DG21 ROM Update

Guest dem1an

I thought I would try the ROM section for my question. I updated my phone from DC23 to DG21 using the 1.0.2.3 upgrade tool (SCH-i920_User_Upgrade_Tool_DG21_V1.0.2.3.exe). As I understand it, I will not be able to update to a cooked DG21 ROM. I want to be conservative and make sure I take the appropriate steps since I am a complete noob to this and maybe it will help the next guy who does this.

I'm currently here:

PDA: S:i920.2.0V.DG21.21906

CSC: i920.DI16

I would like to try an AMDZero DG21 ROM, say his Lite ROM. Based on the recommendations I've received I have the following 2 choices.

1. Update with AMDZero's DG21 ROM and see if it works. Is there any risk or is just a waste of time? What happens if it fails? Will I just need to be prepared to do step 2?

Thanks!

Edited by dem1an

Guest amdzero
I thought I would try the ROM section for my question. I updated my phone from DC23 to DG21 using the 1.0.2.3 upgrade tool (SCH-i920_User_Upgrade_Tool_DG21_V1.0.2.3.exe). As I understand it, I will not be able to update to a cooked DG21 ROM. I want to be conservative and make sure I take the appropriate steps since I am a complete noob to this and maybe it will help the next guy who does this.

I'm currently here:

PDA: S:i920.2.0V.DG21.21906

CSC: i920.DI16

I would like to try an AMDZero DG21 ROM, say his Lite ROM. Based on the recommendations I've received I have the following 2 choices.

1. Update with AMDZero's DG21 ROM and see if it works. Is there any risk or is just a waste of time? What happens if it fails? Will I just need to be prepared to do step 2?

Another poster had success with loading my Lite rom after using the 1.0.2.3 upgrade tool. I wasn't successful, but who knows, maybe it was just me.

It won't hurt to flash your phone using the pda (which is what all current i920 custom roms are).

Just be prepared to reflash using your step two if something goes awry. If you haven't flashed a custom rom before, know that it takes quite a bit of time during the "Initial Boot", somewhere between 3-10 minutes. The smaller the rom, usually the less windows has to setup on the first run.

At any rate, post back here if you have success or need more help.

Thanks!

Sounds good. Thanks for you support. Is it possible to brick it while flashing the pda with a custom rom (say you lose power or connectivity) or can you just simply flash it again if the load isn't successful?

I may just have to try it after I get back from my vacation in Cancun! Don't think I've not come to report back my experience.

Side bar question. I really kind of like the straight grid format of the "main menu" (by default you can choose a red and green version) and the icons used in "my contacts", "my calendar", "camera", etc. icons. They have thick white borders and a neon blue/ping/green interior. Your screenshots show an offset/diagonal grid and completely different icons. Is there a way to save these default icons or preserve the look of the default "main menu"?

Edited by dem1an

In theory it's not possible to brick your phone by only flashing the PDA because even if that is completely corrupted the phones booter remains untouched to flash a new PDA.

What you are describing is the samsung start menu, most chefs revert to the default winmo menu. I know some of ninjas roms keep the samsung menus and I think there is also a cab to install it.

This has a few links in it but I can' vouch out of experience for any of them: http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-verizo...-roms-wm-6-5-3/

Edited by bmt10

Guest amdzero
Sounds good. Thanks for you support. Is it possible to brick it while flashing the pda with a custom rom (say you lose power or connectivity) or can you just simply flash it again if the load isn't successful?

I may just have to try it after I get back from my vacation in Cancun! Don't think I've not come to report back my experience.

Side bar question. I really kind of like the straight grid format of the "main menu" (by default you can choose a red and green version) and the icons used in "my contacts", "my calendar", "camera", etc. icons. They have thick white borders and a neon blue/ping/green interior. Your screenshots show an offset/diagonal grid and completely different icons. Is there a way to save these default icons or preserve the look of the default "main menu"?

are you asking for the startmenu icons to show up in your samsung mainmenu ? or are you asking for mainmenu icons to show up in startmenu?

I'm unsure of how to answer your question. Stylistically, I like some of these default icons ("my contacts", "my calendar", "camera", etc.), especially the continuity between them. They are a "set". I also like the grid.

Samsung-Omnia-II-cell-phone.jpg

As opposed to this, where the icons are not stylized. This grid is also staggered (not straight). I'm a neat freak and this looks messier. Probably why I like the stylized "set" of icons. =) Curious if the look above can be created in your ROM or what's different about how they are presented.

post-463858-1284089102_thumb.png

Does that make sense?

Edited by dem1an

Like I said above you can cab that main menu into a rom but I don't think the stylized icons would come with it. The only DG21 rom I found that uses that main menu by default in ninjas today rom.

But you can always set the icons to your own custom set if you wish, using a program like JWMD Icon Changer. . On some roms the chefs also skin the default programs with an icon set.

With the i920 Flasher do you also need to run as administrator and select compatibility mode?

7. Then right-click on Octans Downloader->Compatibility, select "Windows XP (SP3)" and check "Run as Administrator".

8. Flash as per normal

Do you mean octans or the official updater?

Octans yes you do in vista or win7, in 7 you also need to disable driver signing(requires a reboot)

The official one I think it will automatically prompt you to run as admin, but I never put it in compatibility mode when I did it, this was on vista.

Do you mean octans or the official updater?

Octans yes you do in vista or win7, in 7 you also need to disable driver signing(requires a reboot)

I am running win7 and I was asking about AMDZero's flasher. He says it works the same, so I'd assume you'd run it the same way.

Update (Sep16th):

Just finished my hack of the Octans full program and I'm posting it for all i920 users. It works essentially the same as octans, but with less fluff.

i920_Flasher.zip ( 364.71K ) Number of downloads: 162

Edited by dem1an

Guest amdzero
I'm unsure of how to answer your question. Stylistically, I like some of these default icons ("my contacts", "my calendar", "camera", etc.), especially the continuity between them. They are a "set". I also like the grid.

Samsung-Omnia-II-cell-phone.jpg

As opposed to this, where the icons are not stylized. This grid is also staggered (not straight). I'm a neat freak and this looks messier. Probably why I like the stylized "set" of icons. =) Curious if the look above can be created in your ROM or what's different about how they are presented.

post-463858-1284089102_thumb.png

Does that make sense?

Ninja has uses roms with the start menu on the top bar. There is a "start.dll" file that "catches" the click on the windows flag that loads mainmenu.exe instead of the windows startmenu. since I use 6.5.x as the backbone for my roms, the windows flag appears on the BOTTOM bar, as in your second picture. AFAIK you cannot change the startmenu to be anything but Honeycomb or List view. This bugs me a bit as well, but I got used to it. The only other option you have with the startmenu is setting it to load in list view.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=587631

Another poster had success with loading my Lite rom after using the 1.0.2.3 upgrade tool. I wasn't successful, but who knows, maybe it was just me.

I think it might of just been you or only be affecting some people, I decided on a whim to run the DG21 1.0.2.3 updater and was able to flash both your DG21 Sense and Stock PDAs as well as Ninjas one.

This was after I updated to the first DG21 and then flashed my PDA back to the stock and ran the new DG21 update, if that might have anything to do with it

I think it might of just been you or only be affecting some people, I decided on a whim to run the DG21 1.0.2.3 updater and was able to flash both your DG21 Sense and Stock PDAs as well as Ninjas one.

This was after I updated to the first DG21 and then flashed my PDA back to the stock and ran the new DG21 update, if that might have anything to do with it

I too have been able to flash custom ROMs after udating with DG21 1.0.2.3. I successfully flashed the Zero Stock ROM without any issues. When the first official update came out, I used it; I applied the patch when it became available. On release of 1.0.2.3, I upgraded. After AMDZero posted about the issues he had, I was reluctant to try flashing, but I had no problems.

Guest amdzero
I too have been able to flash custom ROMs after udating with DG21 1.0.2.3. I successfully flashed the Zero Stock ROM without any issues. When the first official update came out, I used it; I applied the patch when it became available. On release of 1.0.2.3, I upgraded. After AMDZero posted about the issues he had, I was reluctant to try flashing, but I had no problems.

I think this might have been related to a bad offical rom flash. At least thats all I can think of, because I re-flashed to DG21 1.0.2.3 (latest one) and I'm flashing away just fine.

bottom line... FLASH YOUR PHONE ALREADY!

Guest xlightwaverx

Ok, 64bit users cannot flash the new upgrade. Help.

I think this might have been related to a bad offical rom flash. At least thats all I can think of, because I re-flashed to DG21 1.0.2.3 (latest one) and I'm flashing away just fine.

bottom line... FLASH YOUR PHONE ALREADY!

Guest amdzero
Ok, 64bit users cannot flash the new upgrade. Help.

not true, I just flashed mine 2 days ago using the official samsung DG21 1.0.2.3 update. And this is on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop (that I just reformatted).

Guest xlightwaverx

Is The Upgrade For My SCH-i920 Free Of Charge?

At this time, the update is free for SCH-i920.

How Long Will The Upgrade Be Available For Free On My SCH-i920?

Currently, there is no plan to remove the upgrade after this initial release.

If I Have Problems Updating My SCH-i920, Can I Take It To My Local Verizon Wireless Store?

Samsung Technical Care & Verizon Wireless are here to help with the upgrade. Please contact 888-987-4357 or 800-922-0204 respectively.

If I Decide I Do Not Like The Update For My SCH-i920, Can I Reload (CK24) Software?

It is not recommended to regress backwards to a previous software load. Any attempts to perform a regression may render the handset inoperable.

Can The Upgrade Process Be Completed Using x64-bit Microsoft Operating Systems?

Currently, the Upgrade Process is not compatible with 64-bit Microsoft operating systems.

What Can I Do If The Upgrade Tool Cannot Establish A Communication With My Mobile Device?

Ensure device is turned on.

Plug the USB cable into the computer and connect the other end to the phone.

Change the Windows Mobile Device Center settings.

Open the connection settings menu.

/Control Panel/ Windows Mobile Device/Connection settings

Ensure a checkmark is located in the box for Allow USB Connections.

Troubleshooting

If you cannot connect to Windows Mobile Device Center after performing the instructions above, please try the following steps below.

Remove the data cable from the phone and reconnect it.

Remove the data cable from the computer and reconnect it into a different USB port.

Power cycle the handset. (OFF/ON)

After I install The DG21 Upgrade, My Call Experience Is Different. What Can Be Done to Improve performance?

It is recommended to reprovision the handset after the upgrade has been performed. Type *228 and press Talk, select option 2 to start the process. The procedure should take about a minute to complete. This will ensure all the latest updates are installed on the handset including the preferred roaming list (PRL).

Well, then you need to give me a helping hand pal cause it keeps telling me it can't. :P

Thanks ahead of time.

X

not true, I just flashed mine 2 days ago using the official samsung DG21 1.0.2.3 update. And this is on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop (that I just reformatted).
Edited by xlightwaverx

Guest Jakeman66

I also was having issues upgrading on 64 bit. Once I allowed my Windows 7 to update the Samsung driver, the upgrade went through without a hitch..

Well, then you need to give me a helping hand pal cause it keeps telling me it can't. :P

Thanks ahead of time.

X

Guest dumfone
I also was having issues upgrading on 64 bit. Once I allowed my Windows 7 to update the Samsung driver, the upgrade went through without a hitch..

it usually is something with the drivers with 64 bit, make sure the 'Proper" signed drivers are being used it should go off without a hitch,

Guest xlightwaverx

Help!

post-721779-1287877140_thumb.jpg

it usually is something with the drivers with 64 bit, make sure the 'Proper" signed drivers are being used it should go off without a hitch,

Guest norm883

Hello,

I had the same problem on prior occasions,

Try to use a different USB Port and if you have any office product installed

remove Access. If you can SYNC you can flash.

Norm883

Guest tedkord
Hello,

I had the same problem on prior occasions,

Try to use a different USB Port and if you have any office product installed

remove Access. If you can SYNC you can flash.

Norm883

Yeah, believe it or not, I can only flash my i920 on one of the three front USB ports on my PC. Try with either of the other two, and nothing. And this is with XP Pro/Activesync. The O2 seems really finicky about ports.