Very poor wifi reception (not disconnecting issue)

Guest aphones

Guest aphones

Hello, I have searched for this issue but all I can find is the wifi disconnecting thread. The issue im having is that the connection is fine as long as im within 5 meters from the router but if I go downstairs the signal drops to one dot and then becomes unstable/drops. My Iphone, N97, Laptop, old PSP, PS3 are all downstairs and most get full signal over wifi. Im on the Modaco R4 rom and have a ddwrt Linksys B+G router. I have tried all the channels of the router but have had no luck.

Now im just wondering could it be faulty or are they all weak at receiving wifi signals compared to other phones? I hope it isnt faulty because I just got it and unlocked it.

Thanks for any info.

Guest Stuart_f

Some people report low signal strength if they have bluetooth and wifi enabled together. This is thought to be because the same chip is responsible for both and the RF signals seems to interfere. If the same problem happens when you have bluetooth off then I'd go for faulty hardware :)

Guest aphones
Some people report low signal strength if they have bluetooth and wifi enabled together. This is thought to be because the same chip is responsible for both and the RF signals seems to interfere. If the same problem happens when you have bluetooth off then I'd go for faulty hardware :)

My bluetooth is off so that means bad news I guess?

Guest Stuart_f

Well you can't expect the same sort of reception you get on a laptop with 802.11n and 3 dedicated antennas but to give you some idea - I can get reception from the router everywhere in my brick-built house. The router is in the lounge at one end and 4 internal walls, a floor and about 60ft away I can get 2 bars in the bathroom. Outside I can get about 100ft before it starts dropping.

Guest aphones
Well you can't expect the same sort of reception you get on a laptop with 802.11n and 3 dedicated antennas but to give you some idea - I can get reception from the router everywhere in my brick-built house. The router is in the lounge at one end and 4 internal walls, a floor and about 60ft away I can get 2 bars in the bathroom. Outside I can get about 100ft before it starts dropping.

Thanks for the info, if thats the case then mine is ***** because that seems to be quite far in my opinion. Also most other devices around the house including a 6 yr old psp get 3-10 other connections when scanning (neighbours) but the SF only gets mine and even thats hard to find.

Edited by aphones

Guest AndyHibberd

Sounds like you have the same fault I had. Orange replaced it immediately, delivered the phone to my door.

Even told them over the phone that it didn't have an Orange SIM because I had unlocked it (long silence followed...). You might not want to share this info but heads up cos they ask you to do an OTA (over the air) test using an orange sim.

Good luck.

Andy

Guest aphones
Sounds like you have the same fault I had. Orange replaced it immediately, delivered the phone to my door.

Even told them over the phone that it didn't have an Orange SIM because I had unlocked it (long silence followed...). You might not want to share this info but heads up cos they ask you to do an OTA (over the air) test using an orange sim.

Good luck.

Andy

Cheers, Its a bit annoying tbh because i have it all sorted now, and because I fiddled with it im just going to tell them that I havnt got a sim inserted but i have tested the wifi and its faulty?

Guest aphones

Hi again I just got off the phone to Orange and the phone is being swapped for a new one, The lady on the phone told me to keep the sd card but nothing else, do they usually supply an entire phone with all the accessories? I though I would have to keep the battery, back and charger but this isnt the case?

Guest AndyHibberd

OK They are gonna bring you just the FRONT of the phone. So you wanna give them just the front too. No sim, memory, back, battery, cables etc.

Do what I did - Make a Clockwork Recovery backup of your phone, then restore it on the new phone. It will then be identical, clockwork takes a snapshot of EVERYTHING (minus SD card data).

Let me know if you need help.

Andy

Guest aphones
OK They are gonna bring you just the FRONT of the phone. So you wanna give them just the front too. No sim, memory, back, battery, cables etc.

Do what I did - Make a Clockwork Recovery backup of your phone, then restore it on the new phone. It will then be identical, clockwork takes a snapshot of EVERYTHING (minus SD card data).

Let me know if you need help.

Andy

OH ****** I already reflashed the stock rom before I came back to the thread, thanks for the help anyway.

On another note the strange thing is the woman assured me a few times that it will be a new sealed box with all the cables, maybe I can check it out if the driver can wait.

cheers

Guest aphones
facepalm-original.jpg

Obligatory. ALWAYS nandroid backup before major changes/trying out some crazy ROM, attempting system changes.

Yeh I learned a lesson, next time ill backup. At least it was only 1 day of use. Thanks again

Guest dan_dejs

hiya , i seem to have just realised after owning for a month that i cant connect to my wifi from any other room than the same one the router is in do you think this is definatly a fault ? how far away should i be able to connect to wifi having never owned a wifi capable phone/laptop before i have nothing to go on. cheers

dan

scrap that just read post #4 !! should really open my eyes will ring orange tomoz

keep it up :)

Edited by dan_dejs

Guest aphones
hiya , i seem to have just realised after owning for a month that i cant connect to my wifi from any other room than the same one the router is in do you think this is definatly a fault ? how far away should i be able to connect to wifi having never owned a wifi capable phone/laptop before i have nothing to go on. cheers

dan

scrap that just read post #4 !! should really open my eyes will ring orange tomoz

keep it up :)

I cant beleive it, I just got the other handset (fully boxed), it gets loads of wifi spots and gets close to a full signal downstairs, the other one was faulty for sure, it took a bit of messing about to get Orange to swap it because I had to talk to 3 different people. In the end im pleased with their service (even though im with 3)

It just makes me paranoid about what else could be wrong that I havent noticed. Sadly if this is their standard of quality control the phone will probably barely last a year. Anyway at the price a year is ok I suppose.

Guest Magnets

Comparing my san fran to my friends, on same router, it has 2 bars of signal vs full 4 bars on his when sitting 2 meters from the wifi router. Mine doesn't pick up the neighbours APs, where his does so I called orange and after 30-40 mins, 2 calls, being told to check my APN settings, activate my phone first, call my wifi provider and call orange back tomorrow morning (??) and being passed around I have one being sent to swap tomorrow.

I can see why people dislike Orange customer service.

Guest dan_dejs
Comparing my san fran to my friends, on same router, it has 2 bars of signal vs full 4 bars on his when sitting 2 meters from the wifi router. Mine doesn't pick up the neighbours APs, where his does so I called orange and after 30-40 mins, 2 calls, being told to check my APN settings, activate my phone first, call my wifi provider and call orange back tomorrow morning (??) and being passed around I have one being sent to swap tomorrow.

had same probs with orange got new phone today and its no better dont know if i'm unlucky and got another faulty unit or it is just poor wifi atenna :angry

Guest dan_dejs

had same probs with orange got new phone today and its no better dont know if i'm unlucky and got another faulty unit or it is just poor wifi antenna :angry

Guest dan_dejs

had same probs with orange got new phone today and its no better dont know if i'm unlucky and got another faulty unit or it is just poor wifi antenna :rolleyes:

triple post wtf ?!/!?

Edited by dan_dejs

• 1 month later...
Guest fLaMePr0oF

Bought new TFT SF from Orange high street store on Christmas Eve and it has faulty wifi - cannot get stable signal unless in same room as AP and even standing right next to AP the signal strength is only 2 bars.

As well as getting it replaced I'm also reporting Orange to Trading Standards over this; from the amount of online posts and the way Orange CS are dealing with this issue it's obvious that they are fully aware that they are selling a large quantity of faulty phones, probably in the hope that many users will not even use the wifi or simply not notice / put up with the faulty reception. It was bad enough that they changed the screen spec - from reviews I'd read I was expecting a phone with an OLED display.

I'd be interested to know if there is any correlation between the wifi problems and phone model, anyone out there had this issue with an OLED version of the phone?

fLaMePr0oF

Guest Phoenix Silver
had same probs with orange got new phone today and its no better dont know if i'm unlucky and got another faulty unit or it is just poor wifi antenna :(

triple post wtf ?!/!?

no it's your phone

with mine i see wi-fi of neibourghour (at least 10 rooters)

even in tramway i see wi-fi in shop's spots when i pass in front.

Guest my-planet

Bugger - my dad's phone has this same problem :-(

post-579600-1293908524_thumb.jpg

post-579600-1293908543_thumb.jpg

Have had the phone over a month now, bought instore. Shall I call the shop (not that they'll pick the damn phone up) or call orange direct?

post-579600-1293908552_thumb.jpg

Edited by my-planet

• 2 weeks later...
Guest costan1986

Hi everybody!

I've got the same problem with wifi reception, bluetooth is even worst! I believe due the same chip for both things.

Do you believe changing kernel/firmware can be helpful to fix this?

Guest dustofnations

I got one with a duff antenna too, the only option is to return it unfortunately. You may have to jump through a few hoops, because the standard CS agents don't understand that you should be able to connect to a wifi point more than 3m away from the base station. I would advise you ask to be put through to the handsets department (there are 2 afaik), once you get through to the right people with the requisite technical knowledge it is not a problem.

Guest costan1986
I got one with a duff antenna too, the only option is to return it unfortunately. You may have to jump through a few hoops, because the standard CS agents don't understand that you should be able to connect to a wifi point more than 3m away from the base station. I would advise you ask to be put through to the handsets department (there are 2 afaik), once you get through to the right people with the requisite technical knowledge it is not a problem.

Unfortunately, I'm in Italy and I really don't know how to return it. Maybe, I can try next time I travel to London, but I don't know if I can do everything for the return directly to the shop and how many days they take to change the handset.

I'll wait for a driver/firmware to fix this problem, otherwise I'll try to sell my handset for buying another one.

Guest hg blob

I had a very weak wifi (1 bar about 5 metres from the router) and I returned it to argos and got and a new one no fuss. They didn't even take note of what was wrong with it. Just got the new phone no questions asked. Wifi is now always over 50% around the house :D