Buying the GT540 from cpw

Guest schkinx

Guest schkinx

Hello all :)

I was originally going to buy the ZTE Blade a while back , but after looking at all the faults and problems users are having i decided not to bother .

I'm now thinking of buying the GT540 from the carphone warehouse and just have a few questions about it .

Is it worth the upgrade to 2.1 ? I've seen a few other people have bought from the cpw and it seems that operator specific roms are coming out before the generic open firmware . Should i wait for the open rom to be released or go for something like the baltic rom ? Have any of you upgraded and which rom did you use ?

As long as the rom works i dont mind the odd little fault with it

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by schkinx

Guest RottenFoxBreath

I was originally going to buy the ZTE Blade a while back , but after looking at all the faults and problems users are having i decided not to bother .

I'm now thinking of buying the GT540 from the carphone warehouse and just have a few questions about it .

Is it worth the upgrade to 2.1 ? I've seen a few other people have bought from the cpw and it seems that operator specific roms are coming out before the generic open firmware . Should i wait for the open rom to be released or go for something like the baltic rom ? Have any of you upgraded and which rom did you use ?

2.1, 1.6...not much difference to be honest, but stepping from what you have in your profile, to a GT540, is like a step backwards, TBH.

The SF is a better phone, sure people have issues, but it IS a better phone overall.

the baltic rom was fine for me though, but the issues that people had with that, haven't been fixed in the only uk release from vodaphone 2.1.

there's not really that much of a community behind the GT540, compared to the SF, what with their Froyo 2.2 experiments, and besides, if you do have issues with the SF, you can always get a doorstep swap with a replacement.

Guest schkinx

Thanks RFB :)

At the minute i'm using a pixon m8800 , i should update my profile i know lol .

I think i'll wait a bit longer and see what comes along in the sales :)

Guest RottenFoxBreath
i cant figure out how to change my phone in the profile lol :)

Top of the page..."My Controls - Personal Profile(left bar), Edit Profile Information(on the side bar on the left). :)

Besides, another plus is, if you know someone who has an orange sim, or account, they can get the SF for £79 over the phone from Orange..

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

the difference is the speed and smoothness.

And re the Orange SF A.K.A ZTE Blade, it is a much heavier and bigger phone both wider and longer, for me that is a deal breaker, but if u do not mind the size or weight it does seem better on paper.

Edited by ijcy

2.1, 1.6...not much difference to be honest, but stepping from what you have in your profile, to a GT540, is like a step backwards, TBH.

The SF is a better phone, sure people have issues, but it IS a better phone overall.

the baltic rom was fine for me though, but the issues that people had with that, haven't been fixed in the only uk release from vodaphone 2.1.

there's not really that much of a community behind the GT540, compared to the SF, what with their Froyo 2.2 experiments, and besides, if you do have issues with the SF, you can always get a doorstep swap with a replacement.

RottenFoxBreath i know u told me u are here longer then me and its true.

But i really don`t think the point of being here is to tell everyone to not get the gt-540.

Edited by ijcy

Guest AerospaceMango
RottenFoxBreath i know u told me u are here longer then me and its true.

But i really don`t think the point of being here is to tell everyone to not get the gt-540.

I think that if you WANT the GT540, instead of the SF, then buy it!

It's a great phone, and worth upgrading to 2.1.

I'd agree to an extent that the SF is better, but I LOVE my phone, and wouldn't swap for the SF!

Guest saeba_ryo

There will always be something better, but the GT540 was the best value for money here in Greece when I bought it. And it gets a new life when it's upgraded to Android 2.1, then rooted and app2sd.

Guest schkinx

The other thing that put me off the SF is the battery life . Its almost impossible to get a spare battery for it , but i can get a spare for the GT540 from my local phone shop .

Guest RottenFoxBreath
The other thing that put me off the SF is the battery life . Its almost impossible to get a spare battery for it , but i can get a spare for the GT540 from my local phone shop .

Horses for courses....

Don't get me wrong, the GT540 was a good phone, it's just it's inability to be seen in sunlight, the resistive screen(I have succumbed to capacitive, and couldn't go back, especially with the edge problems - resistive has issues with pressing harder towards the edges, IMO), it's slower(testing both together), the support(or lack of), put me off it, and I got rid, after running the two together for a few days.

As to battery life, they are around the same, 3 days, with 3G on and leaving the SF untouched apart from a few texts, and 1 or 2 calls.

most phones will last a day with average use, and the SF is no different, in my testing.

It's not that much heavier(I doubt you would notice, as i never), as to wider and longer..you could fit the whole GT540 pretty much in the SF's screen, so about 1" longer overall, and the screen is pretty much edge to edge on the sides.

It's just a nicer screen, and for me, a nicer phone, and with the latest Froyo custom roms coming, I think it's got more of a shelf life.

The GT540 will be soon history, as LG are going to release another handful of phones to replace it, and it will more or less get dumped i think.

I did like my GT540, but if i could do it again, I would think twice..mainly due to screen type/size.

Guest schkinx

Well i've been thinking and thinking lol

I suppose the SF is the better phone after all . And the froyo upgrade would be a killer too , i've seen some pretty impressive speed increases on phones with it .

And for £99 ya cant really touch it can you . have a look what you can get for that money .. and even buying a used phone you'd be hard pressed to match it .

RFB you've sealed the deal , SF it is . Just hope the shop has some in now lol :)