Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

News:

- Froyo is ready for download!

- 2.6.32 kernel (latest from Samsung sources) is being ported to O2

Greetings the dev-team

---------------------------------------------

Info sites:

- Project page

- Beta download page. Please do not mirror, because we need download statistics.

- Kernel source browser For access use svn client and address: svn://o2droid.phj.hu/droid.

- FAQ and HOW TO's @modaco. Please do not ask questions in this thread.

- almar's twitter

Supported features in Eclair public beta2 release:

- Android 2.1 (Eclair)

- Display and touchscreen

- Hardware keys

- Internal and External storage

- Sound

- 2D acceleration and brightness control/backlight

- Vibrator

- Battery driver/charging

- Phone

- Wifi & Android market

- GPS

- USB (ADB)

- 3G/Data connection

- Sensor implementation in Android (without proximity sensor)

- rooted phone ;-)

- back Camera works

Supported features in the Froyo public beta

- Android 2.2 Froyo compiled from sources with some O2 optimizatios

- almost all as in eclair is working

- Phone

- WiFi

- GPS

- Data connections (GPRS)

- Sensors (not everything is working: accelerometer can work, but compass not)

- 2D/3D (Samsung not allowed to us to distribute the 2D/3D library binaries, so they are not included in the image).

- MP4/3GP movie play (camera hardware button doesn't work yet)

- Camera in photo (up to 5MP) and movie recording mode (it's still not 480p, but works)

Note: There is still error, when within telephone conversation in approx.30 seconds the LCD

Features under development:

- Enable in driver 24bit display support and get rid of banding

- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) {slooooow and some Eclair features broken}

- Bluetooth implementation in Android (it's working at kernel level)

- Front Camera

Possible future features

- Open Source (github.com build)

- TV-Out

Some android on O2 videos:

(public Alpha release)

(June 20 2010) stable sound

(Oktober 18 2010) receiving a call

You can help out the developers by:

Nothing at the moment.

-----------------------------------------------

mail info to [email protected]

----------------------------------------------

Edited by almar

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest bobhero

Good timing, I have a bit of free time right now ;)

Here is some information for people who don't want to read the whole thread.

Video of Beta on Omnia II by Rapid81:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8khXDEOO96Y

Here is a tutorial by l3ong91 @ XDA

1. Backup the files on your microSD first.

2. Go to Start>Settings>Memory Settings>Storage Card and click Format.

3. Download any one of the files provided on http://o2droid.phj.hu/index_en.php file section.(you can download either 512 partition image or 1GB partition image)

4. Extract the files and put it in My Storage. (Attention: Copy only "o2Beta" folder and default.txt, ext2.tar, haret.exe, log.txt, and zImage to the root of my Storage) Look at attachments.

5. Open "o2Beta" Folder and run haret.exe

6. Wait for it to load and until it say something like reboot, the device will auto reboot so just leave it there.

7. It will boot up Windows Mobile again.

8. Then go to My Storage and click on haret.exe

9. This time it will boot again and after awhile you will see Android logo on the bootscreen.

10. After the Android 2.1 was booted, hold on the "Lock" button for 3-4 sec and

turn off the device. (It will boot up Windows Mobile again, or sometimes you will have to do it manually to turn on the device)

10. Now download and copy the 2d/3d drivers: http://rapidshare.com/#!download|482l3...ate.tar.gz|1480 and the new zImage file http://87.229.73.80/zImage file to root of My Storage and overwrite it.

11. Then run the haret.exe from My Storage (not inside o2Beta folder).

12. This time it will bootup faster than the first time.

13. Yes...Android's dream come true on Omnia i8000

For anyone who wants to connect phone to PC via USB:

1. Download and install New PC Studio. I've dowloaded it from here: http://www.samsungmobile.com.hr/supports/s...areNpsUpdate.do

It's a 1.4.0.IL2 version. It will install USB driver.

2. For accessing your phone (installing apks, file management etc.) I reccomend QtADB

If your phone don't get recognized after connecting to PC, disconnect it and go to Setting->Applications->Development and then disable and again enable USB debugging. Then reconnect to PC.

To manage ext2 partitions from Windows PC and to correctly format your SD card:

To delete ext2 from Windows PC I use EASEUS Partition Master 6.5.2 Home Edition. It is freeware, and seems to work well. Then to format the micro SD I turn on mass storage in samsung settings, connect to PC and use the SD formatting tool 3.0 from sdcard.org. It uses FAT (not FAT32) and 32kb cluster sizes. I do quick format...

If you just want parts and skip the tutorial:

Download beta release here:

http://o2droid.phj.hu/index_en.php

Download 2d/3d drivers and install here:

To install 2d/3d drivers download o2bupdate.tar.gz and place in "My Storage\o2bupdate.tar.gz" , this should stop the phone from freezing every 5 minutes:

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|482l3...ate.tar.gz|1480

http://www.filesonic.com/file/60103983/o2bupdate.tar.gz

Links for more info:

Beta Release Official Website: http://o2droid.phj.hu/index_en.php

Omnia2Droid Official Source Code Page (and report bugs): http://code.google.com/p/omnia2droid/

Almar's Twitter Account (INBEN2SECURITY): http://twitter.com/#!/INB2ENSECURITY

Thread at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=918778

Edited by bobhero

Guest bobhero

played with the 1gb version for 10 minutes so far. I answered a phone call, and received a text. When I when to check the text after the phone call, the phone froze and I had to pull the battery.

Noticed some screen flickering, but I'm happy to have something new to play with!

Also for some reason the default search engine is set to Baidu and the predictive text comes up in korean I think.

EDIT: ok went back in and it lasted 5 minutes before freezing again. I enabled Wifi and used the web browser to make sure it was working. Then I opened marketplace and it locked up, no response from any buttons.

Edited by bobhero

Guest bobhero
Congratulation to dev ;)

Please, what is difference between beta1024 and beta512, thank.

I think the only difference is the size of the partition it creates on your SD card.

Ok, so third time I booted it and it froze again after about 5 minutes. But I discovered it is not freezing fully. This time I connected a headset and turned on the FM radio (which works well btw), and when the phone froze while I was in market place, the FM radio kept playing, even through the screen is frozen and none of the buttons work. The FM radio is still playing 5 minutes later after freeze, so it so not from buffer.

Edited by bobhero

I think the only difference is the size of the partition it creates on your SD card.

Ok, so third time I booted it and it froze again after about 5 minutes. But I discovered it is not freezing fully. This time I connected a headset and turned on the FM radio (which works well btw), and when the phone froze while I was in market place, the FM radio kept playing, even through the screen is frozen and none of the buttons work. The FM radio is still playing 5 minutes later after freeze, so it so not from buffer.

The freezing is because of missing graphic 2d and 3d android drivers (the Samsung does not allowed us to distribute it).

Guest bobhero
The freezing is because of missing graphic 2d and 3d android drivers (the Samsung does not allowed us to distribute it).

Is there anyway I can add it myself or fix it.... maybe some link somewhere ;)

Edit: since the last freeze, when I boot now I get "acore has stopped" force close message non-stop.

How can I wipe my install and reinstall fresh?

Edited by bobhero

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-bloc(179,10)

what should I do?

Maybe the fat partition in the SD card inconsistent - run chkdsk /F , start the install again and read the screen messages - they indicating that there are errors or not.

Guest elbee72
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-bloc(179,10)

what should I do?

pse provide more info on your setup:

- beta512 or beta 1024 used

- which haret did you run (from root or o2beta)

- what partitions did/does your sd card have

Maybe the fat partition in the SD card inconsistent - run chkdsk /F , start the install again and read the screen messages - they indicating that there are errors or not.

I think I'm doing something wrong because it says it can't find a file when installing.

All the files from .zip provided go to:

a) SD

;) 2,4,8gb device memory

c) O2BETA on SD and the other on the internal memory

????

thanks!

I think I'm doing something wrong because it says it can't find a file when installing.

All the files from .zip provided go to:

a) SD

;) 2,4,8gb device memory

c) O2BETA on SD and the other on the internal memory

????

thanks!

The zip file must unpack to the My Storage - there are no other option when using the o2beta install. Manually you can copy the ext2.tar.gz to any ext2/3 partition and adjust the default.txt for the haret.

Guest superck445
pse provide more info on your setup:

- beta512 or beta 1024 used

- which haret did you run (from root or o2beta)

- what partitions did/does your sd card have

i received same error code.

-tried both beta 512 and then beta 1024

-then flashed sd card and tried again

-ran haret.exe from root of my storage everytime

-my mistake, i now see you should do it from o2beta folder!

Edited by superck445

The zip file must unpack to the My Storage - there are no other option when using the o2beta install. Manually you can copy the ext2.tar.gz to any ext2/3 partition and adjust the default.txt for the haret.

okk, I'm dumb XD I putted all files on SD card :)

well now I've installed it fine , I'll feedback soon if you wish ;) (first boot it's stil laggy)

Guest dajlourenco

First off all.. congrats to you all... I cant start.. First... I run haret, but it gets stuck in:

7.683678] kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,10)

That is where it gets stuck... do I have to do something to SD card before run haret..? I tried to put the files downloaded, first in My storage and then run Haret.... and then tried to put them in SD card, and run haret...

In both ways gets stuck in the same place...

Guest bobhero

Ok just to make the instructions as clear as possible, this is what I did:

You must have SD card inserted!

1) extract the zip file (512 OR 1gb) to my storage\ not into any folder, must be in root.

2) goto my storage\o2beta and run haret from there

3) let it cerate partition on your SD card, and then it will reboot your phone.

4) now goto my storage\ and run haret from there, NOT from o2beta folder.

kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,10)

I got the same kernel panic when i deleted the partition, and then let haret recreate..

Edited by bobhero

Guest elbee72

When screen freezes mosty usb still runs, so you can read logcats remote from your pc with adb or ddms.

I played with ddms to read logs and take screencaps. You can make the setup on windows but i did find it easier on ubuntu.

When screen isn't freezed and you want to scan your logcat you can use alogcat app from market or the terminal emulator app to do you own hardcore linux stuff.

Edited by elbee72

Guest aerovolce

First of all, thank you and congratulations devs!

I am excited to try this baby out, however, I'm having issues with trying to create a partition. I got the error : "mounting /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 on /sd1 failed no such device or address" & "Cannot mount the SD ext2 partition" right before the phone rebooted itself.

I tried both 512 and 1024

unpacked everything in zip straight to /mystorage

i ran haret from o2beta

Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thank you again.

other note: I ran haret before on same SD card with success, but for another phone (I don't know if that makes a difference) and I am using a 4gig SDHC card. tried turning off all connections

Edited by aerovolce

I must admit this beta is awesome! it runs better than winmo ;) only problem for me till now it's that it freezes every 5 minutes and I have to remove battery :)

-backlight control not working for me

-battery charging sometimes works sometimes doesn't

thank you! that's a nice way for starting the year!

Guest elbee72
First of all, thank you and congratulations devs!

I am excited to try this baby out, however, I'm having issues with trying to create a partition. I got the error : "mounting /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 on /sd1 failed no such device or address" & "Cannot mount the SD ext2 partition" right before the phone rebooted itself.

I tried both 512 and 1024

unpacked everything in zip straight to /mystorage

i ran haret from o2beta

Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thank you again.

other note: I ran haret before on same SD card with success, but for another phone (I don't know if that makes a difference) and I am using a 4gig SDHC card. tried turning off all connections

you could take a look in the log.txt file on internal storage (contains old and new partition info) and see if a partion was created.

if you used the card earlier an other (ext2/3) partition may exist, don't know how phj's install script reacts to that.

Options I can think off:

- get a new uSD card, has stock one big fat part on it and try again

- using a part mgr (eg. partedmagic) delete other parts and extend fat32 again

- using partedmagic livedistro or other linux distro to copy files from ext2.tar.gz to the ext2 part (!! expert !!)