Great Apps for Omnia II (a little update)

Guest bobfrantic

Guest bobfrantic

I have tried many roms from this site which has been a great learning experience for me. What started me off experimenting with custome roms was realizing that the screens provided by Samsung were lacking features and limited in the number of shortcuts we could have. I also tried most of the Sense roms with Cookies Home Tab, which had many spaces for shortcuts, looked great as far as eye candy went, but used too much ram and battery to allow smooth running of my phone. One annoyance was that music would skip and stutter and I listen to music alot with my phone. So I did some searching and found a couple of great apps that keep ram usage down.

Here is the Today screen of my phone:

post-746506-1292229358_thumb.jpg

Made a couple of minor changes to my phone. I installed Homescreen plusplus and use the messaging notifications, date and provider, and the icons at the bottom of my screen. I removed the TodayXClock from the today screen. Instead I use BattClock for the clock and to show my free ram. The files for Homescreen plusplus and BattClock are added to the post #3 for your download pleasure :)

TodayXClock came from this link:

LofFactory TodayXClock

The shortcuts are thanks to Easy Today Launcher, from this page:

LofFactory Easytodaylauncher

What is nice about the Easy Today Launcher is you can put unlimited shortcuts on your today screen. It is also very configurable. The only drawback that I have found so far, is if the number of shortcuts added goes beyond the bottom of your screen, you get a scroll bar on the right side which is kinda ugly. Hopefully the developer of the app will make it scroll by swiping only one day...

I get 105 megs ram on fresh boot and phone runs around 92 megs on average. I currently use Speedfrogs JH1 vT rom on my phone which is a great lite rom and runs very well. I also have Quickmenu installed, and have Arlo start menu remover giving me another 15 megs ram free :)

I did search on this site to see if these were posted, and a couple of searches came up empty. So if you are looking for low ram usage, simple operation and eye candy doesn't matter much, I hope that this post is of assistance to you.

Edited by bobfrantic

Guest bobfrantic

Here are some of the programs I use:

For WinMo 6.5

Arto_Start_menu_Remover_wm6.5.cab

For 6.5.x

Arto_Start_menu_Remover_wm6.5.x.cab

Also quickmenu too:

Quick.Menu.v2.8.414.1614.cab

A working HTC Taskmanager 2.1 for WVGA phones:

htc_task_2.1.cab

BattClock (very customizable)

BattClock.3.0.6.CAB

Homescreen PlusPlus with Clock theme

HomeScreen_PlusPlus_UI_Clock.CAB

Oh, and if you want more information on any of these, I suggest Google hehe it is a great tool. :)

Enjoy :)

Edited by bobfrantic

Guest bobfrantic
i like your idea very much.

Can u share the applications for weather plug-in. TQ

No sorry can't do that, its a pay program from SPB but worth the purchase for sure...

Guest bobfrantic
or just use iphone today if you wanna the swiping action.. you can stack other today plugins as well.. used to stack resco today with ipt..

I haven't tried the iphone yet, but I don't think it would give me the 94 meg free ram... so will just stay with the setup i gots, thanks tho' :)

Its posted on a few threads but for ease of getting here you go:

For WinMo 6.5

Arto_Start_menu_Remover_wm6.5.cab

For 6.5.x

Arto_Start_menu_Remover_wm6.5.x.cab

Also quickmenu too:

Quick.Menu.v2.8.414.1614.cab

Enjoy :)

Massive memory boost from that, but it is messing up my softkey bar as it also removes the start button. Using Energy Sencity 21683 with sense disabled I have 88mb stable and a few more on boot. Battery is great too without sense :)

Guest bobfrantic
Massive memory boost from that, but it is messing up my softkey bar as it also removes the start button. Using Energy Sencity 21683 with sense disabled I have 88mb stable and a few more on boot. Battery is great too without sense :)

yes the start menu is removed with the remover program so I just mapped the middle button to qmenu and use that instead :)

yes the start menu is removed with the remover program so I just mapped the middle button to qmenu and use that instead :rolleyes:

I reinstalled it and from then on the start button came back and all the issues disappeared. My phone runs all day with between 85mb in the morning down to about 75mb in the evening. :huh:

Guest bobfrantic
I reinstalled it and from then on the start button came back and all the issues disappeared. My phone runs all day with between 85mb in the morning down to about 75mb in the evening. :huh:

Good to read!! I have a lite rom with no sense (like me LOL) and I run after reboot at 94 meg free and on average 85 meg. Battery lasts for 5 days too :rolleyes:

One is always glad to be of service hehe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bobfrantic

I see a lot of download from the links I put here, just curious how things are working for everyone. I have changed from the samsung dialer to default dialer along with the other things and now when I do a fresh reboot I am at 103 megs free ram B). Using Speedfrog XXJH1 light rom which runs great, so thanks to the chef for it!!!!! Let me know please if the apps are helping you get more free ram, what is the amount you get after fresh reboot, and do they help your O2 run better. Also which rom are you using if you don't mind please.

Edited by bobfrantic

Guest bobfrantic
WHO KNOW A SENSE LIKE CLOCK PLUGIN FOR WVGA?

I don't know of any sorry but there are many themes that have them built in, just do some searching through this forum and you should find one.

Guest drorcun
I see a lot of download from the links I put here, just curious how things are working for everyone. I have changed from the samsung dialer to default dialer along with the other things and now when I do a fresh reboot I am at 103 megs free ram B). Using Speedfrog XXJH1 light rom which runs great, so thanks to the chef for it!!!!! Let me know please if the apps are helping you get more free ram, what is the amount you get after fresh reboot, and do they help your O2 run better. Also which rom are you using if you don't mind please.

i disabled start menu and installed spb mobile shell instead. now i have 101 mb free on start-up with jh2 ulite..

Guest bobfrantic
Removing the start Menu will remove also the Today screen?

No, all it does is disable winmo start menu, clicking start won't work. Best to have middle button mapped to the Quick menu first.

Guest silviaccio1
No, all it does is disable winmo start menu, clicking start won't work. Best to have middle button mapped to the Quick menu first.

So it is possble to remove the 'Start menu' application, put something on today screen and use SPB MS as start menu?!!!

If yes it would be wonderful!!

Guest piotrwinmo

OK. I can recommend following configuration: uTask + MMAppLauncher. 10MB more RAM memory + better start menu + fully configurable softkeys.

So it is possble to remove the 'Start menu' application, put something on today screen and use SPB MS as start menu?!!!

If yes it would be wonderful!!

Guest bobfrantic
OK. I can recommend following configuration: uTask + MMAppLauncher. 10MB more RAM memory + better start menu + fully configurable softkeys.

I tried the MMAppLauncer out, it is nice looking and runs smooth but... I lost 11 megs ram with it set to load on boot, and the quick menu turned off. Usually on fresh boot with Quick menu and start menu disabled I have 104 megs free, with MMApplauncher I had 93 megs free. So I turned off the Applauncher and turned on Quick menu. Went to remove programs and uninstalled applauncher, and when it was uninstalled, the phone was none responsive. I had to power it off and restart it. So I am not impressed with that program at all. I didn't use the uTask, as it is for windows 6.5.3 and i run 6.5 on my phone. Just had to report my test of it is all, not critizing anyone for their choices. Thanks for the suggestion.