Commtiva n700 - just purchased!

Guest ccs-digital
I don't sync directly... not sure how B)

Here's how mine is setup now...

1. I setup the tablet to sync to my goggle calendar.

2. I install Google Calendar Sync on my windows desktop. This will sync my Outlook calendar to my google calendar.

3. I also setup my windows mobile phone to sync to google calendar.

4. With the above setups, all my three devices are always in sync (over-the-air)... sweet :)

5. I encounter zero problem for past one month (since I got the tablet).

Cheers,

Me too. After years of trying to sync calenders across different devices, now my desktop/laptop/netbook (all Windows + Outlook) and my phone (HTC Legend) and tab (Commtiva) are all in sync via Google Calendar :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen a review of the Viewsonic 7" tablet here (comparing against the G-Tab).

I mention this as I believe it's the same hardware as the N700?

Well my question is can the N700 playback flash video? In the review they mention that it can (and it's better at it than the G-Tab!), has anyone managed to get it working/tested it on the N700?

If it does do it, then I may be re-sold and get one :P

Well I couldn't get the flash 10.1 app to install, no error messages just wouldn't do it

Hmm, interesting - I wonder if Paul had any luck, while he still had his?

The N700 & Viewsonic do have the same hardware though, don't they? So surely any issue is software related (and therefore a fix should be possible?).

Hmm, interesting - I wonder if Paul had any luck, while he still had his?

The N700 & Viewsonic do have the same hardware though, don't they? So surely any issue is software related (and therefore a fix should be possible?).

Just spoke to Paul (via Twitter). He seems to think it's Flash Lite they are talking about.

Any owners out there able to provide any info on this? I'd love to know if it works with sites like 4od, FiveForward (or whatever it's called now!). Thanks!

I take it apps like youtube & myplayer just work ok otherwise?

Guest fester61

Information from Linx:

Hi Paul

The N700 does not have Flash Player enabled as the minimum processor requirement for Flash player in Froyo is 800Mhz (1Ghz recommended). For viewing sites such as BBC and other Flash based video sites we suggest installing the SkyFire browser which can be downloaded from the Android Marketplace for free.

Looking at the specs of the Viewsonic Viewpad 7 it won't have Flash Player enabled either unless they are releasing it with a firmware that has not been approved by Google. There is nothing on the Viewsonic website that says it has Flash Player enabled either.

Regards

Neil

LinxAV Technical Support

So it looks like there is no flash, but the guardian review states clearly that flash was the deciding difference between the viewpad 7 and the galaxy tab.?????

Information from Linx:

Hi Paul

The N700 does not have Flash Player enabled as the minimum processor requirement for Flash player in Froyo is 800Mhz (1Ghz recommended). For viewing sites such as BBC and other Flash based video sites we suggest installing the SkyFire browser which can be downloaded from the Android Marketplace for free.

Looking at the specs of the Viewsonic Viewpad 7 it won't have Flash Player enabled either unless they are releasing it with a firmware that has not been approved by Google. There is nothing on the Viewsonic website that says it has Flash Player enabled either.

Regards

Neil

LinxAV Technical Support

So it looks like there is no flash, but the guardian review states clearly that flash was the deciding difference between the viewpad 7 and the galaxy tab.?????

Thanks for the investigation!

It does seem curious, as like you said, the Guardian clearly states flash - maybe they were mistaken as they said Youtube, which could be running via an app that skirts the Flash issue?

Ok convinced they may be referring to Flash Lite but how do I get hold of that?

Had a reply on the Guardian site, look at the comments at the bottom.

They mention YouTube (so no Flash there) and Flash games. Would they work out of the box? Paul seemed to think it came with Flash Lite as standard. Although he returned his of course.

Guest steviesteve
Had a reply on the Guardian site, look at the comments at the bottom.

They mention YouTube (so no Flash there) and Flash games. Would they work out of the box? Paul seemed to think it came with Flash Lite as standard. Although he returned his of course.

Theres no flash on this device. The processor/chipset is not supported by Adobe. We live in hope that some clever programmers may be able to port it in the same way they did for the iPad/iPhone - until then, the youtube app works just fine for most video that pops up.

• 1 month later...
Guest technicalfool
Had mine for 48 hrs and I think it's brilliant for the price. (Tesco £299)

Had an exchange of emails with Linx support and they confirmed that they will be working on an update to Android 3 when it becomes available.

The only downside I've come across is the supplied headset which is about as cheap and nasty as it's possible to get.

Not certain I'd want to carry it around in my pocket, I'll stick with the Dell streak for that, It's a little heavy in the hand not helped by the metal band but it appears to be quite robust. It's mainly for my daughter to use whilst travelling.

Trying to establish optimal settings for video files, lots of DVD's and AVI's / MPG's not found one that plays full screen under hardware acceleration or plays the audio properly under software acceleration. Any suggestions?

I've found using VLC player's convert/save feature and setting it to the "ipod/aac" preset works. I've also only managed to get lucky once with a USB connection after shutting the device down and letting it fire up connected to the computer. When it works it's lovely, all automatically recognised by ADB and selected by eclipse as the run target. I've managed to find an FTP app that'll let me drag apk files over the network, but a USB connection is really something that should work without having to do some kind of magic reboot mumbo jumbo.

Other than that, the lack of a network lock-in and the ability to function as a portable access point is brilliant. I've stuck the PAYG Three SIM from the Racer into the tablet, turned £5 of balance into a monthly Internet top-up and I've got 2GB to play with for 30 days. The screen is capacitive and seems to recognise up to two touch points, so makes for a much more finger-friendly device than the cheaper resistive droids out there. This also means you can't just use your old DS stylus or the end of a lighter to point at the screen, but you get pinch-to-zoom recognised in all of Google's apps and many of the rest. There also seems to be access to much more of the market compared to what's available on the little ZTE Racer, with some apps evidently not appearing unless you have multi-touch or a screen larger than QVGA. The processor, even if not good enough for Flash, seems good enough for Angry Birds. At least, it drops many less frames than the Racer does while there's a lot of blocks moving around and an advert trying to load. I don't have to turn the sound off to get good gameplay any more. If I can find a foldable Bluetooth keyboard+trackpad that works with it, the RDP/VNC apps on a screen this size are beginning to seem useful.

Design-wise it's sturdy. Metal with plastic faces. The back seems a little flexible, but the touch screen itself seems strong enough to withstand some determined fondling and you get a carrying wallet with the thing anyway so the weaker back panel isn't a huge problem. What can be is the complete lack of texture on the device. As a completely flat slate, it's obvious which fruit-based manufacturer's products this device is aping, but they're inheriting some of the bad points of that design too. It's all very nice to have four elegantly designed backlit logos signifying where you should put your finger for the menu, home screen, search function or back function, but outside with the maps application at night even with a low screen brightness setting, having the button lights fade out will leave you groping for just about every option except the right one. It's also easy for your finger to end up wandering from screen territory into button territory with no tactile difference between the two areas to tell you where to stop. Without the wallet, you'll fit it in a large coat pocket. With, it's probably better in a back pack. If anybody has any solutions for making an cheapy smartphone act like a remote headset/dial device for another droid, I'm all ears.

I've had a week to play with it. Is it flawless? No. Are there better tablets? Probably. Can you buy a tablet with this level of functionality at this price? Probably not. Overall I'm fairly chuffed, and if Linx are actively supporting the device, even better.

Edited by technicalfool

Guest FatherD
I've found using VLC player's convert/save feature and setting it to the "ipod/aac" preset works. I've also only managed to get lucky once with a USB connection after shutting the device down and letting it fire up connected to the computer. When it works it's lovely, all automatically recognised by ADB and selected by eclipse as the run target. I've managed to find an FTP app that'll let me drag apk files over the network, but a USB connection is really something that should work without having to do some kind of magic reboot mumbo jumbo.

Other than that, the lack of a network lock-in and the ability to function as a portable access point is brilliant. I've stuck the PAYG Three SIM from the Racer into the tablet, turned £5 of balance into a monthly Internet top-up and I've got 2GB to play with for 30 days. The screen is capacitive and seems to recognise up to two touch points, so makes for a much more finger-friendly device than the cheaper resistive droids out there. This also means you can't just use your old DS stylus or the end of a lighter to point at the screen, but you get pinch-to-zoom recognised in all of Google's apps and many of the rest. There also seems to be access to much more of the market compared to what's available on the little ZTE Racer, with some apps evidently not appearing unless you have multi-touch or a screen larger than QVGA. The processor, even if not good enough for Flash, seems good enough for Angry Birds. At least, it drops many less frames than the Racer does while there's a lot of blocks moving around and an advert trying to load. I don't have to turn the sound off to get good gameplay any more. If I can find a foldable Bluetooth keyboard+trackpad that works with it, the RDP/VNC apps on a screen this size are beginning to seem useful.

Design-wise it's sturdy. Metal with plastic faces. The back seems a little flexible, but the touch screen itself seems strong enough to withstand some determined fondling and you get a carrying wallet with the thing anyway so the weaker back panel isn't a huge problem. What can be is the complete lack of texture on the device. As a completely flat slate, it's obvious which fruit-based manufacturer's products this device is aping, but they're inheriting some of the bad points of that design too. It's all very nice to have four elegantly designed backlit logos signifying where you should put your finger for the menu, home screen, search function or back function, but outside with the maps application at night even with a low screen brightness setting, having the button lights fade out will leave you groping for just about every option except the right one. It's also easy for your finger to end up wandering from screen territory into button territory with no tactile difference between the two areas to tell you where to stop. Without the wallet, you'll fit it in a large coat pocket. With, it's probably better in a back pack. If anybody has any solutions for making an cheapy smartphone act like a remote headset/dial device for another droid, I'm all ears.

I've had a week to play with it. Is it flawless? No. Are there better tablets? Probably. Can you buy a tablet with this level of functionality at this price? Probably not. Overall I'm fairly chuffed, and if Linx are actively supporting the device, even better.

All excellent points .. I did toy around with 'swiftp' for a while, but 'File Expert' from the market supports samba shares beautifully over your wifi .. superb stuff!

• 6 months later...
Guest Oldbarzo

Hi

just to resurrect this thread for a moment. Does anyone know of any other Roms (i.e. CM7 etc) that are available for this Slate.

I am currently running Paul's r1 mod but I would like to get something like CM which allows overclocking. I am rooted and have

CW recovery installed. Any help greatly appreciated.

Stransky

(Douglas)