Very poor wifi reception (not disconnecting issue)

Guest aphones

• 6 months later...
Guest MadeInMachines

ZTE SKATE - Same Issue?

I've been wondering about this for a while. When in the same position as my laptop my laptop gets full wifi reception - my phone gets mostly just the bottom tip of reception on the wifi meter. I figured it was just because phones had a smaller receiver or something for wifi as it is my first wifi phone. Of course wifi signal is great when in the same room as my router but that's not the point.

My phone is over a year old now as I just accepted it was just the nature of wifi on phones but it bugs me a lot especially given 3g is really poor in my area. Could I get a swap at the orange store perhaps? It's rooted and unlocked though but I guess that can be reversed can't it? Using stock orange ROM.

Edited by MadeInMachines

Guest MadeInMachines

More like a hardware problem! There are 2 contact points missing on the antenna! See attached!

I tried to push the pins up to improve contact but it seems to have made no difference on my zte skate

• 1 month later...
Guest rafaelrezend

I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION!!!!

Just push up all that tiny damned contacts on the phone and everything turns ok!

They are the connection to the microstrip antennas on the back of the phone. I don't know the location of bluetooth/wifi chipset (I believe it's the one on the top left). I've just pushed up all the contacts for not having any doubt biggrin.gif. I did it very gently with a plastic screwdriver.

Now I've got full wifi bars in the router's room and a stronger signal all over the house!

Bluetooth headset now works great! I'm so excited!!!! biggrin.gif

The only problem about this fix is that you need to remove the little white sticker on the top right screw, and I believe that this will invalidate warranty. I put it back where it was after I operated on the contacts...seems to be ok, but It also seems to be reproducible with another common white sticker if It's really a problem for warranty.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll compare my phone with my friend's one, that has no reception problems, using Wifi Analyzer. This will be the definitive test for the solution.

Thanks for the picture, Kennyli! It opened my mind! biggrin.gif

Solved!!! I had the same problem for months!! I was about to make a hole in the wall, to move the router closer to my bedroom!!

Thank you!!