The HTC HD 7 'Ask Paul' topic

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Paul.

Could you try to get some info from the handset about the processor? There are conflictiong reports around the internet, some saying this has the first generation QSD8250 Snapdragon, some saying it has the second generation MSM 8250 (which doesn't even seem to exist on the Qualcomm website).

Thanks

It's the original QSD8250.

P

Guest Kiwi Dave
Any news on PC connectivity?

I assume with Windows Live you can sync Mail, Contacts and Calendar over the air using EAS for Windows Live.

What about audio - do you have to use Zune or can you sync frmo Media Player?

Can the phone appear as a USB drive for file transfer?

Not sure if you can sync via Media Player - but why would you want to? The Zune software is free (you don't have to have a seperate Zune device, or even a WP7 to download) and it also controls the Apps store. If you install Zune Software now, you can see the Apps that are currently avaliable for WP7 devices, you just can't download them until you attach a WP7.

No - the phone can't be used as a USB device for file transfer.

Guest WhiteHartMart
Probably a bit early to tell if you've just got it, but how's the battery life?

Be interested to know this too - especially given HTC seem to have lumbered this phone will a smaller battery than everyone else?

Guest mpe0426

Also interested in battery life.

Have not seen anything at all at any site about this, and trying to figure out how power optimized WP7 is in general. (Anyone else know anything about this?)

Edited by mpe0426

Guest thelondonthing

Hey Paul,

As mentioned in this article at Neowin, it seems that HTC are selling microSD cards as accessories for their Windows Phone 7 devices.

In fact, you can see here at the official HTC Accessory Store that it specifically lists a range of microSD cards as "HTC HD7 memory" options - and the same options are available for the other HTC WP7 handsets announced.

Any idea what the story is there?

Guest Kiwi Dave
Hey Paul,

As mentioned in this article at Neowin, it seems that HTC are selling microSD cards as accessories for their Windows Phone 7 devices.

In fact, you can see here at the official HTC Accessory Store that it specifically lists a range of microSD cards as "HTC HD7 memory" options - and the same options are available for the other HTC WP7 handsets announced.

Any idea what the story is there?

this has to be a mistake. who in their right mind would want to put a 2GB memory card in the phone.

From what I've heard the memory card isn't replacable in this phone, only in one of the Samsungs.... but I think it's all just rumours at the moment.

Be interested to know this too - especially given HTC seem to have lumbered this phone will a smaller battery than everyone else?

I'm finding it on par with my other devices, it lasts a full day for my usage.

P

Guest awarner
Correct, you can't replace the microSD!

P

Could you explain that a bit more please or add a photo?

So if it has a card why can it not be replaced or does it serve another function that just storage?

It's not accessible at all, on the HD7 it's 'inside the case'.

It's all encrypted specific for that device, and if you were to remove or replace it, the device would stop working!

P

Guest Mysterious Stranger
It's not accessible at all, on the HD7 it's 'inside the case'.

It's all encrypted specific for that device, and if you were to remove or replace it, the device would stop working!

P

Now that, to me, sounds like a challenge!!!!

Just picked up a HD7 on my lunch hour. Bit dissappointing with the o2 shop experience.... had to ask them to check if they had stock than convince them they could sell it today as they seemed to think it launched tomorrow.... no point of sale either. I had more windows mobile branded stuff on me than they did...but I did buy a palm pixi as well. £109 PAYG - BaRgAiN!!!!

Anyways, back to the HD7 memory. Had similar stuff with HDD based high end media servers from Imerge. They tie their linux based image to a particular brand of HDD based on the HDD platter size. To increase in capacity according to Imerge the unit has to go back to the factory and have an approved upgrade and new image installed. Swopping discs a-la sky boxes doesn't work. Changing the mount points of the volume does though. But I digress...

I'm sure given time and cheap availability of 32gb micro SD's someone at xda devs will sort it. As there are 8 and 16gb flavours of HD7 ( 16gb from o2 despite HTC saying europe only gets 8gb) there must be a way to pair up - especially since removable flash has additional gubbins to go wrong and corrupt the memory etc. These must be changable at a service level so one day that will be got around....

I don't really *need* more than 16gb IMO anyway - it's just I feel slightly locked in and resentful - like apple and their non-replaceable battery iphones. By the time I need 32gb etc it'll be time for a new phone anyway!

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest forelli

Just picked up a HD7 on my lunch hour. Bit dissappointing with the o2 shop experience.... had to ask them to check if they had stock than convince them they could sell it today as they seemed to think it launched tomorrow.... no point of sale either. I had more windows mobile branded stuff on me than they did...but I did buy a palm pixi as well. £109 PAYG - BaRgAiN!!!!

Anyways, back to the HD7 memory. Had similar stuff with HDD based high end media servers from Imerge. They tie their linux based image to a particular brand of HDD based on the HDD platter size. To increase in capacity according to Imerge the unit has to go back to the factory and have an approved upgrade and new image installed. Swopping discs a-la sky boxes doesn't work. Changing the mount points of the volume does though. But I digress...

I'm sure given time and cheap availability of 32gb micro SD's someone at xda devs will sort it. As there are 8 and 16gb flavours of HD7 ( 16gb from o2 despite HTC saying europe only gets 8gb) there must be a way to pair up - especially since removable flash has additional gubbins to go wrong and corrupt the memory etc. These must be changable at a service level so one day that will be got around....

I don't really *need* more than 16gb IMO anyway - it's just I feel slightly locked in and resentful - like apple and their non-replaceable battery iphones. By the time I need 32gb etc it'll be time for a new phone anyway!

M.S

Here is an explanation about the storage: it's said to be expandable but not removable. The technical stuff is here

f.

@Mysterious Stranger - is your O2 HD7 locked to O2?

Yup. Found a place online reckons they can unlock for $25. Will post links etc if it works.

o2 MVNO eg gioffgaff, tesco et al work fine.

M.S

edit - now unlocked - http://www.modaco.com/content/htc-hd-7-hd7...ed-for-s25-usd/

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Here is an explanation about the storage: it's said to be expandable but not removable. The technical stuff is here

f.

Thanks. Sounds like they've interleaved the storage to make access time faster maybe? But how am I meant to deploy images via micro SD now?... :-(

M.S

Hi Paul,

What is the sum level of O2 branding on the phone i.e. software and external hardware?

Cheers.

Not Paul, but I;ve got one :-)

anyway... no hardware branding, an o2 splash screen, an o2 blue theme that can be changed, and an unlock screen of the millenium dome that o2 sponser.

Once unlocked the device prompts you for other network settings as well which is nice.

May be other stuff missing or added, no 'plain rom' htc device to compare to, and only quickly played with a mozart last week.

HTH.

M.S

quick question before getting the hd7 tomorrow, can you turn off 3g when not in use? its made my htc hero last forever!

Sure can. It's under settings / network then 'use 3g when available' can be toggled on or off.

M.S

Guest gandalf027

Paul,

Two questions :P

- You are an android user as me, how does it feel to make the wp7 the day mobile for everything?

- have you instaled some apps? I've been reading that instaling some apps makes the wp7 lag and chop a bit .. do you confirm this?

Thanks m8

Guest forelli
Sure can. It's under settings / network then 'use 3g when available' can be toggled on or off.

M.S

Hi, a stupid question: can you listen to music and check /answer your emails or write a sms at the same time?

M.S

Haha, indeed!

I actually WOULD like 32GB, my music collection is ~25GB. :P

P

Guest forelli
Haha, indeed!

I actually WOULD like 32GB, my music collection is ~25GB. :P

P

And what about this? a 2TB microSD! I'll wait until this comes on the market before I buy a WP7. 2TB! Holy sh*t!

f.