[ROM] [eclair] French Fries RLS5 [2010-11-18]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest John Mills

Hi Kallt_Kaffe,

this looks to be a great ROM but why don't you add the HW_UI as default? Why would anyone not want their interface hardware accelerated? Would there be some issues with adding this by default like much higher battery drain?

Cheers

Guest Afrodude
Hi Kallt_Kaffe,

this looks to be a great ROM but why don't you add the HW_UI as default? Why would anyone not want their interface hardware accelerated? Would there be some issues with adding this by default like much higher battery drain?

Cheers

I always disable this in the Modaco ROM as it noticeably slows down the phone.

Guest Freekers

Im unsure what to do right now, flash with or without HW_UI

What's exactly the difference ? Without HW_UI, will I suffer performance loss in games ?

Thanks

Edited by Freekers

Guest oh!dougal
Im unsure what to do right now, flash with our without HW_UI

What's exactly the difference ? Without HW_UI, will I suffer performance loss in games ?

Thanks

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but to remove the 'Acceleration', all you'd have to do is reflash the main rom. Shouldn't be any need to wipe anything ...

Try it and decide for yourself?

Edited by oh!dougal

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but to remove the 'Acceleration', all you'd have to do is reflash the main rom. Shouldn't be any need to wipe anything ...

As long as you've got superuser (and you do on this rom) all you have to do is edit the following line in the file /system/build.prop

debug.sf.hw=0

0= hardware acceleration disable, 1=hardware acceleration enable.

So use something like root Explorer, navigate to /system and find file build.prop, remount as R/W and edit the file as above and save.

Finally just do a reboot to affect the change, then once rebooted you can go back and open the file with your text editor to make sure the change has taken.

Guest kallt_kaffe

That's 100% correct and the rumours about slowdowns is what kept me from making it default. I haven't had time to do any real comparing myself, but if anyone does some serious comparing, please share the results.

Guest kallt_kaffe
As long as you've got superuser (and you do on this rom) all you have to do is edit the following line in the file /system/build.prop

debug.sf.hw=0

0= hardware acceleration disable, 1=hardware acceleration enable.

So use something like root Explorer, navigate to /system and find file build.prop, remount as R/W and edit the file as above and save.

Finally just do a reboot to affect the change, then once rebooted you can go back and open the file with your text editor to make sure the change has taken.

Yes, but the HW UI addon also replaces gralloc.msm7k.so with a non-stock version (that's the "glitch-fix" btw) so I'd recommend a full reflash, but no wipe to disable it.

Guest Simon O
That's 100% correct and the rumours about slowdowns is what kept me from making it default. I haven't had time to do any real comparing myself, but if anyone does some serious comparing, please share the results.

The only slowdown I've experienced with HW enabled is with the Android Launcher. If I use another launcher like LauncherPro or ADW then I experience no slowdown at all.

Guest Freekers

Thanks for the quick and detailed replies guys (oh!dougal, xzyk, kallt_kaffe and fibblesan), really appreciate it !

One more question. I am currently running the MoDaCo R4 ROM with A2SD. When I make a backup in ClockWork, is my A2SD partition also being backupped ? Else I don't know how to backup it, since Windows doesn't see my ext2 partition.

Backupping just to be on the safe side, whenever I decide to switch back.

Thanks

Guest malvern88

hi, i have a problem with this rom,i installed the desire theme(i think its also called espresso framework) and the graphics have gone all wracked up.there is a green rectangle box with a cross at the top of the screen on the lockscreen. it didn't look like that with orange base rom (modaco rom and sabs rom). also tried the new rom on villianrom and it had the same issue but the old one didn't. wondered if anyone had spotted this?

Thanks for the quick and detailed replies guys (oh!dougal, xzyk, kallt_kaffe and fibblesan), really appreciate it !

One more question. I am currently running the MoDaCo R4 ROM with A2SD. When I make a backup in ClockWork, is my A2SD partition also being backupped ? Else I don't know how to backup it, since Windows doesn't see my ext2 partition.

Backupping just to be on the safe side, whenever I decide to switch back.

Thanks

I just did a Clockwork backup prior to wiping and installing Froyo - it does appear to autumatically backup your SD card partition - do a full Ti backup as well though, just to be sure :rolleyes:.

Guest Freekers
I just did a Clockwork backup prior to wiping and installing Froyo - it does appear to autumatically backup your SD card partition - do a full Ti backup as well though, just to be sure :rolleyes:.

Thanks for your reply. Does it backup the ext2 a2sd partition as well ?

Thanks

Guest NinjaChips
hi, i have a problem with this rom,i installed the desire theme(i think its also called espresso framework) and the graphics have gone all wracked up.there is a green rectangle box with a cross at the top of the screen on the lockscreen. it didn't look like that with orange base rom (modaco rom and sabs rom). also tried the new rom on villianrom and it had the same issue but the old one didn't. wondered if anyone had spotted this?

I had the same thing with the french fries rom: green rectangle with a cross on the lockscreen and on the calendar. so i just rolled back to using the stock theme.

Guest heroin11

Is anyone else having problems with multi touch in the browser with this rom. I've tried Dolphin Browser HD as well and it doesn't work in that either. Works fine in gallery etc but just none of the browsers, yet it worked in every other rom I've tried

Is anyone else having problems with multi touch in the browser with this rom. I've tried Dolphin Browser HD as well and it doesn't work in that either. Works fine in gallery etc but just none of the browsers, yet it worked in every other rom I've tried

Same problem for me!

Apart from that, I'm really liking this ROM.

Guest buntoid

Same with me too, apart from Opera Mobile, which is a bit strange because I tried the BaldeVillain rom before this one, and it was the other way round i.e all the other browsers had multi-touch but Opera Mobile didn't.

Hi,

Just wanted to say great ROM, already noticed a good speed improvement over the last ROM I was using (Seb's r4 - which served me well).

Just wanted to know if anyone else is having problems with video streaming, more specifically with the tvcatchup.com mobile site.

In Sebs R4 I could play both the HQ and LQ streams no problem with the stock browser.

With this rom I'm getting 'Cannot play this video' error messages. Any ideas what has changed.

Video's stream via rtsp on vlc so I know the site is working ok. Youtube works though it probably uses a different protocol.

Its not a deal breaker for me at the moment so I'm happy to stick with the ROM as It seems snappy and I like having A2SD (I've gone from 140MB used to 88MB!).

Build: Factory reset, wiped cache, fresh install, HW_UI applied, NO overclock, VM Heap 32 > 48, Apps restored via Ti. Quadrant = 415. :rolleyes:

Cheers - keep up the great work!!!!!

Fez

Edited by joefez

Guest minz007

hi

i think this is a great rom :rolleyes:

however im getting random reboots and im not sure why

i wiped everything before installing the rom

ive only used the main rom (no addons)

and im using a2sd with ext3

thanks for any help

Guest Hopelessness

Nice ROM so far, couple of niggles though.

1. No multitouch as far as I can tell

2. Lockscreen takes about a second to appear after power button has been pressed

3. Overclocking is worse than my HTC Hero, ie lock ups at 691MHz when the Hero would be happy at 748MHz (not necessarily the ROM, but still a bummer)

Edited by Hopelessness

Nice ROM so far, couple of niggles though.

1. No multitouch as far as I can tell

2. Lockscreen takes about a second to appear after power button has been pressed

3. Overclocking is worse than my HTC Hero, ie lock ups at 691MHz when the Hero would be happy at 748MHz (not necessarily the ROM, but still a bummer)

Heh, different kind of processor, so you can't compare the two in OCing!