Very poor wifi reception (not disconnecting issue)

Guest aphones

Guest costan1986
Did you try the Jellyfish? Any improvements with the WiFi reception?

Yes, I tried this afternoon. With my router at my home I can see an improvement in the range of 5-10dB with JellyFishRLS6....so the only difference with the fully working TFT in my first test was different ROM that I was using on my phone.

I believe moving the contacts of the antennas inside the phone and installing a 2.2 ROM is the definitive solution, guys.

If anyone has this problem and is going to do this fix, please make some picture with WifiAnalyzer before and after the procedure....just for final confirmation

Bye!

Edited by costan1986

Guest Evanb78
I noticed considerable wifi signal gain when i switched from pauls rom to japanese jellyfish.

Yes, I tried this afternoon. With my router at my home I can see an improvement in the range of 5-10dB with JellyFishRLS6....so the only difference with the fully working TFT in my first test was different ROM that I was using on my phone.

I believe moving the contacts of the antennas inside the phone and installing a 2.2 ROM is the definitive solution, guys.

If anyone has this problem and is going to do this fix, please make some picture with WifiAnalyzer before and after the procedure....just for final confirmation

I noticed exactly the same with the Japanese JellyfishRLS8. The signal went up 5-10dBm and Blade now detects 4-6 neighbourhood WiFi APs instead of 2-3 like the other ROMs. However, I think that this is not because it's a v2.2 ROM but because it has a different radio. Before the JellyfishRLS8 I had the FLBr6 and the signal was just as bad as some v2.1 ROMs I tried.

As for moving the contacts of the antennas inside the phone, could be a solution but I don't want to try it since my phone has a valid warranty. Better to send it for replacement.

Guest costan1986
I noticed exactly the same with the Japanese JellyfishRLS8. The signal went up 5-10dBm and Blade now detects 4-6 neighbourhood WiFi APs instead of 2-3 like the other ROMs. However, I think that this is not because it's a v2.2 ROM but because it has a different radio. Before the JellyfishRLS8 I had the FLBr6 and the signal was just as bad as some v2.1 ROMs I tried.

As for moving the contacts of the antennas inside the phone, could be a solution but I don't want to try it since my phone has a valid warranty. Better to send it for replacement.

Yes, if you are in UK, replacement will be the better solution...I'm in Italy and open the phone was the only thing to do.

Guest amd3000

Hi,

Had lots of wifi problems to start with. Suspected the phone until i tried connecting to my mates router with no problems.

Anyway... Problem turned out to be Tesco's cheap and nasty thomson wireless router which had firmware issues for connecting wireless devices. After lots of calls to them they came clean and admitted there was a problem with these routers. They sent a firmware upgrade down the line to correct the issue, which it did not !!!!!

Blade, itouch and iphone still would not connect or dropped out etc.

Solved the problem by taking the router outside and smashing it with a hammer :-)

Hooked up my old zyxel which i had prior to tesco and presto, everything works perfect.

Maybe a fair few problems are router based ?

Guest Artales

Here's a before and after. Pretty lazy test, I simply bent the contacts up and put the phone back together. This is a couple of rooms from my not so hot TalkyTalky router.

post-809514-1295998820_thumb.jpg

Guest costan1986
Here's a before and after. Pretty lazy test, I simply bent the contacts up and put the phone back together. This is a couple of rooms from my not so hot TalkyTalky router.

post-809514-1295998820_thumb.jpg

That's good :lol:

Guest boristhespie

MY wifi is great. My ipod touch is gash so I rely on the phone. Someone said that they got Orange to change it but that you may not want to disclose if you unlocked it. The reality is unlocking doesn;t void warrantee so if you bought it from an organge shop or any other they have to replace/refund faulty product.

Flashing a new Rom would void warantee so keep that to yourself.

Guest costan1986
Hmm, yeah it's good for a few hours, then it starts to lose reception again. This morning it's as bad as ever. :)

It still works for me. Maybe you've pulled up the contacts too little :lol:

You can notice that contacts on the bottom of the phone have a sort of plastic support, maybe you can try this kind of solution even with other contacts.

Guest Artales

Yeah, I saw that bit of silicone and turned it around, it looks wedge shaped, but I could be wrong.

I haven't given up yet! :) Not after the reception I got for several hours yesterday, it was spot on.

@costan1986

Oh and thanks for the suggestion! :lol:

@kennyli

Thanks for the image! :)

Edited by Artales

Guest Artales

I've sliced up a fairly stiff eraser into cross sections about 1.5mm thick, shaped them and wedged them under the contacts. I've now got most of the reception back - I'm getting 3 bars again. I can now stream again, whew. :lol: I'm about to submit my CV for a dev role at ZTE.

Guest costan1986
I've sliced up a fairly stiff eraser into cross sections about 1.5mm thick, shaped them and wedged them under the contacts. I've now got most of the reception back - I'm getting 3 bars again. I can now stream again, whew. ;) I'm about to submit my CV for a dev role at ZTE.

Let me know...I'm looking for a job ;)

Guest Slash24/7

Hey guys,

i have a problem with my blade. I just used this fix here and put the phone together and now the touchscreen is not working anymore !!

anybody any ideas ??

Guest Artales
Hey guys,

i have a problem with my blade. I just used this fix here and put the phone together and now the touchscreen is not working anymore !!

anybody any ideas ??

Erk, sorry to hear that. I honestly haven't a clue what to look for, it might be a ribbon cable connector, but I guess you've disturbed something in there. Odd though as the screen is on the other side of the phone. I'd check and double check that everything is where it should be.

Good luck

Guest Slash24/7

hey,

I'd check and double check that everything is where it should be but it is still not working. I also removed the the front cover and checked the screen connection at the ribbon cable connector but no effect!

mabye some more ideas ?

Guest costan1986
hey,

I'd check and double check that everything is where it should be but it is still not working. I also removed the the front cover and checked the screen connection at the ribbon cable connector but no effect!

mabye some more ideas ?

Have you solved this issue?

Just wondering did anyone else try this fix and been successful?,i thought i had this problem with wifi or i have,,but im not to sure if its the flb r6 rom,im sure it had more signal before on stock rom.

But i was thinking is the signal meter on the phone out a bit,im sat 3m form the router and its showing 2-3 bars,yet wif analyser is showing high and wifi manager is showing 4 bars strong.

I live in a flat my router is in my lounge,if i got and stand outside at the front door,the standard wifi shows 1 to nothing yet i can still surf,youtube etc,,wifi manager shows 1-2 bars,it about 15m away outside through 2 walls..i cant work it..im still thinking of trying this though to maybe improve further if i can

Guest costan1986

I received 3 messages from people that tried the fix with success. Just another one has issue with touchscreen, but I think he did something wrong while opening the phone

Edited by costan1986

Guest rayvonius

I bought a San Francisco from an Orange shop on Monday as a present for my son. An absolutely cracking little phone BUT wifi and bluetooth reception was almost non-existant. I had to be less that 1 metre away from a bluetooth device before the phone would see it and virtually in the same room as the wireless router before it would show up. I read all the posts in this thread with dismay especially the problems people were having with Orange when trying to get a refund. So I read up on the Sale of Goods Act (1979) and went to the shop prepared for a fight! In actual fact I was very pleasantly surprised - the guy in the shop offered to replace it straight away or give me a refund. I opted for a replacement and tested it out in the shop side by side with the faulty one. The new one picked up loads of access points in the shopping centre whereas the old one didn't pick anything up. Needless to say my son is very pleased with his phone. I think it's probably pot luck whether you get a good one or not - ZTE's quality control leaves a lot to be desired. It's such a well specced phone for the money that it's worth the risk if you are confident you will be able to get a replacement if it's one of the dodgy ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys... I found something *very* strange... Looks like I am an owner of the faulty Blade, too bad, anyway when I was experimenting with it I came across some strange results... If I make a gap in my phone's back cover (more than 5 mm wide on top or bottom) I suddenly see a load of WiFi access points and also I get strong and stable connection with my own router!

At first I wanted to tear my phone apart to re-seat all those little connectors, but I started with the WiFi analyzer still running and suddenly... WOW! I was shocked! All those networks suddenly popped out on my screen! Looks like maybe the back plate is made of some kind of plastic mixed with a metal, that is cutting the WiFi signal out? What do you think? It's very strange..

Guest Phoenix Silver
I bought a San Francisco from an Orange shop on Monday as a present for my son. An absolutely cracking little phone BUT wifi and bluetooth reception was almost non-existant. I had to be less that 1 metre away from a bluetooth device before the phone would see it and virtually in the same room as the wireless router before it would show up. I read all the posts in this thread with dismay especially the problems people were having with Orange when trying to get a refund. So I read up on the Sale of Goods Act (1979) and went to the shop prepared for a fight! In actual fact I was very pleasantly surprised - the guy in the shop offered to replace it straight away or give me a refund. I opted for a replacement and tested it out in the shop side by side with the faulty one. The new one picked up loads of access points in the shopping centre whereas the old one didn't pick anything up. Needless to say my son is very pleased with his phone. I think it's probably pot luck whether you get a good one or not - ZTE's quality control leaves a lot to be desired. It's such a well specced phone for the money that it's worth the risk if you are confident you will be able to get a replacement if it's one of the dodgy ones.

yes it's a put

i was lucky

blade see twice more hot spots than my wifi card in pc :huh:

Guest g-rasshopper

This presents a dilemma for me. I bought a San Francisco a couple of weeks ago from Argos. The wifi reception is certainly very poor. But it's borderline whether it's so poor that I definitely have the hardware fault that others here have described. It could just be my cheap router. If I use the phone right next to the router I get three bars. But if I move to the room next door the signal strength rapidly tails off, and I can't get reception everywhere in the house.

I'm tempted to take it back and try my luck with another phone. But Argos have been out of stock for ages so I might have to ask for a refund instead.

I've also got the incredibly irritating disconnection issue. But I understand that can be solved (or at least alleviated) through software.

A bad wifi connection is a potential deal-breaker for me as I only intend to use the phone on wifi. I haven't even bothered fitting the sim card yet.

Guest g-rasshopper
I am quite sure the problem is the antenna, because when I connect the phone to an external antenna, the wifi signal become better than normal :huh:

Can you tell me how you did that? I didn't realise there was a way to attach external antennas to the phone.