arabic language install or font addition

Guest deemyboy

Guest deemyboy

Hi,

does anyone know how to add Arabic chars so that contacts are display correctly insted of like this [] [] [] [] [] (should say faruq (actually "quraf" because Arabic is written from ftel ot thgir = right to left))

i wonder if 'droid can handle this?

(it's easy peazy, and i mean PEAZY on the iP***e)

lots of help would be appreciated

thanks a bunch

deemyboy or is that yobymeed ? :P

: noob squared ie. very noob :

Guest flatnote31
If someone can extract framework and font files from Arabic ROMs and port them to custom romes, probably possible!

Hi guys :D

I'm already on this

I managed to replace the fonts and they work almost fine.

For right-to-left text, I'm still reading about BiDi (Bi-Directional) in Android...hopefully I can get it soon.

Still even with most fonts replaced, some fonts won't show...I need to investigate more into this if I ever get time!

One thing left for last step is connecting words to show as words instead of separate letters! yet it was still fun to try reading in separate letter mode :P

On Facebook most of the fonts seem to read fine, on sites like ShoroukNews.com and Dostor.org some show and some don't...

It's doable and many people as I've read in other places managed to do it for Nexus1 and Desire and their likes.

Just be ware if you ever find sources, to make sure you've backed-up your system before flashing them in...as some sources I found seemed to be device-specific and got me stuck on our lil friend the Green Droid :D

I'm at work now so don't have the links....If you want them to read yourselves, I'll post them when I get back home or during the weekend inshaa'Allah.

And just to clarify, I'm by no means skilled with Android, I'm using the accumulated knowledge from the old days.....so I can't give definitive answers :P

Guest abbas_sheikh

Yes please do post your links. I saw on another forum people talk about these framework / font files (for arabic/urdu) from arabic roms but not sure if they are compatible with SF as you rightly pointed out.

Guest flatnote31
Yes please do post your links. I saw on another forum people talk about these framework / font files (for arabic/urdu) from arabic roms but not sure if they are compatible with SF as you rightly pointed out.

Will do :P

I guess the thing will be finding TTF's that are used in the website we're interested in..because the ones I have replaced already don't seem to be enough.

Still, the biggest challenge would be connecting letters to form words....

I'd definitely apperciate any input

________________________________________________________________________________

Okie doke....

worth checking :

Arabic Android

Download fonts:

Fonts Link

BiDirectional language support:

BiDi-dev

Font replacement:

Font Replacement

Just remember that you can apply the update through ClockworkMod....

start the phone in RECOVERY mode (Volume down + Power Button) then apply update.zip :D

hope this helps a bit

ALSO, if you install new ROMs or themes or anything that affects FONTS, remember to re-apply the arabic fonts :D

I'll try to get the rest of the links that I deleted from my bookmarks soon

please let me know how this goes for you folks

Edited by flatnote31

Guest blauwal26

I am using the froyo alpha and in the browser arabic, hebrew, chinese and japanese show flawlessly, wasn't that actually one of the good things about android, that it supports most out of the box?

Guest flatnote31
I am using the froyo alpha and in the browser arabic, hebrew, chinese and japanese show flawlessly, wasn't that actually one of the good things about android, that it supports most out of the box?

If so, then great :D

I'm still on r4 and don't wanna switch to froyo until the release is stable enough to make the phone usable around the clock :D

I'll take a look and see if morelocale2 does that :P

as for the keyboard, it's no problem at all...there are many arabic keyboards out there for free...

cheers all :D

Edit: Just installed morelocale2 .....no arabic :lol:

Edit-2: In Morelocale2, click the MENU button, choose "add locale", then in Label: " Any name you wanna give it, eg: ARABIC", language make it " AR ", and in the country, make it " EG " (as in Egypt...not sure if SA will work, but I prefer it EG anyway) ...then click ADD

Check this link, it might help : MoreLocale2-XDA Forum

On my device, it shows the arabic characters, but I'm not quite sure if it'd do that if you don't have the fonts installed already!! you can give a try....

Yet, letters are still separate and not as they should be (connected)

However, in the browser or any app, when I use the arabic keyboard, letters are connected nicely ... ummm....

Edit-3: My own conclusion:

1- morelocale2 will help display the characters (if you have them);

2- you still need to install arabic fonts to display arabic characters;

3- connecting letters to properly display words still needs more investigation :P

Edited by flatnote31

Guest deemyboy

A MASSIVE THANKS to all of you guys who are supporting this thread - if i could/can help in any way i would/will!

just a quick re-cap

this thread is about getting Arabic writing displayed correctly on an Orange San Francisco / ZTE Blade and i think they run Android 2.1 (Eclair - is that a codename?)

will any or all of the stuff posted so far work or be able to ported over to this device.

i am noob squared so pls don't laugh if i'm saying will windows work on a sony vaio as well as a dell whatever , i just don't have time at the moment to dedicate to this so appreciate you guys a lot!

and to show my appreciation i'm going to do an amazing word sketch

here you go:

T-H-A-N-K-S

i hope you all like it as much as i am proud of it

:P

b4n = bye for now!

Guest flatnote31
A MASSIVE THANKS to all of you guys who are supporting this thread - if i could/can help in any way i would/will!

just a quick re-cap

this thread is about getting Arabic writing displayed correctly on an Orange San Francisco / ZTE Blade and i think they run Android 2.1 (Eclair - is that a codename?)

will any or all of the stuff posted so far work or be able to ported over to this device.

i am noob squared so pls don't laugh if i'm saying will windows work on a sony vaio as well as a dell whatever , i just don't have time at the moment to dedicate to this so appreciate you guys a lot!

and to show my appreciation i'm going to do an amazing word sketch

here you go:

T-H-A-N-K-S

i hope you all like it as much as i am proud of it

:P

b4n = bye for now!

1- Install ClockWorkMod

2- Download the updated fonts from the link Download FONTS

3- rename to UPDATE.ZIP

4- Copy the .zip file to the root of your sdcard (when the window pops up in windows telling you there's an SD drive found, choose OPEN)

5- power-off phone

6- HOLD the "volume down" rocker + "Power" (i.e. restart in recovery mode) << do not let go until you see the ClockWorkMod screen >>

7- Choose "Apply update.zip"

8- The phone will install the fonts

9- Once done and you see "COMPLETE", choose "Reboot/restart system"

10- Let the phone boot normally

11- You're done for this stage

NOTE:

- The above will install "some" fonts that should help display MOST of the websites in arabic

- The above will only help "display" arabic characters, but not connect characters to properly display "WORDS" (i.e. letters will be disconnected and it'll be a pain in the heiny to read them, but that's the fix for now to my knowledge)

- Should you want to TYPE in Arabic, then go to the market place and download an arabic keyboard (something like IBRAHIM KEYBOARD for SlideIt)

Guest deemyboy
1- Install ClockWorkMod

2- Download the updated fonts from the link Download FONTS

3- rename to UPDATE.ZIP

4- Copy the .zip file to the root of your sdcard (when the window pops up in windows telling you there's an SD

drive found, choose OPEN)

5- power-off phone

6- HOLD the "volume down" rocker + "Power" (i.e. restart in recovery mode) << do not let go until you see the

ClockWorkMod screen >>

7- Choose "Apply update.zip"

8- The phone will install the fonts

9- Once done and you see "COMPLETE", choose "Reboot/restart system"

10- Let the phone boot normally

11- You're done for this stage

NOTE:

- The above will install "some" fonts that should help display MOST of the websites in arabic

- The above will only help "display" arabic characters, but not connect characters to properly display "WORDS" (i.e.

letters will be disconnected and it'll be a pain in the heiny to read them, but that's the fix for now to my

knowledge)

- Should you want to TYPE in Arabic, then go to the market place and download an arabic keyboard (something like

IBRAHIM KEYBOARD for SlideIt)

hi.

thanks for the walkthrough.

did it and got some text in arabic on websites.

it was left to right and unconnected / disconnected.

i was wondering if they sell these phones in saudia arabia / egypt etc. then couldn't you just get an arabic ROM ??

the phone was purchased in britain and was a gift for my algerian friend who is a native arabic speaker.

if not for this device could an arabic version of android 2.1 from another device be ported (is that the right

word?) over to this device.

(addition)

to enable writing and not just display

after all of the above i installed anysoftkeyboard from market place along with arabic font pack.

now letters are displayed but unconnected

(further addition)

installed ibrahim keyboard and BLAM - most probs are solved:-

2 probs remain

1. the main one - need the phone to be in arabic so that he can customise and change things himself

2. google does not seem to understand arabic??? at least not from this phone! of course there are google search pages like google.eg but they don't understand the chars from ibrahim keyboard becase the typed chars look like [][][][][]

going to re-boot and see if this helps - it didn't!

i have played with google search preferences via the phone's browser and no joy yet - still [][][][][].....but getting there!

thanks everybody

deemyboy = noob squared

Edited by deemyboy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest flatnote31
hi.

thanks for the walkthrough.

did it and got some text in arabic on websites.

it was left to right and unconnected / disconnected.

i was wondering if they sell these phones in saudia arabia / egypt etc. then couldn't you just get an arabic ROM ??

deemyboy = noob squared

Hi mate, sorry for the delay.

Part-1 is officially over, I found a font that will display ANY arabic character on any website you might find. The font attached herewith is the DroidsansArabic from FROYO (2.2). As 2.1 doesn't officially support arabic, so I had to rename it to DroidSansFallback.ttf which is basically the font which Android uses to encode non-standard characters

to install it you will need a rooted phone, and working ADB.

Steps:

1- download the file DroidSansFallback.rar to your local drive and unzip it, you should find one file DroidSansFallback.ttf

2- move the file to your ADB folder ( if you have sdk7, it will be the subfolder called TOOLS)

3- open command line in windows and make sure the path shown is correct, it should end with /tools> )

4- copy the file to your sdcard ( either mount the sdcard and copy using windows, or type the following in the command prompt )

adb push DroidSansFallback.ttf /sdcard/DroidSansFallback.ttf

it should tell you that it's OK and how long it took to transfer

5- Now type the following EXACTLY without changing anything

adb shell

Now it should show #

then:

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system 

cp /sdcard/DroidSansFallback.ttf /system/fonts

reboot 

your phone should restart now.....when it's up again , test it on any arabic website

Now remember, this only fixes the font issue

Right-to-Left and Connecting letters are still to fix

another solution would be to buy the arabic fix from market, it's around $6 or $7

if you go to Egypt, make sure you have a walk by the beach in Alexandria...home sweet home :rolleyes:

DroidSansFallback.rar

• 2 months later...
Guest alwaleef
I installed the font but no shaping, ie letters appear disconnected

Dear,

I am using ZTE Blade with 2.2. The arabic characters is shown but disconnected and without RTL. Any update or hope to get it done.

• 2 weeks later...