DHD Battery Life

Guest mwright

Guest t3monkeyboy

Hi All

Had my HTC DHD now for a few weeks, im on my second handset and third one is coming tomorrow, 1st one sim cover cracked, 2nd one sim cover does not fit properly and there is a gap between it and the body, apparently this is common and is due to the insides being misaligned you can see this if you look at the camera lens as it's slightly off centre.

Battery life - I was travelling yesterday from Liverpool to Bristol and with no major use the battery was draining so fast, i guess this is as the phone is always looking for a signal?

Had my phone at home today with mild usage checking emails a bit of browsing and its now been unplugged for 9 hrs 13 mis and still got 66% left.

For me the signal is the main problem, not as good as my Hero, hopefully its the handset and my 3rd one will be better, also get a clicking noise when on calls.

Other than this im loving the phone and dont want to swap it for anything else.

I found a big battery saving when changing screen timeout to 15 seconds.

cheers

Guest worcester4x4

"Unplugged for 42 hours"

Battery level = 14%

I don't know why anyone is complaining about battery life. OK, I'm not using it intensively but I have been emailing, web browsing, texting, making the odd phone call (3 I think) and playing Angry Birds for about two hours.

Guest meilechl
"Unplugged for 42 hours"

Battery level = 14%

I don't know why anyone is complaining about battery life. OK, I'm not using it intensively but I have been emailing, web browsing, texting, making the odd phone call (3 I think) and playing Angry Birds for about two hours.

I find the battery life miles better than the Desire, and I've only had mine for a few days.

Guest rexton270

So... Got very cheap HTC HD2 from chap who couldn't use it... Haven't used WinMo since 10/2008 was a nice comeback (for shorttime). The HTC SENSE UI deserves 2 thumbs up as without it the WinMo shows how outdated it is...

Anyhow, installed DHD ROM on my HD2 and now so happy that didn't spent a lot of money to get genuine DHD. Surprisingly, the battery lasted almost 3 days with latest WinMo ROM (3.14.xx) but running DHD drained battery within 8 hours. Formated memocard (FAT32,64KB) and replaced kernel to 8.2 and wolaa battery running almost 2 days...

My usual usage is like this :

Network - EDGE (3G when downloading bigger files or browsing)

3x Gmail acc (refresh 1x every 30 min and 2x every 2 hrs)

RSS - Update every 12 hrs

weather - update every 6 hrs

calls - 25-40 min per day

sms - 15-20 per day

web/market browsing - 2-3 hrs per day (on 3G/HSDPA)

Guest worcester4x4
So... Got very cheap HTC HD2 from chap who couldn't use it... Haven't used WinMo since 10/2008 was a nice comeback (for shorttime). The HTC SENSE UI deserves 2 thumbs up as without it the WinMo shows how outdated it is...

Anyhow, installed DHD ROM on my HD2 and now so happy that didn't spent a lot of money to get genuine DHD. Surprisingly, the battery lasted almost 3 days with latest WinMo ROM (3.14.xx) but running DHD drained battery within 8 hours. Formated memocard (FAT32,64KB) and replaced kernel to 8.2 and wolaa battery running almost 2 days...

My usual usage is like this :

Network - EDGE (3G when downloading bigger files or browsing)

3x Gmail acc (refresh 1x every 30 min and 2x every 2 hrs)

RSS - Update every 12 hrs

weather - update every 6 hrs

calls - 25-40 min per day

sms - 15-20 per day

web/market browsing - 2-3 hrs per day (on 3G/HSDPA)

Similar setup to you except fewer calls and using mainly wifi, not 3G. Also a couple of hours or so per day on Angry Birds.

I'm getting very good battery life, last charge lasted 52 hours. Currently at 79% battery after 20 hours unplugged.

Edited by worcester4x4

I can only say that battery in DHD lasts MUCH longer than in Desire. I think it is about 30-40% better. And I'm the one who uses phone VERY intensive. On Desire it was very easy to kill battery before day ends. On DHD it is almost impossible.

Edited by than33

Something strange happened to me:

I bought the DHD last Saturday.

Yesterday in the evening I played Angry Birds, used Internet with wi-fi, MSN Talk, wallpapers and htc hub

The battery went from 100% down to 78%

Then I shutted down the phone (I'm using the FastBoot option)

Today I turned it on after about 14 hours and the battery was at 25% !!!

Is that normal? Maybe because I recharged the battery only for one time?

Guest mwright
Something strange happened to me:

I bought the DHD last Saturday.

Yesterday in the evening I played Angry Birds, used Internet with wi-fi, MSN Talk, wallpapers and htc hub

The battery went from 100% down to 78%

Then I shutted down the phone (I'm using the FastBoot option)

Today I turned it on after about 14 hours and the battery was at 25% !!!

Is that normal? Maybe because I recharged the battery only for one time?

I am not 100% sure - but I think that "fastboot" is some sort of standby since it "boots" up so quickly. Perhaps it uses some battery to keep all the RAM alive?

Guest AndyCr15

Yeah, it's kind of a hibernation thing.

So you dropped 53% in 14 hours? No, that doesn't sound right, but possibly I had a similar thing to me, the one time I 'thought' I was using it. In 5 hours, my last 30% vanished. I thought maybe I'd turned it on myself by mistake, but maybe it's a fault with HTC's fastboot?

53% for the hibernate state would be too much. You will get something similar in plain stand by (or even better values).

You should do this again and see if it consumes so much battery again, if yes, write htc a complaint. :rolleyes:

yesterday Paul wrote on twitter:

PaulOBrien Paul O'Brien

Yowza, underclocking my Desire HD to 768MHz and doing some software tweaks has mahoosively increased battery life! Feels no slower too...

-

PaulOBrien Paul O'Brien

Desire HD battery life has gone from awful to excellent. This is why I don't review a device until I've used it properly in anger.

-

PaulOBrien Paul O'Brien

WIll share my Desire HD config on the forums today together with the MCR i'm now using.

I can't wait to use it, as I listen to music all day long, and I need to charge 2 times a day :/

Guest metatron

I know this is discussed in another thread - but for me it was the /init at 100% issue it was trashing my battery - enabling USB debugging fixed it, I get a good day out of it now and I don't skimp on updates (twitter/fb/exchange email/imap mailbox etc).

Also I notice I seem to get much better by using Wifi where possible. I have a few dodgy signal areas near me and I find (and did with others like my Nexus One) that when they struggle for signal, lock in and out and keep jumping between GPRS/3G then that can really suck your battery life.

Guest griff_dai

I'm nearly a month in with my Desire HD and the battery has gone from horrendous to brilliant!

I really push my HD to the max and can now with regular ease get well over 24 hours from one charge......

Only problem I have now, mine has to go back for replacement as the screen has come lose in the top right corner.... I have asked em to swap the battery's over but I don't know if they can B)

I did this yesterday...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712990

Disconnected my phone at 12:30 and 7 hours later I had 94% of battery left on it...

I started using a phone for good hour around 10pm and at midnight I had 64% left.

I have 3G on, no WiFi, e-mail sync is 15mins, Facebook 1 hour...

HTCSense.com is set on Push...

I turned off all syncing with Google and that has helped troumendeously....

So this charge trick has helped for sure, I am not quite sure I would say double, but it did quite a change...

Edit: Also forgot to say that I have Live Wallpaper turned on...

Edited by BrAb

right, the battery life is driving my nuts!

had the phone fully charged (used the charging trick as well), got out this morning with my DHD and iPhone4 at 7am, by 4pm, DHD is flat out cannot even switched on, iphone 4 86% left.

WTF!!

Had my phone unplugged for almost 3 days with lightweight use o_O You probably have too less display timout / too bright display or power consuming background processes... I wonder what drained your battery so hard? Can you check the battery usage and post some info?

Had my phone unplugged for almost 3 days with lightweight use o_O You probably have too less display timout / too bright display or power consuming background processes... I wonder what drained your battery so hard? Can you check the battery usage and post some info?

well, most of my setting are HTC default settings. It's pretty bad considered I ve only made one phone call on it. Anyway I m trying underclock the CPU as mentioned by Paul, will see if it improves anything.

used setcpu since yesterday, have improved battery life slightly by underclock the CPU, but its not as good as I'd hoped. left home at 7am, now 16% remain (compare to 84% on iphone4)

Battery Monitor as it 75% of the usage was by "Calendar", but I m not sure what's there to optimise given that all i m syncing is my email accounts (4 in total).

Guest AndyCr15

I had that at one point. Something is wrong. Quite often it gets stuck synchronizing I think. For one, from battery use press calendar and press Force Stop.

Do you see the looping arrows at the top all the time?

I had that at one point. Something is wrong. Quite often it gets stuck synchronizing I think. For one, from battery use press calendar and press Force Stop.

Do you see the looping arrows at the top all the time?

YES! now u mentioned it!! That would kill the battery easily.

I see the synching notification flashing up all the time..right, how did u solve this?