ZTE Blade Phone Home ? [False Alarm]

Guest Freekers

Guest Freekers
It looks like the device’s rom tries to collect data from your device and send it via SMS to some number in China. But that’s not all, if the device fails to do this, it will block the radio chip in the device. According to the chat logs in IRC among developers, the apk causing this seemed to grant the following permissions:

<uses-permission android:name=”android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED” />

<uses-permission android:name=”android.permission.READ_CONTACTS” />

<uses-permission android:name=”android.permission.SEND_SMS” />

<uses-permission android:name=”android.permission.WRITE_SETTINGS” />

<uses-permission android:name=”android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE” />

Full Article here:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/zte-blade-call-home/

Edited by Freekers

chatlog here

Yeah, provides a bit more detail to what was going on when they were trying to get the froyo build working, I wonder if the Chinese people the rom came from realise that their phone is reporting back to ZTE?! Maybe they are alpha/beta testers without realising it?

Wonder when the 880 officially launches in China, then we will be able to get a retail version

Guest Freekers
So its sending all my contacts to china :)

No, the stock ROM the ZTE shipped with and all other 2.1 ROMs do not contain this 'malicious' code afaik.

However, it could be that the alpha froyo ROM for our blade, which can be found on MoDaCo, contains this malicious code, but I am not sure. We'll have to wait untill Stephen Hyde, the developer of the froyo port, comments on this issue.

before evryone goes crazy here and over there at xda, could one of the dev heroes comment on this?

thanks!

This is what Stephen removed in order to get froyo working, the logs are of him as he solved the problem, no need to worry (unless you are in china with one of the dev blades that is)!

The report is old news, but interesting.

Edited by rjm2k

Guest hero protagonist
This is what Stephen removed in order to get froyo working, the logs are of him as he solved the problem, no need to worry (unless you are in china with one of the dev blades that is)!

Thanks for pointing that out :)

Guest oh!dougal

It took me too long to find the post I was looking for

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1450623

And if anyone looks at the date on that chatlog, they'll see it was before the rom was released ...

MOVE ALONG PLEASE

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

(Really!)

Guest thomas01155

This is why the phones radio wasn't working as it was being blocked in the original leaked version. It was removed by the magical devs and now it works :)

THEY'RE WATCHING YOU

Guest Freekers

Thanks for pointing that out.

My sincere apologies for this false alarm. But XDA Dev. posted this today so I thought this was up to date.

It took me too long to find the post I was looking for

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1450623

And if anyone looks at the date on that chatlog, they'll see it was before the rom was released ...

Thanks for the link. Good to see that the devs on MoDaCo spend so much research into their ROMs before releasing them !