Quality of hinge/keyboard?

Guest Loconinja

Guest Loconinja

I used to be a big fan of keyboard "sliders" having owned a Hermes, a Kaiser and a Rhodium (Touch Pro 2).

However, I was not impressed with the quality of the TP2 keyboard or hinge mechanism, and I always had this nagging feeling that it would wear out before the end of life of the handset.

To those who have had hands-on with a Desire Z:

What is your impression of the strength and durability of the hinge mechanism? Does it feel strong enough to take a few knocks?

How is the keyboard in use? Is it clicky or rubbery?

I still cannot decide between the HD or the Z!

Thanks.

I used to be a big fan of keyboard "sliders" having owned a Hermes, a Kaiser and a Rhodium (Touch Pro 2).

However, I was not impressed with the quality of the TP2 keyboard or hinge mechanism, and I always had this nagging feeling that it would wear out before the end of life of the handset.

To those who have had hands-on with a Desire Z:

What is your impression of the strength and durability of the hinge mechanism? Does it feel strong enough to take a few knocks?

How is the keyboard in use? Is it clicky or rubbery?

I still cannot decide between the HD or the Z!

Thanks.

Had a good go on both the Z and the HD today....

Hinge on the Z is questionable @ best - it's very clunky and i don't think it will stand the test of time tbh...wouldn't touch it with yours!

The HD on the other hand is a beautiful and phenomenal device, if a little large, but man it's H-O-T!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Rickardo
Had a good go on both the Z and the HD today....

Hinge on the Z is questionable @ best - it's very clunky and i don't think it will stand the test of time tbh...wouldn't touch it with yours!

The HD on the other hand is a beautiful and phenomenal device, if a little large, but man it's H-O-T!!

I had a quick look at actual device in CPW and I'm not sure about the hinge - currently have TP2 with no complaints about that mechanism, but this seems to worry me when it is mid action - too separated and soft/loose i.e. not snapping down enough. Rest of phone is very nice in aluminium.

Can anyone who has had one for a bit feedback on the hinge, please?

Guest SozzaSinnian
I had a quick look at actual device in CPW and I'm not sure about the hinge - currently have TP2 with no complaints about that mechanism, but this seems to worry me when it is mid action - too separated and soft/loose i.e. not snapping down enough. Rest of phone is very nice in aluminium.

Can anyone who has had one for a bit feedback on the hinge, please?

Depends on what you call a bit but I have had mine around a month now. I did make some reference to the keyboard in this thread, post #3 http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...ire-z-keyboard/

Just to add the hinge does feel questionable but saying that after heavy constant use and being dropped by a plonk friend of mine iit still feels as good as new. Surprisingly, and also a lifesaver for my friend, the phone also has no marks on it either and it hit the floor with quite a smash! :S (although thinking about it now it could of been the keyboard slamming shut, maybe we should stop questioning the Z Hinge as it obviously doubles as some kind of safety feature if the phone is dropped lol)

Guest Rickardo
Depends on what you call a bit but I have had mine around a month now. I did make some reference to the keyboard in this thread, post #3 http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...ire-z-keyboard/

Just to add the hinge does feel questionable but saying that after heavy constant use and being dropped by a plonk friend of mine iit still feels as good as new. Surprisingly, and also a lifesaver for my friend, the phone also has no marks on it either and it hit the floor with quite a smash! :S (although thinking about it now it could of been the keyboard slamming shut, maybe we should stop questioning the Z Hinge as it obviously doubles as some kind of safety feature if the phone is dropped lol)

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

On the xda forums people already fixed their loose hinges by disassembling (sp) their Z and tightening the hinge mechanism. It is just a matter of time before someone finds a spring that is stronger than the stock, and makes a video guide of it. I'd definately go for the Z. The keyboards is somewhere between rubbery and clicky imo. hope that answers some questions for ya.

• 5 months later...
Guest Speculatrix

I've had a HTCDZ for three months now and use it every day - it's provided for work. I don't use the keyboard for everything, but do use it enough to exercise the hinge a few times a day, and had no problems at all.

When I was in the USA a few months ago, I tried a G2 and the spring seemed stronger, but it was a dummy phone. I suspect there is a little bit of variation in the strength of the spring.

I would say that the DZ is 50% heavier than the lightest phones around, so it's not something to be taken lightly!

Would I get another? Definitely, yes. But I have had a succession of handheld computers with keyboards, three Zauruses and a Fujitsu U820/U2010, so I guess I can't give them up!