Photo

Very poor wifi reception (not disconnecting issue)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

my-planet

my-planet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Bugger - my dad's phone has this same problem :-(
Attached File  2011_01_01_18.15.13.jpg   545.7KB   148 downloads
Attached File  2011_01_01_18.16.59.jpg   574.71KB   95 downloads
Have had the phone over a month now, bought instore. Shall I call the shop (not that they'll pick the damn phone up) or call orange direct?

Attached Files

Edited by my-planet, 01 January 2011 - 07:05 PM.

costan1986

costan1986

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Hi everybody!

I've got the same problem with wifi reception, bluetooth is even worst! I believe due the same chip for both things.
Do you believe changing kernel/firmware can be helpful to fix this?

dustofnations

dustofnations

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I got one with a duff antenna too, the only option is to return it unfortunately. You may have to jump through a few hoops, because the standard CS agents don't understand that you should be able to connect to a wifi point more than 3m away from the base station. I would advise you ask to be put through to the handsets department (there are 2 afaik), once you get through to the right people with the requisite technical knowledge it is not a problem.

costan1986

costan1986

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

I got one with a duff antenna too, the only option is to return it unfortunately. You may have to jump through a few hoops, because the standard CS agents don't understand that you should be able to connect to a wifi point more than 3m away from the base station. I would advise you ask to be put through to the handsets department (there are 2 afaik), once you get through to the right people with the requisite technical knowledge it is not a problem.

Unfortunately, I'm in Italy and I really don't know how to return it. Maybe, I can try next time I travel to London, but I don't know if I can do everything for the return directly to the shop and how many days they take to change the handset.

I'll wait for a driver/firmware to fix this problem, otherwise I'll try to sell my handset for buying another one.

hg blob

hg blob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I had a very weak wifi (1 bar about 5 metres from the router) and I returned it to argos and got and a new one no fuss. They didn't even take note of what was wrong with it. Just got the new phone no questions asked. Wifi is now always over 50% around the house :D

costan1986

costan1986

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Before total surrender to this problem, is there any chance of finding a way to boost signal reception via software? A kernel option or a sort of it?

wtel

wtel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Before total surrender to this problem, is there any chance of finding a way to boost signal reception via software? A kernel option or a sort of it?

I think it's a hardware problem related to the chips or antenna or even just arrangement of parts. :D

orangeman2003

orangeman2003

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy Nexus
whats the best app to check signal? i have 2 san frans here i think both may be faulty :D 1 is AMOLED also :P

Magnets

Magnets

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

whats the best app to check signal? i have 2 san frans here i think both may be faulty :P 1 is AMOLED also B)

Wifi Analyzer, or just look at the wifi icon in the notification bar and count the "bars".
But IMO you really need 1 good and 1 bad to be able to compare and notice the difference, even if you measure the dBm, you have no idea what it should be for your router/setup. :D

All I'd say is that if you have less than 3 bars when you are in the same room (<2M) as your router/AP then you've probably got a dud. My faulty one was dropping to 50% signal when moving to the other side of the [small] room with the router.

Edited by Magnets, 12 January 2011 - 12:06 AM.

dustofnations

dustofnations

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I think the WiFi signal strength issue may be a fairly common production fault, as I've seen a reasonable number of posts in here alone, and as a problem that isn't a simple binary "works/not work", I suspect plenty of people are probably using it with the fault simply assuming it is a poor phone.

kennyli

kennyli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco

I think the WiFi signal strength issue may be a fairly common production fault, as I've seen a reasonable number of posts in here alone, and as a problem that isn't a simple binary "works/not work", I suspect plenty of people are probably using it with the fault simply assuming it is a poor phone.

More like a hardware problem! There are 2 contact points missing on the antenna! See attached!

Attached Files

fcluki07

fcluki07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hello
my first post on Modaco,
I have the same problems with my blade from polish play platform, wifi looks fine but only when i'm in a room with router (but not always, sometimes i use internet and wifi crsh, i have to off wifi and turn on) what do i do??

costan1986

costan1986

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

More like a hardware problem! There are 2 contact points missing on the antenna! See attached!

Mmm...this could be a starting point! Is this picture from a faulty handset? It needs to be compared to a fully working one.

kennyli

kennyli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Mmm...this could be a starting point! Is this picture from a faulty handset? It needs to be compared to a fully working one.

The handset in the picture is my brand new SF :D

The phone is brand new and fully working, but with very poor wifi signal. Just wanted to see what happened to the hardware inside!

I am not an Orange user so I don't have any warranty whatsoever!

costan1986

costan1986

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

The handset in the picture is my brand new SF :D

The phone is brand new and fully working, but with very poor wifi signal. Just wanted to see what happened to the hardware inside!

I am not an Orange user so I don't have any warranty whatsoever!

Yes, I was talking about seeing if a SF with good wifi reception has the same missing contacts.

Have you tried bluetooth too? My headset loses the signal when I'm more than 1m from the phone or if I cover it with the hand :S

kennyli

kennyli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes, I was talking about seeing if a SF with good wifi reception has the same missing contacts.

Have you tried bluetooth too? My headset loses the signal when I'm more than 1m from the phone or if I cover it with the hand :S

Yes, same problem with the bluetooth too!

I am quite sure the problem is the antenna, because when I connect the phone to an external antenna, the wifi signal become better than normal :D

costan1986

costan1986

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION!!!!

Just push up all that tiny damned contacts on the phone and everything turns ok!

They are the connection to the microstrip antennas on the back of the phone. I don't know the location of bluetooth/wifi chipset (I believe it's the one on the top left). I've just pushed up all the contacts for not having any doubt :D. I did it very gently with a plastic screwdriver.

Now I've got full wifi bars in the router's room and a stronger signal all over the house!
Bluetooth headset now works great! I'm so excited!!!! :P

The only problem about this fix is that you need to remove the little white sticker on the top right screw, and I believe that this will invalidate warranty. I put it back where it was after I operated on the contacts...seems to be ok, but It also seems to be reproducible with another common white sticker if It's really a problem for warranty.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll compare my phone with my friend's one, that has no reception problems, using Wifi Analyzer. This will be the definitive test for the solution.

Thanks for the picture, Kennyli! It opened my mind! B)

Edited by costan1986, 12 January 2011 - 10:47 PM.

kennyli

kennyli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Just push up all that tiny damned contacts on the phone and everything turns ok!

They are the connection to the microstrip antennas on the back of the phone. I don't know the location of bluetooth/wifi chipset (I believe it's the one on the top left). I've just pushed up all the contacts for not having any doubt :D. I did it very gently with a plastic screwdriver.

Now I've got full wifi bars in the router's room and a stronger signal all over the house!

The only problem about this fix is that you need to remove the little white sticker on the top right screw, and I believe that this will invalidate warranty. I put it back where it was after I operated on the contacts...seems to be ok, but It also seems to be reproducible with another common white sticker if It's really a problem for warranty.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll compare my phone with my friend's one, that has no reception problems, using Wifi Analyzer. This will be the definitive test for the solution.

Do you have missing contact points? Can you take a photo and compare with mine?

costan1986

costan1986

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Do you have missing contact points? Can you take a photo and compare with mine?

It's exactly identical as you. I don't know if the missing contacts are a hardware missing or a sort of testing point for antennas. Anyway my method seems to work, I'm only waiting to meet my friends for a comparison.
One thing I see playing with WiFi Analyzer is that if i cover the bottom part of the phone (near the physical buttons) with two hands, signal reception increases very much, maybe due the cheap antenna.
I'll post some screenshots this afternoon after I've compared with other SF

fcluki07

fcluki07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

yes please add some photo.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users