Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

AdventVega2.jpg

And so the tablet wars heat up... Retail giant the Dixons Group (owners of Currys and PC World) have announced that they are to stock 2 Android based tablet devices in time for the Christmas season.

The first device, the Amico, is the lowest priced unit at just £129.99. The device packs a 7" touchscreen, camera, WiFi and Android 2.1. It's screen is resistive. Yuk. There's no place for resistive screens in today's marketplace, so you probably want to ignore this one.

Far more interesting is the second device, the Vega. Priced at £249.99, the Vega packs the punch that the Amico is missing. Highlights include a 10.1" CAPACITIVE touchscreen, a 1GHz NVidia Tegra chipset and Android 2.2.

Full specs...

• Product Name:
  • Product ID: P10AN01
  • Processor: Nvidia T20 Tegra 2
  • Processor speed: 1GHz
  • RAM: 512MB
  • ROM: 512MB
  • Included microSD Card: 4GB
  • Screen resolution: 1024 x 600
  • Widescreen: yes
  • LED Screen: yes
  • WiFi: 802.11bg
  • Bluetooth: 2.1 +EDR
  • Memory card Reader: microSD card
  • Webcam: 1.3 Megapixels
  • Touch screen technology: Projective Capacitive
  • Multi-touch: 4 fingers

• Built-in 3G broadband SIM card slot: yes
  • Battery Type: Li-Polymer
  • Number of battery cells: 2
  • Battery life :
    • Play Audio (LCD off) : 16hr
    • Play 1080p Video : 6.5hr
    • Stand by : 4 days

[*]Operating System: Android 2.2 Froyo

[*]Microphone: yes

[*]Dimensions: 275mm / 178mm / 13.6mm

[*]Weight: 700~750g

[*]Colour: Black

To be honest, these specs read like a wish list of what many of us would want in a tablet device. The latest Android release, the powerful Tegra chipset, 6.5 hours of 1080P playback and, working on the assumption that the specifications are correct, integrated 3G?!? [edit: I think we'll probably get the SIM slot but no 3G hardware]. Providing the device can perform to the sum of it's parts, it could be a winner against the either inferior specified or hugely more expensive (i'm looking at YOU Galaxy Tab!) rivals.

The devices are scheduled to hit retail from the 18th October... we will of course be getting our hands on and reviewing one as soon as possible... as well as putting up lots more pictures (unfortunately we have only the rather nondescript press shot at this time).

Now, I know a lot of you will be less than enthused by the Advent name on the Vega. Advent is simply the brand applied to generically acquired DSGi group devices. Once upon a time, a device appeared on the scene - back when netbooks were those 'new fangled things' - called the Advent 4211. It actually turned out to be a rebranded MSI Wind U100 and was one of the best (and best value) netbooks ever made. Here's hoping history is about to repeat itself...

I'll be creating the http://Vega.MoDaCo.com discussion forum shortly and posting more information there and in this topic as it becomes available! :)

P

UPDATE: I've been told a few other specs by an anonymous source, who tells me the device also features miniHDMI (aka PDMI) connectivity and USB host with full size USB ports. Interestingly there are NO hardware home / back etc. buttons on the device and the tablet will ship with a customised '3D' user interface (which can be turned off to revert to stock Froyo). The processor is a 1GHz SMP dual Cortex-A9. I'm trying to get confirmation as to whether or not the Android Market is included on device (making this a full Google experience device).

Alrighty... what have we here?

Another spec list for the Vega, from the OEM! A few new snippets of info in here... note that the Vega is actually lower spec than is available in some areas!

• Nvidia Tegra 250 1GHz SMP dual Cortex-A9 40nm Enhanced 3D
  • 1080P Video Encode/Decode ULP Audio Decode Streaming HD Video ~4x vs APX 2600
  • 512MB RAM (optional 1GB)
  • resolution 1024 x 600 (or optional 1366 x 768 10.1“) w/ multi-touch LCD
  • 5mW power consumption for DAC to headphone playback
  • 1.5W SPK w/ stereo Internal Microphone support
  • Volume Up/Down Control, Screen rotation lock, Power Button, Home Return Button
  • SDIO interface support, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n & Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR 1 Antenna support
  • NAND Flash - 512MB (SLC type)
  • Card reader - support micro-SD Card
  • Li-Polymer, 2S1P, 3300mAh, 7.4V
  • Dimension: 275mm x 173mm x 13.6mm (T.B.C.) Weight: 700~750g (T.B.C.)
  • USB x 1
  • DC-in jack
  • Line-out / Headphone (3.5 mm)
  • Micro-SD Slot
  • HDMI x 1
  • SIM card slot
  • Status indicator: Charging: Purple, Power on: Off, Battery Full: Blue, Battery Low (<6%): Red
  • OS Version: 2.2 (Froyo) Android, Kernel core: 2.6.32
  • 3D UI support
  • Build in Camera module support WebCAMERA 0.3M CCD (Optional: 1.3M ;2.0M (By request))
  • USB interface
  • G-sensor
  • I2C interface Resolution Up to 16 Bits
  • Optional items
    • HSUPA support w/ USB interface GPS or A-GPS support (T.B.D.)

I can't wait for this! Although i'm not going to be an early adopter for sure! :)

I may end up keeping my Nexus and just getting one of these instead of the Desire HD :)

Guest Calamity James

No Market app in the video, although that might just be because it's an early release. I'm loving the surely fake Chrome and IE icons though!

The Adobe website looks almost as smooth as the desktop version though, looks like a belter! Now not sure wether I want this or the Archos 10!

Guest RaphaelSavina
Video of the device in action (with INCREDIBLY cheesy muzak)... :)

Weird... Look at 2:26... In all the apps icons there is one "Chrome" and one "Internet Exporer"... :)

I guess the only thing missing (besides the sim card slot?) is A-GPS. Shame, but not the end of he world. Unless I'm reading the specs wrong and Advent could add it as an extra? Does that option mean it would be an external USB Dongle? Ugh!

Otherwise looks like a bargain!

Well, except we've just been conditioned by Apple (and Samsung!) to expect these devices to cost considerably more.

I'll be very interested to see how it actually performs. Specs can be misleading.

Guest paulsmith

very interested. Nice to see a tablet above the useless 7 inches.

Dual core A9 - so Im hoping flash content will work really well.

Any news about pre-ordering in advance from one of the dixons group?

Yeah, no GPS is a shame but you generally find (as on the iPad) that that comes as part of the 3G chipset.

P

Thinking about it tbh I don't think I'd really ever use the GPS anyway, what with the TomTom, SanFran and wifi tethering that I've got, it's pretty much a luxury anyway!

It's just a nice spec to add to the already generous list :)

Edited by decpvr

Guest le_lutin
at 2:12 on the first video you can see an unplugged mouse and maybe some sort of dock...

thoughts?

In the first video, the keyboard looks incredibly naff. Hope they change it before launch.

Guest SilentMobius
The devices are scheduled to hit retail from the 18th October... we will of course be getting our hands on and reviewing one as soon as possible... as well as putting up lots more pictures (unfortunately we have only the rather nondescript press shot at this time).

Where did you get this date from? The Dixons Retail press release says 1st November. Not that I'm complaining, I will be buying this on right out of the gate.