Very poor wifi reception (not disconnecting issue)

Guest aphones

Guest costan1986

Before total surrender to this problem, is there any chance of finding a way to boost signal reception via software? A kernel option or a sort of it?

Before total surrender to this problem, is there any chance of finding a way to boost signal reception via software? A kernel option or a sort of it?

I think it's a hardware problem related to the chips or antenna or even just arrangement of parts. :D

Guest Magnets
whats the best app to check signal? i have 2 san frans here i think both may be faulty :P 1 is AMOLED also B)

Wifi Analyzer, or just look at the wifi icon in the notification bar and count the "bars".

But IMO you really need 1 good and 1 bad to be able to compare and notice the difference, even if you measure the dBm, you have no idea what it should be for your router/setup. :D

All I'd say is that if you have less than 3 bars when you are in the same room (<2M) as your router/AP then you've probably got a dud. My faulty one was dropping to 50% signal when moving to the other side of the [small] room with the router.

Edited by Magnets

Guest dustofnations

I think the WiFi signal strength issue may be a fairly common production fault, as I've seen a reasonable number of posts in here alone, and as a problem that isn't a simple binary "works/not work", I suspect plenty of people are probably using it with the fault simply assuming it is a poor phone.

Guest kennyli
I think the WiFi signal strength issue may be a fairly common production fault, as I've seen a reasonable number of posts in here alone, and as a problem that isn't a simple binary "works/not work", I suspect plenty of people are probably using it with the fault simply assuming it is a poor phone.

More like a hardware problem! There are 2 contact points missing on the antenna! See attached!

post-815308-1294829761_thumb.jpg

Guest fcluki07

hello

my first post on Modaco,

I have the same problems with my blade from polish play platform, wifi looks fine but only when i'm in a room with router (but not always, sometimes i use internet and wifi crsh, i have to off wifi and turn on) what do i do??

Guest costan1986
More like a hardware problem! There are 2 contact points missing on the antenna! See attached!

Mmm...this could be a starting point! Is this picture from a faulty handset? It needs to be compared to a fully working one.

Guest kennyli
Mmm...this could be a starting point! Is this picture from a faulty handset? It needs to be compared to a fully working one.

The handset in the picture is my brand new SF :D

The phone is brand new and fully working, but with very poor wifi signal. Just wanted to see what happened to the hardware inside!

I am not an Orange user so I don't have any warranty whatsoever!

Guest costan1986
The handset in the picture is my brand new SF :D

The phone is brand new and fully working, but with very poor wifi signal. Just wanted to see what happened to the hardware inside!

I am not an Orange user so I don't have any warranty whatsoever!

Yes, I was talking about seeing if a SF with good wifi reception has the same missing contacts.

Have you tried bluetooth too? My headset loses the signal when I'm more than 1m from the phone or if I cover it with the hand :S

Guest kennyli
Yes, I was talking about seeing if a SF with good wifi reception has the same missing contacts.

Have you tried bluetooth too? My headset loses the signal when I'm more than 1m from the phone or if I cover it with the hand :S

Yes, same problem with the bluetooth too!

I am quite sure the problem is the antenna, because when I connect the phone to an external antenna, the wifi signal become better than normal :D

Guest costan1986

I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION!!!!

Just push up all that tiny damned contacts on the phone and everything turns ok!

They are the connection to the microstrip antennas on the back of the phone. I don't know the location of bluetooth/wifi chipset (I believe it's the one on the top left). I've just pushed up all the contacts for not having any doubt :D. I did it very gently with a plastic screwdriver.

Now I've got full wifi bars in the router's room and a stronger signal all over the house!

Bluetooth headset now works great! I'm so excited!!!! :P

The only problem about this fix is that you need to remove the little white sticker on the top right screw, and I believe that this will invalidate warranty. I put it back where it was after I operated on the contacts...seems to be ok, but It also seems to be reproducible with another common white sticker if It's really a problem for warranty.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll compare my phone with my friend's one, that has no reception problems, using Wifi Analyzer. This will be the definitive test for the solution.

Thanks for the picture, Kennyli! It opened my mind! B)

Edited by costan1986

Guest kennyli

Just push up all that tiny damned contacts on the phone and everything turns ok!

They are the connection to the microstrip antennas on the back of the phone. I don't know the location of bluetooth/wifi chipset (I believe it's the one on the top left). I've just pushed up all the contacts for not having any doubt :D. I did it very gently with a plastic screwdriver.

Now I've got full wifi bars in the router's room and a stronger signal all over the house!

The only problem about this fix is that you need to remove the little white sticker on the top right screw, and I believe that this will invalidate warranty. I put it back where it was after I operated on the contacts...seems to be ok, but It also seems to be reproducible with another common white sticker if It's really a problem for warranty.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll compare my phone with my friend's one, that has no reception problems, using Wifi Analyzer. This will be the definitive test for the solution.

Do you have missing contact points? Can you take a photo and compare with mine?

Guest costan1986
Do you have missing contact points? Can you take a photo and compare with mine?

It's exactly identical as you. I don't know if the missing contacts are a hardware missing or a sort of testing point for antennas. Anyway my method seems to work, I'm only waiting to meet my friends for a comparison.

One thing I see playing with WiFi Analyzer is that if i cover the bottom part of the phone (near the physical buttons) with two hands, signal reception increases very much, maybe due the cheap antenna.

I'll post some screenshots this afternoon after I've compared with other SF

Guest fcluki07

yes please add some photo.

Guest SDragon

Hi all,

been watching the Modaco Forum and i took the opportunity to post on this issue.

I have 2 SF with poor wifi reception so, yesterday, after reading the above post, i got curious and tried to do it on one of SF phones. I didn't get a HUGE improvement but it sure got better! The phone now has coverage in my entire house and the other one hasn't.

Any more suggestions on how to improve the signal reception on this cheap antenna?

Thanks

Guest costan1986

So, this is the test I've done this morning with my friends' phones.

There are 3 phones:

1. TFT with Jellyfish RLS6: fully working without any reception problem

2. AMOLED with Stock Rom B05: the owner said that reception is not bad, there are few possibilities of been afflicted by the problem, bluetooth reception is quite good, wifi a little less

3. AMOLED with Stock Rom B05 (mine): it had the reception problem, fixed yesterday pushing up antenna's contacts.

I did the same test with Wifi Analyzer, in the same place, in the same position, with 4 hot-spots available. 1 second refresh for all graph. I did it with a LG Optimus One too, for a neutral comparison.

As you can see form the images, TFT with JF (1) has the strongest signal but with a lot of ripple. I don't know how the AMOLED (2) receive costant signal (I believe some apps were running in backgroun) so let's consider only red and deep-blue signals for this. My phone (3) seems to stay in the middle.

I agree with SDragon, I don't know if fixing antenna's contacts is the best we can have, but It works with me for now.

I don't know why when I hold tight the phone with both hands on the bottom part (in proximity of the bottom side antenna), signal reception goes quite up, and I don't want to say something stupid like apply an antenna booster like this http://www.antennabooster.net, but this thing costs less than 2 euros. Maybe it worths to try.

THE IMAGES ARE IN THIS ORDER: (1),(2),(3),(LG Optimus ONE)

post-820959-1294942553_thumb.png

post-820959-1294942559_thumb.png

post-820959-1294942564_thumb.png

post-820959-1294942570_thumb.png

Edited by costan1986

Guest fcluki07

hi

so tell me how much meters did you have to routers?? red line is signal to your router, yes?? if you can please make some comparison with your repair phone and your ruter (1m, 5m, and more) and second thing can you take a photo what i have to repair?? which contacts etc

thanks

Guest costan1986
hi

so tell me how much meters did you have to routers?? red line is signal to your router, yes?? if you can please make some comparison with your repair phone and your ruter (1m, 5m, and more) and second thing can you take a photo what i have to repair?? which contacts etc

thanks

There's no need of posting a picture, contacts you have to move are those shown on Kennyli picture, I've juste pushed up all the contacts because I don't know the right position of bluetooth/wifi chip (I believe that is the one on the top left of the picture).

Anyway, the red signal is from a repeater near the roof of the library at my university, at about 10m from the phones. The other 3 signals are from other repeater positioned all over the corridors.

I can't meet my friends for other comparison next days, but what i've learned from this test is that my phone now works fine like the other 2 SF. I believe the OLED one with stock rom like mine has not the reception problem, simply gets a signal weaker than me because it's glogged by rubbish app running background. The TFT, instead, maybe have strongest reception due 2.2 firmware. Next days I'm going to install JellyFish, make a test with my router and than retry the test at university to see if I can get the same signal as TFT one.

Edited by costan1986

Guest machode

just tried this and i can now sit at least 2 metres away from my router. joking aside it has definately improved the signal, i'm ok anywhere in the same room as the router as before i needed to be sat at the computer. cheers.

Guest Evanb78
All I'd say is that if you have less than 3 bars when you are in the same room (<2M) as your router/AP then you've probably got a dud. My faulty one was dropping to 50% signal when moving to the other side of the [small] room with the router.

I would be happy to have 3 bars in the same room where the router is. I have 1 bar when Blade is next to the router and 0-1 bars in the same room. When I move to the next room, the signal drops completely. My other three phones (WinMo, Blackberry, iPhone) show full signal everywhere in my home. They also detect 10-15 different WiFi APs while Blaze detects 2-3 at most.

post-822726-1295517309_thumb.pngpost-822726-1295517328_thumb.png

I missed to say that I'm going to try JellyFish to see if I can reach the TFT signal reception

Did you try the Jellyfish? Any improvements with the WiFi reception?

Edited by Evanb78