28/Oct r4b gforums Custom Rom FroYo for ZTE blade (Alpha!)

Guest gforums

I'm paying attention to progress on Blade Froyos, but really wish OPs would update the first post with changelogs and more detailed bugs/issues. The only issue mentioned on the first post is YouTube not working, but reading the thread contradicts this. Why update the title with the current date if the OP itself isn't?

Guest monkeyfeatures

I'm now using this as my day-to-day ROM. It took a bit of fiddling to get things working but it seems OK. Market seems to work now and there are loads of threads around about the market being dodgy lately so I think it might have just been the market itself.

Good things about this ROM:

• Most of the alpha bugs fixed (root works, calendar works, resolution is right)
  • Wifi works better (had issues with WPA Enterprise on stock ROM but fine now)
  • Graphics performance great (animated backgrounds, 3D games etc. all seem to without stuttering now)
  • App2SD works (Apps can run off SD card so space is much less of a problem)
  • Exchange Sync works (Email, contacts and calendar sync with Exchange works nicely without hacks)
  • GPS works as normal
  • USB drivers in the Alpha thread work fine for this.

Titanium backup didn't wouldn't restore my apps at first for me, but clicking the "problems" button in the app and allowing it to reinstall BusyBox fixed that.

The Market couldn't log me in either, but logging in to Google Talk allowed me to set up the account and then all the Google Apps seem to work properly.

I haven't tried using the radio yet, I suspect that might not work, but we'll see. Otherwise it seems pretty usable and a step forward from stock or r4. :)

in case you didn't catch this. There's a suspicion of a potential security/privacy threat on this leaked rom:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ade-phone-home/

It looks like the device’s rom tries to collect data from your device and send it via SMS to some number in China. But that’s not all, if the device fails to do this, it will block the radio chip in the device.

Guest rijon99

This is kind of off topic, I am on 2.1 eclair at the moment and my phone is locked to orange, If I install 2.2 Froyo (which has the ability to "unlock" the phone to any network) and I go back to 2.1, will the unlock feature go away?

Guest nicksoph
I'm paying attention to progress on Blade Froyos, but really wish OPs would update the first post with changelogs and more detailed bugs/issues. The only issue mentioned on the first post is YouTube not working, but reading the thread contradicts this. Why update the title with the current date if the OP itself isn't?

Not quite sure if I can answer your last question but the OP stated in the first post that he had not had time to fully check what was working and that he was not going to be available until Monday.

Guest pinglis

vm heap tool from the market just keeps giving a force close message ..any ideas as to how to change the vm so the camera banding goes away

if that makes any sense

I asked in the other thread but didn't get any answers: If I follow the install instructions, does it result in the loss of apps, settings and contacts? And how do I apply a backup (I have made one in Clockwork) ? :)

Guest shakerist

wonderful everything is very fast hopefully youtube and this sign in problem will get solved soon cant get into market or gtalk even with wifi maybe its temporary but i dont know

Guest stephen m
wonderful everything is very fast hopefully youtube and this sign in problem will get solved soon cant get into market or gtalk even with wifi maybe its temporary but i dont know

A reboot solved it for me - is Acrobat Reader working with your install ?

Guest paddymcn

This is a very nice release, I tried it for a day and liked it but it did not like my mp3 collection so I've reverted to 2.1 for the time being, thanks gforums

Guest sikhcentral

Could you edit the first post and put in step by step instructions like:

1)Download here

2)wipe phone in clockworkmod

5)sign into talk via 3g etc etc

Also could it be posible to add a complete guide for fresh blades without out clockwork?

Or am I asking too much, I think it will just help people if all the information is in one place.

Guest shakerist
A reboot solved it for me - is Acrobat Reader working with your install ?

no acrobat dont work on mine i get the force close error, the rebooting didnt solve the market problem I want it so I can download the flight control app didnt work on the other version of froyo hopefully it works on this one want to beat my highscore of 203 :) Oh and im hacing problems with titanium backup it stays at root permissions screen

Also would like to point out the my wifi does not automatically connect to my router when i press the wifi thing to go on in the home screen (the thing with bluetooth 3g etc.) i have to manually connect it through settings and it also drops randomly, and blue tooth plus wifi also dont mix, was sending some stuff while trying to get onto internet bluetooth gets cancelled when connecting to wifi.

still having trouble with goggle account i get cant establish a reliable data connection to the server, rom is gr8 tho very fast

oh forget the wifi dropping issue its my brother turning the wifi off when i leave the phone :)

Edited by shakerist

Guest nicksoph
Could you edit the first post and put in step by step instructions like:

1)Download here

2)wipe phone in clockworkmod

5)sign into talk via 3g etc etc

Also could it be posible to add a complete guide for fresh blades without out clockwork?

Or am I asking too much, I think it will just help people if all the information is in one place.

There are some guides that give a fairly detailed walk thru the stages needed on this site but as you say they are a bit fragmented - I think this is partly to do with the speed of progress on this particular rom. I suspect there will be a more comprehensive set of instructions once things have settled a bit.

But having gone thru the process myself might I suggest you to read all the related posts - they make interesting reading and I am grateful to have learned a great deal from them. If you really are not interested and would just like to have a phone that works on 2.2 then it may be best to wait for a bit.

Fundamentally the process breaks down into

Loading drivers for the phone to connect to your PC - these vary depending on operating system and may change as you go thru the process of loading new ROMs

Rooting The Phone - This gives you the administrative access denied in the original rom

Loading ClockworkMod - this gives you an interface to load the roms (and a few other low level tasks)

Loading the Roms - probably the easiest part

Applying Fixes - the longer you wait the less of these will be necessary - most are well documented

You might also add Unlocking the phone from its designated SIM - this allows the phone to work with any carriers SIM but it seems that this happens without any further action if you use the froyo rom, otherwise its a $4 charge on paypal to get an unlocking code.

Sorry if I havnt helped but I dont think Im the right person to give a detailed explanation.

Guest nicksoph
no acrobat dont work on mine i get the force close error, the rebooting didnt solve the market problem I want it so I can download the flight control app didnt work on the other version of froyo hopefully it works on this one want to beat my highscore of 203 :) Oh and im hacing problems with titanium backup it stays at root permissions screen

I checked Acrobat and it didnt work for me either

Had the same problem with Titanium and Installing and running Universal Androot 1.6.2 beta 5 from

http://blog.23corner.com/tag/universalandroot/

sorted that.

Guest sikhcentral
There are some guides that give a fairly detailed walk thru the stages needed on this site but as you say they are a bit fragmented - I think this is partly to do with the speed of progress on this particular rom. I suspect there will be a more comprehensive set of instructions once things have settled a bit.

But having gone thru the process myself might I suggest you to read all the related posts - they make interesting reading and I am grateful to have learned a great deal from them. If you really are not interested and would just like to have a phone that works on 2.2 then it may be best to wait for a bit.

Fundamentally the process breaks down into

Loading drivers for the phone to connect to your PC - these vary depending on operating system and may change as you go thru the process of loading new ROMs

Rooting The Phone - This gives you the administrative access denied in the original rom

Loading ClockworkMod - this gives you an interface to load the roms (and a few other low level tasks)

Loading the Roms - probably the easiest part

Applying Fixes - the longer you wait the less of these will be necessary - most are well documented

You might also add Unlocking the phone from its designated SIM - this allows the phone to work with any carriers SIM but it seems that this happens without any further action if you use the froyo rom, otherwise its a $4 charge on paypal to get an unlocking code.

Sorry if I havnt helped but I dont think Im the right person to give a detailed explanation.

No I think what you said makes sence once a more stable version is made then Im sure a proper set instructions will be made with it.

I did read a lot of the original threads on the froyo I remember the different methods people had to get onto the market etc. But I think a few of those threads got deleted as when I go on history and click on one of them it just redirects to the main page. Im sure the one thread was 28 pages long which I read a few times just to get an idea of what was going on.

I have just flashed the froyo rom on my brothers SF which was fresh and unlocked etc. Im using it as a guinea pig before I flash mine also I wont have to unlock it. But I am having a problem with the google talk app. I am trying to sign in using 3g but It can't connect. It this failure to connect in anyway to do with the market severs being busy and unresponsive resently (I did however download winamp on my phone eariler). The internet works fine and I haven't touched anything else yet even the market.

Guest shakerist

are the ppl who are able to get there google account running setting it up from 3g? I have no credit for 3g and im trying through wifi, sometimes i get a message to try and set it up through wifi even though im connected