Alarm fails if phone is off

Guest Argonaut

Guest Argonaut

I have SGS - vanilla f/w 2.1

In UK on an unlocked phone, with Vodafone SIM.

Set alarm (standard clock) ... and it does not work if phone switched off ! .... i.e works OK if phone is switched on ... but not if phone is off, which is normal overnight.

My 14 yr old Nokia does this no problem ! ..... I googled around and on some other Samsung phones you can fix it under profiles ... but can't find a solution for SGS .

This seems a significant bug.

Any work around ?

I'm in a hotel at airport for early flight .... just as well I checked !!

Guest NZtechfreak
I have SGS - vanilla f/w 2.1

In UK on an unlocked phone, with Vodafone SIM.

Set alarm (standard clock) ... and it does not work if phone switched off ! .... i.e works OK if phone is switched on ... but not if phone is off, which is normal overnight.

My 14 yr old Nokia does this no problem ! ..... I googled around and on some other Samsung phones you can fix it under profiles ... but can't find a solution for SGS .

Any work around ?

I'm in a hotel at airport for early flight .... just as well I checked !!

Not available in any Android I'm aware of...

Guest Need_A_Username
Not available in any Android I'm aware of...

not available in any smartphone if you ask me :s

I just put my phone in airplane mode so nobody can disturb me, and I put it on the charger if that helps you a bit :P

Edited by Need_A_Username

it worked with my Samsung i8910HD (Symbian)! it´s a shame that android cant do this.

I just put my phone in airplane mode so nobody can disturb me, and I put it on the charger if that helps you a bit :P

Guest Argonaut

I just traded up from a Nokia E71 ... worked on that and the E70 I had before it. Both of those are Smart phones .... just not Android.

Guest NZtechfreak
I just traded up from a Nokia E71 ... worked on that and the E70 I had before it. Both of those are Smart phones .... just not Android.

Yep, there are lots of smartphones that will do it, just not Androids or Windows Mobile up to 6.5 (don't know about Windows Phone 7 or iOS).

Guest Need_A_Username
Yep, there are lots of smartphones that will do it, just not Androids or Windows Mobile up to 6.5 (don't know about Windows Phone 7 or iOS).

ah ok

I've had an iPhone until OS 3.1.2 and it didn't do it either so I guess it still doesn't.

Guest Technic

Any work around ?

People tend to forget, that SGS and any other SmartPhones (Win Mobile, Android, iOS) are NOT "Phones" They are little Computers, with which you can also make telephone calls. Does your home PC turn on automatically and notify you if you got e-mail? NO!

If you have trouble, just put it on Vibrate/Silent mode. It will not disturb you over the night, yet you will be able to receive every phone call and SMS. The Alarm Clock uses the sound, even though it is on SIlent/Vibrate, so you shall wake up. And should you be concerned about battery consumption overnight, just put it on charger.

OR if you find the above inconvinient, just go back to your 14-year old Nokia. :P

Edited by Technic

Guest anusthegreat
Does your home PC turn on automatically and notify you if you got e-mail? NO!

Actually, it does. Some software can execute a wake-on-lan command for that. Probably, there is some kind of a command you can use to turn your Galaxy S on remotely, like -adb tools. Maybe someone will find it out and make an alarm application which can make it.

Guest barumpuhabalen
People tend to forget, that SGS and any other SmartPhones (Win Mobile, Android, iOS) are NOT "Phones" They are little Computers, with which you can also make telephone calls. Does your home PC turn on automatically and notify you if you got e-mail? NO!

Actually i use my PC as an alarm clock without having it turned on all night... it's just simply a thing that hasnt been worked into Android, iOS and WinMo... yet!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NZtechfreak
I just buy ... an alarm clock

Bleh, who wants an actual alarm clock? Waste of money if you have a perfectly good phone already!

I now use Tasker for my alarm - volume gradually increases, flip phone to snooze, flip back to snooze again, keep going until ready to wake, pull power plug and alarm stops and morning newspaper is delivered (NewsRoom opens). Much better than an actual alarm clock!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sekobati

if you ask me, id say that this feature if available will be considered a flaw!

i mean if i dont want to be disturbed from my phone i simply turn it off

so why should it come back to life without me telling it to!!

smart phone......am yer master....obey me.....if not then yer a dumb phone hehehehe