Commtiva n700 - just purchased!

Guest hucqim80
Many thanks .. will have a go at this when I can get my ADB connection working to this device! With the exception of getting SuperOneClick to root it, this is the first android I have owned that neither my Win or Lin machines can see easily!!

Edit: in fact, I have been trying to get a connection in both Windows and Linux for the past hour .. no joy 'unknown' or 'device not recognised' B)

Rom Mnager claims it has written a new recovery, but I don't think one is there now, the device just hangs if I boot into recovery, there is no sign of a recovery.img anywhere when I browse with Android Mate or RootExplorer!! :)

If you plugged in the usb in windows is there any cdrom appeared? Inside those cdrom are drivers and a working adb with this devices..try to install those drivers first..

There is a rooting guide in xda-dev to make it easier..you need to change the adb inside SOC with the one inside the cdrom..

Easiest way is download the flash_image and cwrecovery.img..copy it to sdcard..move the flash_image with root explorer to the system/bin..start the terminal emulator

su

chmod 4755 /system/bin/flash_image

flash_image recovery /sdcard/cwrecovery.img

done..

to boot into recovery while switch off.. press and hold the vol+ and vol-..press the on button..

or download Anreboot from Market..

P/S: for your information this devices support OTG function..all you need have is "mini usb type A to female usb converter"

working with my 500gb portable harddrive(using external power)..Rii wireless keyboard..thumbdrive..card reader..

Edited by hucqim80

Guest FatherD
If you plugged in the usb in windows is there any cdrom appeared? Inside those cdrom are drivers and a working adb with this devices..try to install those drivers first..

There is a rooting guide in xda-dev to make it easier..you need to change the adb inside SOC with the one inside the cdrom..

Easiest way is download the flash_image and cwrecovery.img..copy it to sdcard..move the flash_image with root explorer to the system/bin..start the terminal emulator

su

chmod 4755 /system/bin/flash_image

flash_image recovery /sdcard/cwrecovery.img

done..

to boot into recovery while switch off.. press and hold the vol+ and vol-..press the on button..

or download Anreboot from Market..

P/S: for your information this devices support OTG function..all you need have is "mini usb type A to female usb converter"

working with my 500gb portable harddrive(using external power)..Rii wireless keyboard..thumbdrive..card reader..

Many thanks... Rooting is not the problem though, that has been done! Getting it to be seen over ADB is, I have tried the device drivers to no avail! I will try some hacking around in the terminal a bit later, but I seem to get write access to the /system already, I can delete stuff, but without getting into recovery I can't seem to write to it, and can't push anything over ADB. Andreboot is not in the Market on this device!! Getting into recovery (original shipped) was not a problem before I used Rom Manager to flash Clockwork, now it cannot be reached any way! How do you think OTG will help?

Guest hucqim80
Many thanks... Rooting is not the problem though, that has been done! Getting it to be seen over ADB is, I have tried the device drivers to no avail! I will try some hacking around in the terminal a bit later, but I seem to get write access to the /system already, I can delete stuff, but without getting into recovery I can't seem to write to it, and can't push anything over ADB. Andreboot is not in the Market on this device!! Getting into recovery (original shipped) was not a problem before I used Rom Manager to flash Clockwork, now it cannot be reached any way! How do you think OTG will help?

You're welcome..replace the adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsb.dll with the one inside the cdrom...then try remount..

adb shell mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock7 /system

to confirm you could push..

adb push su /system/bin

adb shell

su

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

OTG is about other functionality that I found playing with this devices..

For full market just install Market Enabler from Market..

edit not mtdblock3 replace mtdblock7..

Edited by hucqim80

Guest FatherD
You're welcome..replace the adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsb.dll with the one inside the cdrom...then try remount..

adb shell mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

to confirm you could push..

adb push su /system/bin

adb shell

su

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

OTG is about other functionality that I found playing with this devices..

For full market just install Market Enabler from Market..

Excellent stuff ... Followed your link to xda, will give it all a shot tomorrow. B)

EDIT: Excellent advice, the guide over at XDA made things clear about the adb issues, did as you said with the .dlls and the adb.exe, I was then perfectly able to transfer flash_image to /system/bin , then I could use Terminal on the device to flash cwrecovery.img from the sdcard .. superb :)

Edited by FatherD

Guest steviesteve
This seems abit overpriced compared to the Advent tablet.

That would be because this device is more than just a tablet. The SIM card/phone capabilities/Google marketplace etc. With the 3G enabled, Google Maps makes an excellent navigation device. The advent may have a blazing fast processor but is nothing more than a glorified photo/video/web browser. Seriously, if your budget can stretch to this, get it - you wont regret it.

Guest Carbonize
That would be because this device is more than just a tablet. The SIM card/phone capabilities/Google marketplace etc. With the 3G enabled, Google Maps makes an excellent navigation device. The advent may have a blazing fast processor but is nothing more than a glorified photo/video/web browser. Seriously, if your budget can stretch to this, get it - you wont regret it.

Yes but at least you can watch movies on the Vega without them stuttering/constantly buffering.

Guest Frantisek Augusztin

Damn, having a hard time deciding, this device is good and bad at same time :/. My choices are Commtiva FM6 from Amazon (~390€ + postage fees, 1y warranty), Viewpad 7 from a local store (~460€, 2 year warranty) or a Archos 70 (~300-350€). My reason for buying the tablet is reading my ebooks (PDF, epub and mobi) and watching videos (SD content). Now Commtiva and Viewpad have the advantage of official Android Market, Archos 70 has the advantage of better support for video stuff and Market is "hackable" into the device, except that AFAIK i will not see the protected apps.

Can the Commtiva/Viewpad play standard SD videos (<2000kbps) or should i forget it and go the Archos route instead ?

Guest Carbonize

Your reasons sound like mine. I went with the Archos in the end due to the huge amount of video and audio formats it supports along with it's built in uPNP support to let you stream from your computer.

Guest steviesteve
Damn, having a hard time deciding, this device is good and bad at same time :/. My choices are Commtiva FM6 from Amazon (~390€ + postage fees, 1y warranty), Viewpad 7 from a local store (~460€, 2 year warranty) or a Archos 70 (~300-350€). My reason for buying the tablet is reading my ebooks (PDF, epub and mobi) and watching videos (SD content). Now Commtiva and Viewpad have the advantage of official Android Market, Archos 70 has the advantage of better support for video stuff and Market is "hackable" into the device, except that AFAIK i will not see the protected apps.

Can the Commtiva/Viewpad play standard SD videos (<2000kbps) or should i forget it and go the Archos route instead ?

SD content will play just fine and look great, there is no point replaying HD content on a screen with a resolution of 800x480 anyway. Having Android market on the device is fantastic, Im only a casual gamer but can't get enough of Angry Birds, Super Tumble, Fruit Ninja or Word Feud - plus with the 3G sim slot, you can do all this without WiFi.

The Archos is running 2.1 with a promised update from Archos shortly, in my experience of Archos, whilst the hardware is outstanding, the software updates are few and far between and unfortunately almost always end up with bugs.

If you have the Archos already though, enjoy it, it is a great machine for media buffs. The 101 will be better for movie watching and ebooks due to the increased size/resolution.

Yes but at least you can watch movies on the Vega without them stuttering/constantly buffering.

how would you do that when non have been shipped so you ar only guessing about the performance

Guest steviesteve
how would you do that when non have been shipped so you ar only guessing about the performance

You make a good point...

Serisouly though, I had the Toshiba Folio when it launched, it's based on the same hardware as the Vega. The folio was absolute pants despite the beefy innards.

What can I say, I've tried a lot of the tablets that are available and phones and have now settled with the Commtiva. Said it before and I'll say it again, the price/performance ratio is spot on and the form factor perfect for my needs.

Guest steviesteve
Not when it was in reply to the comment about Archos not updating their software often.

And what about the bugs? ;-)

The purpose of the updates are bug squashing rather than introducing Froyo - which it was supposed to have shipped with.

I am sure you are enjoying your purchase and rightly so, the form-factor is amazing. Having experienced Archos before (when I had the original 5" Android Internet Tablet) I decided to go with the Commtiva instead - The device this thread is for.

hucqim80,

I bought the cable below, it doesn't work. It's not an OTG cable! Just do not want others to be cheated by the seller...

OTG does work on the N700, just need the proper OTG cable... I'm still using the one I made myself...

Regards,

Edited by abasir

Guest hucqim80
hucqim80,

I bought the cable below, it doesn't work. It's not an OTG cable! Just do not want others to be cheated by the seller...

OTG does work on the N700, just need the proper OTG cable... I'm still using the one I made myself...

Regards,

Actually I have bought one..and its working..but sometimes need to reboot to make it works again..if there is usb notification on the notification bar just ignore it don't enable anything..just go straight to files browser..

I don't sync directly... not sure how B)

Here's how mine is setup now...

1. I setup the tablet to sync to my goggle calendar.

2. I install Google Calendar Sync on my windows desktop. This will sync my Outlook calendar to my google calendar.

3. I also setup my windows mobile phone to sync to google calendar.

4. With the above setups, all my three devices are always in sync (over-the-air)... sweet :)

5. I encounter zero problem for past one month (since I got the tablet).

Cheers,

Does this tablet sync OK with exchange calendars?

The seller contacted me after my negative feedback and is arranging for replacement cable. Maybe mine was wrongly sent... Anyhow, with my homebrew cable, I never had to reboot and the notification always come up whenever I connect devices via OTG...

Actually I have bought one..and its working..but sometimes need to reboot to make it works again..if there is usb notification on the notification bar just ignore it don't enable anything..just go straight to files browser..

Guest hucqim80
The seller contacted me after my negative feedback and is arranging for replacement cable. Maybe mine was wrongly sent... Anyhow, with my homebrew cable, I never had to reboot and the notification always come up whenever I connect devices via OTG...

Actually, my apad cable is better than the ones from ebay..no need to reboot or anything..those cable from the seller are low quality and not shielded..