Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

I'll be interested to know if this will be able to (have an update to) Gingerbread - aka Andriod 3.0?

I think the specs are up to it - correct me if I'm wrong? - I guess it's up to the supplier if they'll offer updates/support - or will it just be pushed through automatically?

I guess it's after LG's comments about this, that makes me wonder.

Still I can only hope that MaDaCo will be offering it's usual great support! :)

Edited by decpvr

Guest le_lutin
In the first video, the keyboard looks incredibly naff. Hope they change it before launch.

I should qualify that by saying that it's about the only thing naff about the tablet!

I've been keeping a close eye on this. Firstly I really hope it comes out on the 18th, secondly providing we can get some sort of market access onto it I'm sold :)

My only reservation is internal storage, was hoping some of the original reports of 4GB internal were true! Still going to be an absolute bargain though!

Edited by ritdaw

Guest gwenhwyfaer
It's screen is resistive. Yuk. There's no place for resistive screens in today's marketplace, so you probably want to ignore this one.

Oh Gawd, I'm going to sound like the forum nutjob on this one... but having used a Pulse (capacitive) and a Nokia 5230 (resistive), I'd have to say that my experience thus far is that I prefer resistive screens. Granted, that leaves me open to a charge of being the victim of implementation, and when I get my hands on a multitouch-capable device I might change my mind - but for single-touch, and particularly when you're trying to select a link on a phone-sized web browser, being able to grab any old bit of cardboard, fold it into a point, and press down beats trying to get your finger in exactly the right place every time. ...Well, it does for me, anyway.

So I think there is still a place for resistive devices in the market. Or one, at any rate, being sold to me... :)

Anyway, that's my obligatory dissenting done; feel free to ignore me henceforth. I admit, specs-wise, the Vega does look rather spiffy, and I certainly won't let its capacitive screen get in the way of lusting after one. :)

Guest dragon2611
I should qualify that by saying that it's about the only thing naff about the tablet!

Unless they disable the ability to load Apps (which would be rather stupid) then that's not really an issue.

At least with android if you don't like the keyboard you can just install a different one :)

Guest jsplace
Bit annoying to see it has a seperate charge plug and doesn't charge over micro/miniUSB... seems to be the norm for tablets tho.

P

I think you will find that the device when on will draw more current than USB can supply so would be pretty pointless, and potentially dangerous to some PC USB PSU's :)

We had the same problem at work with a WM5 device we manufactured with a 10 inch screen.

Guest Matchstick
I'm willing to bet we get the 'SIM slot' but not the 3G hardware. :)

P

Now you're just being cynical Paul :)

but while i could live without 3G (that's what the Mifi is for) no GPS would be a deal breaker :)

Edited by Matchstick

Guest shutdown

well i'm impressed so far. hope the battery holds up and the screen is good.

Hearing many bad things from the Next tablet so this one has a slight uphill battle on it's hands already

Guest Dunetails
I have two of these tablets, and I have to say... they're pretty amazing :)

Well, would you care to post more information if you already have 2 and think so highly of them? You certainly kept them to yourself until now :)

Guest welshblob

Glad Paul is on the case with this as it should mean great things if the modaco community adopt it like the pulse\SF.

Guess I'll stick with my pulse a bit longer (instead of upgrading to the SF) and get one of these.

Can't wait to see it in the flesh

Cheers

Rob

Guest john newhouse

this is the tablet that i currently have my eye on and i will be getting myself down to Dixons to check out the feel of it next week.

there is just 1 thing i am concerned about though, the built in storage seems very small. 512 ram and 512 rom, does seem a little measly in this day and age (however this does just cost £250 so perhaps i am expecting too much).

i will be getting a couple of 16gb cards, but as i will end up putting a lot of apps on the cards due to lack of space on the device itself, then i will have to double up every install so that they are on each card.

so if i was being really picky on the stats, i would want 2 sd card ports (maybe one inside the device like the Dell streak does) so i can have 1 for apps and another movies, music etc...

16gb cards are available for £19, the 32gb are currently at £75+, so that's why i wont be buying a 32 straight away.

Guest mamoulian
there is just 1 thing i am concerned about though, the built in storage seems very small. 512 ram and 512 rom, does seem a little measly in this day and age (however this does just cost £250 so perhaps i am expecting too much).

i will be getting a couple of 16gb cards, but as i will end up putting a lot of apps on the cards due to lack of space on the device itself, then i will have to double up every install so that they are on each card.

Yeah. Unfortunately with all apps2sd methods the apps still leave a chunk of stuff on /data - libraries, dalvik cache, other 'stuff'... my 'Browser' app has approaching 10mb of data (not cache).

So if I'm gonna put as many apps on that as I do on my N1 I'm gonna have to fiddle around symlinking stuff to the SD card...

Guest SilentMobius

So, I went to the work/home local pc worlds (Reading/Basingstoke) Neither of them know anything about impending Android tablets and haven't seen the DSGI press release (despite having a press release feed in store)

One sales guy speculated that the mega-stores would might get them on the 18th Oct (a date I haven't seen anywhere save here and the sites repeating the news) and the rest of the stores on the 1st Nov.

Calling their sales line they said they have no stock pending, and are thus unlikely to have anything by the 18th but they also said that they would be available online as soon as they came into the warehouse, then mega-stores, large stores and finally high-street stores.

Of course, take that with a pinch of salt but it might save someone a trip on Monday.