

Paul, are you able to check shared Google Calendars can be synched please. If not, can it sync multiple Windows Live Calendars?

The HD7 is exclusive to O2, right?

Yes you are right about the HD7 , I was quoting more on the deals with data on the different providers . Sorry wasn't very clear

Hi Paul

2 things I use on my Desire that I would not do without.

- USB Mass Storage access so I don't need to install any software on my PC to copy files to the device (including mp3s)

- WIFI Thether, I know this isn't available but it there any form of sharing the connection, I'd settle for Bluetooth DUN

If those two options were there I'd give WP7 a shot, I'm very happy with my Desire but I was also very happy on Win Mob for many years and would like to give WM7 a go.

Thanks

gR

Neither of those area available on WP7!

P