Spontaneous shutdowns

Guest Flavio

I have been experiencing spontaneous shutdowns of my Streak on a regular basis (a couple of times a day).

I can't remember whether I had them before I upgraded to Froyo.

I also cannot replicate them. Sometimes it happens when I put the Streak in a holster and when I take it out it's off. Sometimes it happens when the screen has been off for a while.

The only way to restart it is to remove the battery. Even a reset (volume buttons + power button) doesn't power it up.

I am thinking it might have something to do with the back cover but like I said I cannot replicate it and I also don't get the 'Attach Back Cover Message'.

Does anyone else have this same problem?

It might be overheating, if it ever shuts down while you can see it, do the capacitive buttons blink a few time before it goes black?

Since running my non-overheating prone Streak, the only time I had to remove the battery from a crash/freeze was once when Angry Birds froze.

Guest payneardo

I had these on a previous build and was down to the back loose or not on properly?? (even though it looked fine!!). As I noticed it was I put my phone down it rebooted but only now and then. I Took it out of the case, took the battery out and carefully put them back in and made sure the the back was in "good and proper" :) this then solved my problem. Hope it helps somebody too :)

Cheers

Payneardo

Guest PaulVlagsma

I am getting shutdowns approx once a day on my Streaks.

This happens when they are completely idle.

Lying still on the table, or in my bag.

The only way to restart is to remove and replace the battery.

Battery is still 38%, 63% or whatever.

Running 2.2 latest DJSteve version. ATT, Dell UK, O2 rebel.

Guest noboard
I have been experiencing spontaneous shutdowns of my Streak on a regular basis (a couple of times a day).

I can't remember whether I had them before I upgraded to Froyo.

I also cannot replicate them. Sometimes it happens when I put the Streak in a holster and when I take it out it's off. Sometimes it happens when the screen has been off for a while.

The only way to restart it is to remove the battery. Even a reset (volume buttons + power button) doesn't power it up.

I am thinking it might have something to do with the back cover but like I said I cannot replicate it and I also don't get the 'Attach Back Cover Message'.

Does anyone else have this same problem?

I've been getting frequent re-starts since moving to Froyo (initial release of DJ_Steve's). It's got to the point now that it's every 10 - 15 minutes.

I'm going to take it back to 1.6 and see what happens after each upgrade.

I'm glad I am not the only one with this issue. I am getting the Mugen 4800mAh battery in a couple of days and then I'll investigate whether the problem is still there (the Mugen has its own battery cover).

Guest bek1977

I updated my streak from beta v.3 to the newest update v1.0 and my streak was turning off randomly and could only be turned on until I took the battery out. I just reapplied the update and I have not had the problem again.

Edited by bek1977

I'm experiencing this problem also, it’s almost as if the system has gone into a deep sleep due to being idle or it thinks the battery is dead. Removing the battery or plugging into the charger has sorted this for me. Does anyone have experience with resetting the battery in clockwork mod?

c

Guest popetodd

Today mine locked up in sleep mode twice and rebooted once while sitting on my shelf.

I can tell about the reboots because I have to redo the vibration shutoff when it happens.

Has only been happening since the 2.2 release.

Not that I am unhappy about the release, but it is what it is.

Guest coronet

Where were you guys in the official thread?! I've been going crazy thinking it was just me getting these errors!

Glad I'm not alone. I was going crazy. Always seems to happen while the phone is in sleep

Guest popetodd
Where were you guys in the official thread?! I've been going crazy thinking it was just me getting these errors!

Glad I'm not alone. I was going crazy. Always seems to happen while the phone is in sleep

+1

Always when in sleep.

Guest payneardo

mine did it yesterday about 3 times after I had installed a few apps and widgets, also noticed that launcher pro kept Force Closing as well and the CPU was running at 100%

uninstalled a few of the apss/widgets and it is back to normal again and since then had no reboots (touch wood) :P

(Here is a list of what I uninstalled but this could be a red herring and it could be something else as some of the widgets/apps did deem to work previously and I just uninstalled a few apps that I dont use. Y5 battery, Pure messenger widget, Whats App messenger, Auto Express, Google Chrome to phone, My backup pro, justin.tv, music player, GoMarks, Amazon MP3 (yes I actually used it but its gone again !!) Again these are apps/widget I uninstalled and I am not saying any of them don't work :D

I did also notice that when using the popup for my SMS's it sometime caused a problem and I have now turned that off as well :D

And I have had some of these problems on all releases but it seems a lot better on froyo :P. Out of interest does anybody stil have a task killer running on 2.2 ??? As I am sure I have read that these can cause problems on froyo as well

Hope this helps

Payneardo

Edited by payneardo

got a new Streak two days ago - has crashed the way described here twice so far. The first time it was just lying on the table, today it was in my laptop bag - when I took it out, it had crashed. I still have the stock 1.6 ROM (UK generic) on it. Installed lots of apps but I have no idea if any of them is causing it :-/ I guess I'll upgrade it to 2.1 now to see if that fixes anything.

I resetted my battery stats and cleared the Dalvik cache (in Clockwork Recovery) this morning and so far I haven't had any resets or shutdowns today. My battery has lasted about 8 hours with light use with WiFi, BT, 3G continuously on and screen brightness set to auto.

Can someone else try and see if the issue disappears after resetting the battery stats?

Guest send2toonie

I had spontaneous reboots. I uninstalled setcpu and advanced task killer and have not had one reboot or shutdown in 2 days, before then I would get rebooted about 4 times a day that I know of.

Not sure if you guys have the same problems with those two apps.

Guest gl4swegi4n

I've had random shutdowns for the last 2 days. Have realised that this happens everytime my streaks receives the slightest tap on the back. It is on properly and it's doing my head in, is there a way to prevent this or should I take it back claiming it's faulty?

Drained my battery and it has been rock solid since the last full charge, haven't uninstalled any apps or made any changes so may just be a battery charge cycle issue that I was experiencing.

Guest andycqos

This has happened to mine a couple of times, both when I left Ive plugged it into charge in the evening and forgotten to unplug it before bed. Both mornings I've come down to a switched off streak.

That could fit in with the over-heating theory

I get spontaneous reboots and shut downs and have done since the device was new under v1.6, then again when I upgraded to 2.1 and now under 2.2.

I can see no common factors either when being charged, placed face up, face down, on a stand, in my pocket, in a bag. It has happened in all of those scenarios. But done that can be provoked.

The only exception is when it is in use, I have never had a shut down happen in that situation.

Though it has shut down the phone app in the middle of a call but not the device itself.

Guest vinokirk

Im sure I've had this problem since day one, all of a sudden it walk become unresponsive and then the dell logo shows and then the lock screen comes up. Its like a mini restart, highly annoying! Sometimes even when its just sitting there

Guest pompeyboyz

I am getting this as well. I have thought it might be related to using Advanced Task Killer when I try to force shut down tweetcaster. But it seems to just be random times..

I have fully checked my battery cover which seems highly secure

Sorry didn't realise there was a seperate thread for this so i'll post it in here.

For the people that have mentioned in the past about the phones rebooting on their own constantly, i've never had any problems with these froyo builds been running 0.3 pretty much constantly with no problems at all, i installed an app "pandora" a couple of days ago since then my phone has been rebooting every hour or so and fading out on screen lock but the screen never fully goes black, got rid of the app and the problem has stopped again, when i had this issue on the dell roms i think i mentioned on here at the time i thought it was more to do with one of the apps i had installed, after uninstalling a few the problem stopped, anyway.. basically what i'm trying to get to is if you are having the reboot issues you need to check your apps this will be the cause it's nothing to do with the builds, i've had the issue now twice and wether it's the froyo build or dell's builds both times it's been dodgy apps and easily fixed.