SF Compatible Wired Headset Found

Guest oh!dougal

Guest oh!dougal

I have purchased via eBay (for well under five pounds inc UK delivery) a NOKIA AD-57 headset (following a tipoff on the Pulse forum here).

It does seem to work with the Orange San Francisco.

There's a 4-segment plug that fits the SF socket nicely.

It has a cable to a small (2 big sugarcubes?) box. (The cables are flexy, not stiff.)

That box has

- a clip to attach it to clothing

- a microphone

- a socket for a standard 3.5 mm 3-segment headphone plug

- a push switch (nice and easily located by touch, button is the whole top surface, you'd press it towards your body - no ergonomic criticism there!)

A set of Nokia earbuds was included, but the point of the thing is to allow you to use your favourite (no microphone) hifi earphones.

Like I said, it seems to work.

Pressing the button does not change the audio quality (as with iPhone headsets) - BUT a "long press" on the button brings up the music player (from Home screen for example). This is the (stock rom) behaviour some people have accidentally provoked by fiddling with a plug that does not fit the SF nicely!

When the phone is (really, truly) asleep, pressing the button does NOT wake it.

On a strong FM station, with the cable(s) loose fully uncoiled, audio was fine (even with my old Bose active speakers as the 'earphones').

When the phone rings (it rings at the phone, not in your ear) pressing the button answers the call. Another press hangs up. The microphone works during the call.

If you are looking for a way to use decent earphones, or you've wrecked the headset that came with the phone, this is well worth the few quid it cost me.

If anyone was looking even for a pre-wired 4-segment plug that fits the SF nicely (so they could attempt to build an N1-style controller - I have no idea how the SF would take to it), then even for the plug it might be worthwhile.

Edited by oh!dougal

Nice one. How close is the microphone to the mouth. Same as standard?

Nice find! Sounds the same as the hands free you got with the LG Viewty.

The mic is wherever you clip it :rolleyes:.

Guest mattysk

Fantastic - thanks so much for posting this. Definitely worth a few quid!

One small question, when you say "When the phone is (really, truly) asleep, pressing the button does NOT wake it" what does that mean? Is this when you press the power button and the phone powers down but still recieves calls? I'm guessing that as the call comes in, that wakes it enough to press the button to answer.

sorry if that's a dumb question.

Guest oh!dougal

A couple of things I should have said.

The price was well under £5 total. For a brand new item.

Packaging was basic, small poly bags inside a padded postal envelope.

Though the item has (discreet) Nokia XpressMusic branding, I've no idea if its ever been in Nokia's hands (but I'm sure it works exactly like one you might get at a higher price from a Nokia agent.)

The cable from the 4-segment (SF) plug to the clip-mic-switch box is about 50cm long. Generous but not embarrassing.

I have no idea as to the SF compatibility of other Nokia headsets. This specific one, the AD-57 works.

Guest oh!dougal
Fantastic - thanks so much for posting this. Definitely worth a few quid!

One small question, when you say "When the phone is (really, truly) asleep, pressing the button does NOT wake it" what does that mean? Is this when you press the power button and the phone powers down but still recieves calls? I'm guessing that as the call comes in, that wakes it enough to press the button to answer.

sorry if that's a dumb question.

Yes the incoming call wakes the phone.

Then you can answer by pressing the clip-on switch (just once), talk to the caller, and then give the button another press to end the call.

When the phone is asleep, you can't wake it by just pressing the headset button - even if you thought from the 7k_handset.kl file that you would. It doesn't wake the phone!!

With the SF, the touch screen seems to be 'live' during a headset call --- I haven't tried to upset it simulating in-pocket action. That's about the phone (and its proximity sensor), not the headset. As far as the SF is concerned, its using its own headset -- there's even a little pair of headphones appears in the notification bar at the top of the screen ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest mattysk

again thanks for the advice. this is pretty much exactly what I'd been looking for. The only thing it lacks is that the ringer comes from the phone and not through the headphones. Just need to make sure its on vibrate if I'm cranking up the volume!

Going to order a pair and this saves me going down the BlueTooth route which would have annoyed me!

thanks again for posting.

Guest mattysk
what makes this different from the stock earphones that come with the SF?

Its the Mic bit. Basically you can answer/end calls using the button and talk to the other person when they call. You can plug any headset into it including the stock ones that come with the SF

Pretty useful if you are walking outside in the cold, listening to music and someone calls! Brrrr!

Edited by mattysk

Guest mattysk
the headset from my Samsung Omnia II (GT-I800) works to !

thanks for letting us know. If someone calls, do you hear the ring through the headphones or from the phone? Do the headphones have a model number?

Guest flopyro
thanks for letting us know. If someone calls, do you hear the ring through the headphones or from the phone? Do the headphones have a model number?

i tryed them only once..

i could hear the ring bouth on phone and in the headphones,

the model number, i donno(i'm at work now), but today when i will arrive home, i will post a picture with the model.

and the button si working to , for answer/end call.

i like touse because you have the volume there to, no need to take the phone out of your poket to adjust it.

Edited by flopyro

Guest mattysk
i tryed them only once..

i could hear the ring bouth on phone and in the headphones,

the model number, i donno(i'm at work now), but today when i will arrive home, i will post a picture with the model.

and the button si working to , for answer/end call.

i like touse because you have the volume there to, no need to take the phone out of your poket to adjust it.

hmmm - they sound very interesting...

Guest oh!dougal
Its the Mic bit. Basically you can answer/end calls using the button and talk to the other person when they call. You can plug any headset into it including the stock ones that come with the SF

Nearly!

You can plug standard hifi headphones/earphones/earbuds into the little switch box (but NOT a headset with microphone).

Thus you can use ones that you like the sound from, ones that fit your ear better, or more comfortably, ones that exclude external noises or whatever.

It becomes open to your choice.

If you use hifi/walkman/iPod earphones directly into the phone then you have to disconnect them to talk on the phone!

Using the little box you don't.

You have the mic on the little box and your earphones for the call.

The standard headset forces you to use the standard earphones.

And the mic/switch doesn't have a clip, so you have to follow the wire to find it to answer a call, and then hope the mic doesn't end up too far away for talking. The clip is a good thing (but you don't have to use it).

The big point is that it allows you to use your choice of earphones or headphones while appearing to the phone to be the standard headset.

That's actually quite rare

You can see several other threads for details of what does NOT work.

Importantly iPhone headsets (and thus compatibles) do NOT work properly.

Oh, and they are silly cheap as well ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest oh!dougal
Thanks. This is ALMOST what I've been looking for.

If anyone finds one which also has media player controls (play/pause & skip) then let us all know.

If anyone discovers that the SF responds to ANY such media player controls ... I hope they will let us all know!

The Nexus 1 has such controls (and somewhere on here there is a link explaining what resistances are switched in to provide the signalling to the phone).

However, I have NEVER seen anyone claim that the SF is set up to test for those resistances being presented to it.

Before the SF would respond to such signals, it would need the hardware to detect the resistance, and the software to act appropriately on the signals from the hardware.

Has anyone ever seen any suggestion that the SF is equipped in this way?

Getting a Sky+ remote control will not turn your ordinary Sky box into a Sky+ box. ("Why doesn't the Pause button work?")

Guest flopyro

This is the headset i was talking about.

they dont have any serial number, or model number writen on them.

but it's a standard Samsung Omnia II (GT-I8000) headset

post-149990-1290090225_thumb.jpg

post-149990-1290090246_thumb.jpg

Guest mattysk

thanks for posting. I already ordered the NOKIA adapter before you'd originally posted. It only rings at the phone (not in the headphones) and doesn't have a volume control. I'll see if that bothers me before hunting this down.

cheers

Guest oh!dougal

I suspect that "ringing at the earphone" isn't going to be due to the headset hardware.

More likely its a software change of some sort.

See how you go with the Nokia, and save me from being the only one banging on about how straightforward (and cheap) it is!