Screenlock sticking

Guest radddogg

Guest radddogg

I don't know if this is a common problem or just my streak. Often when I try to unlock my screen, I drag the unlock banner and halfway along it drops it, I try again and it drops it again. I have to keep trying at different speeds and eventually I can trick it into unlocking. This is the same when I get a call and have to drag to answer, I've actually missed calls because of this. One time I forgot to put it on silent and it started ringing in my office, I eventually had to pull the battery to which my colleague Apple sheep fanboi took great satisfaction in pointing out that his iphone doesn't do that.

This has happened on every build so far but only happens during the unlock phase. Any ideas how to fix?

I'm on Froyo V3

Guest Sitaramaraju

Any Idea if 2.2 can be flashed on Dell Streak running on Rebel SIM II ? Earlier in the posts I have heard one posting 2.2 cannot be working on Rebel SIM yet..

Guest punkrckriot

Mine does this after 2.2 update as well, only worse. I lose touch input almost completely so the device is unusable. i just take the back off the phone turn it back on. annoying yes, but unless you can actually get somebody to help you and it annoys you that much, you should downgrade. i personally am just dealing with it for now.

Guest punkrckriot

ive also heard that people have had success doing screen calibration. you get there by starting up the same way you would to start into recovery but by clicking calibrate screen instead of update via sd

hold power and both volume buttons at the same time, choose option 3, calibrate screen or something or other

Edited by punkrckriot

Guest radddogg
ive also heard that people have had success doing screen calibration. you get there by starting up the same way you would to start into recovery but by clicking calibrate screen instead of update via sd

hold power and both volume buttons at the same time, choose option 3, calibrate screen or something or other

sorry I should have said that I have already calibrated the screen.

Guest DeathOfAllThings

I have the same problem with my phone, no ideas on a fix. However I have a trick for unlocking or answering phone calls when it's acting up. You need to use 2 fingers. Take your first finger and press and hold the unlock symbol, when you hold it down, you will notice a green dot appears on the screen to the right, signifying where you're supposed to drag it to. Take another finger and touch that dot while still holding down the finger on the lock symbol. Lift the finger on the lock symbol, then the finger that was on the green dot. Basically, this tricks the phone into thinking you've completed the swiping motion.

Guest finalmoksha
Any Idea if 2.2 can be flashed on Dell Streak running on Rebel SIM II ? Earlier in the posts I have heard one posting 2.2 cannot be working on Rebel SIM yet..

It works just fine. Just apply the update.zip using clockworkmod. I'm on rebelsim II as well running froyo v1.

Noticed this as a minor annoyance in 2.1 and seems more frequent in 2.2 (used v.3 & v1.) On the whole its something I'm putting up with for all the advantages that froyo has brought.

Noticed this as a minor annoyance in 2.1 and seems more frequent in 2.2 (used v.3 & v1.) On the whole its something I'm putting up with for all the advantages that froyo has brought.

Since the screen only comes on when you've pressed a recessed button, it does seem a waste of time to have the sliders at all on the streak.

I wonder if there's anyway of getting rid of them altogether.

I noticed that I only get this issue when I take the streak out of my pants pocket but not if I keep the streak in my jacket or just hold in my hand. Which makes me think that maybe it gets too warm in my pants pocket and the capacitive screen then has issues with recognizing the touches?

I also tried the "no lock" solution but disabling the lock screen also enables the volumn buttons even when the screen is black. that means accidentally pressing the volumn buttons can wake the device up. not good if it's in your pants pocket...

Guest JonesyF
I have the same problem with my phone, no ideas on a fix. However I have a trick for unlocking or answering phone calls when it's acting up. You need to use 2 fingers. Take your first finger and press and hold the unlock symbol, when you hold it down, you will notice a green dot appears on the screen to the right, signifying where you're supposed to drag it to. Take another finger and touch that dot while still holding down the finger on the lock symbol. Lift the finger on the lock symbol, then the finger that was on the green dot. Basically, this tricks the phone into thinking you've completed the swiping motion.

Iv had this issue to. At first I was wondering if it had to do what temperature you wear located in as it getting colder for the winter.

But this trick was greate!

Guest miker71
I noticed that I only get this issue when I take the streak out of my pants pocket but not if I keep the streak in my jacket or just hold in my hand. Which makes me think that maybe it gets too warm in my pants pocket and the capacitive screen then has issues with recognizing the touches?

I also tried the "no lock" solution but disabling the lock screen also enables the volumn buttons even when the screen is black. that means accidentally pressing the volumn buttons can wake the device up. not good if it's in your pants pocket...

Widget Locker works well and is very configurable. Paid app, worth it.

As well as this "sticky slider" problem on a couple of other occasions the screen has come on and been unresponsive to any touch whatsoever. Quite annoying.

Widget Locker allows you to press the power button to turn the screen on and then press "Home" to bypass the slider (the slider is still present). You can also stick widgets and icons directly on the lock screen if you so desire.

Sounds good I'll give it a try.

Yeah i've also had the issue where the screen was completely unresponsive to. When in this state, does bypassing the lock screen actually make the phone usable?

Does widget locker allow you to bypass the lockscreen altogether? It really is a shame the only one I have been able to find that does this wakes the screen from hitting the volume buttons.

Guest clickspace

I used to suffer from it often, but it seems to be gone now.

I thought it was down to using Handcent SMS and Meltus' LED blinker, but I still use them now and I have no problem (2.2V1release)

Fortunately this problem no longer happens on my Streak since the 1st beta version of Froyo. However my cousin had the same issue and I suggested he use the native 'Screenlock' (Settings\Location & Security\ Set Up Screenlock) and so far it's been pretty good for him. Worth a shot...

Guest JonesyF

I believe I just figured it out!

The problem, it has nothing to do with temperature. well not that much anyway :P

kind of what "bitziz" was talking about. The pants are the problem. When you have your phone in you pants and you walk and move and so forth the screen gets constantly rubbed against the cloth and some how gives the screen some kind of failed charge. not sure what this screen acts on if its contact some sort of electric contact or heat but I dont think its heat. Either way, this makes the screen unresponsive for a while. Because it dose come responsive if you have it laying free on a table for a while for example.

Tested this by walking with it in my hand in this coming cold winter and still works, I tested having it in my pants with my hand between the screen and the cloth, and it works. Only having it in my pants makes it fail for a while if pick it up.

So I guess I would recommend getting some sort of folder to keep this constant "screen discharge" to happen when just lying loose in pants.

I have a folder in leather ordered that probably will deal with this better.

Hope this will help some of you guys dealing with this issue. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spences10
I just missed a phone call due to this issue :)

you can use any key to answer the phone, the phone rang the other day when i had the keyboard open and i couldnt get to the slider so i just used the vol down button and it answered

Guest foxhoundep3

finally, its nice to know im not the only one, i think the pocket rubbing theory sounds about right, since it only happens when i take it out of my pocket after walking or moving. it sucks if you ask me

• 3 weeks later...
Guest viperspd

I am having the WORST time with this problem... I upgraded my AT&T 1.6 to O2 2.1 then to the official 2.2 and on 2.1 it was bad but I could eventually unlock after a few minutes (usually 30 secs of trying). 2.2 was completely unusable. I downgraded back to 2.1 and it so freeking annoying.

I guess I will try, widget locker, and 'no lock'.