Wifi Connection keeps dropping

Guest gstar101

Guest gstar101

As of late I've noticed that my Wifi connectivity has been pretty dodgy. For example, I'd be browsing on my phone (you can see the wifi signal at the top *full bars*) then all of a sudden it disappears and I have to go back to my home screen and do ANYTHING (eg open the menu, notifications etc) and it will re-connect.

The thing is, its not within a particular time period, It happens in 5 mins... in 2 mins... few seconds... or longer.. no direct specific pattern either.

That said, I installed Wifi manager so I could at-least monitor the connection from my home screen. And without fail it kicks in and off sporadically.

I'm using 2.1 Baltic, and cant say I've ever had this problem prior to upgrade but, I've been on 2.1 since it just came out so I'm not sure why its so much more prevalent now.

I first noticed it when I put the FB status feeds on my home page as sometimes it would just show blank[no feeds], but other times it would load all my feeds.

I have 2 separate WIFI networks at home that I have noticed it with, as well as four at work that It happens with. Now, I dont think its the wifi networks as I have a ps3 and several laptops connected to the wifi networks at home... and we have quite a few wifi enabled devices: pda's etc connecting to the work network.

Guest PaulZero

I've noticed issues with certain routers, specifically my GT540 seems to hate my girlfriend's which is a Sky broadband (i.e. rebranded Netgear) router. It disconnects even when only a room or two away, and then in order to reconnect I have to actually disable and re-enable the WiFi from the notification screen / settings.

However on the university network it always remained connected and if I happen to go out of range will reconnect again without incident.

This is on 1.6 Carphone Warehouse ROM, no rooting or anything else like that.

Guest gstar101
Have you set Wifi to not go to sleep?

Settings->Wireless & networks->Wi-Fi Settings->press menu (bottom left)->advanced->Wi-Fi sleep policy->select never

Thanks alot bro

Edited by gstar101

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ioncannon

I've had similar problems with my wifi connection ever since I got the GT540 3 months ago. I finally managed to solve it today by disabling the Wireless QoS (sometimes listed as WMM or WME) on my router. So this is another thing to check for when there's wireless problems (in addition to hidden SSID, etc).

Guest flyboyovyick
I've noticed issues with certain routers, specifically my GT540 seems to hate my girlfriend's which is a Sky broadband (i.e. rebranded Netgear) router. It disconnects even when only a room or two away, and then in order to reconnect I have to actually disable and re-enable the WiFi from the notification screen / settings.

However on the university network it always remained connected and if I happen to go out of range will reconnect again without incident.

This is on 1.6 Carphone Warehouse ROM, no rooting or anything else like that.

Hmmm... I never had that problem. But Sky routers are sh*t anyway (ive got one).

I too had this problem after putting the Baltic 2.1 on, none of the above tips helped me so I installed fix my wifi, a freebie, from the marketplace which automatically reconnects if/when connection drops.