HOW TO : Converting MP3`s to WAV`s

Guest Deemon

:!:

lots of people ask this question....here is my very simple and FREE way of doing it.

Go here:-

www.oldversion.com

Get v1.50 of winamp and install it (dont overwrite any newer versions you might have)

Open up winamp

right click to bring up the menu.

Options - Preferences - Output

Change the output device to .WAV file output (silent)

Now apply that. Press OK

Now when ever you play(or drag on to) an MP3 using this version of winamp a WAV copy of the file will be saved to your desktop. (Note you wont hear the mp3 being played)

takes 2 minutes to set up(once its set up its setup for good) and then only 2 seconds to convert.

hope that helps

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

Tragically, that's EXACTLY the kind of information I'd like to have been able to give out from 156. I did commend a similar solution downloaded from www.Tucows.com... and then realised that I was breaking the rules. Orange NEEDS a list of "unofficial but reliable" sites it can commend... but that requires techies who are PC literate and thus know enough to make sensible "off the top of their head" suggestions. They're currently in a minority, and those they have don't stay long.

Guest spacecowboy6982

Ok - i knew bout this along time ago and its absolutly bloody hopeless. Unless u've got a 10 second clip of some tune you want as a ringtone, u'll b loading a 50MB monster on 2 ure fone cos it multiplies the mp3 100 x its orginal size. So, n e 1 got a music editor they know of lol ??

Guest HelloDave

Sound Recorder - it's basic but can convert wavs to lower sample rates (ie smaller files) and chop up files too. It comes as standard with just about every version of windows since the dawn of time, and should be lurking in your accessories menu. Only problem with it is it loads up whole files at once, so anything over 20mb or so and you'll be waiting a while for it to load!

One alternative if you want something a bit more advanced is GoldWave, which is shareware and can be found at www.goldwave.com

Guest bobroberts

What you really need is a Freeware sound editor to edit and convert your files. I had a nosey around and found this little fellow which seems both simple but powerful. which is nice. It's available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

It's called Audacity and can be found here

Audacity Sound Editor

the website reads...

Audacity is a free audio editor. You can record sounds, play sounds, import and export WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files, and more. Use it to edit your sounds using Cut, Copy and Paste (with unlimited Undo), mix tracks together, or apply effects to your recordings. It also has a built-in amplitude envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications. Built-in effects include Bass Boost, Wahwah, and Noise Removal, and it also supports VST plug-in effects.

hope people find this useful

bobroberts

Ok - i knew bout this along time ago and its absolutly bloody hopeless. Unless u've got a 10 second clip of some tune you want as a ringtone, u'll b loading a 50MB monster on 2 ure fone cos it multiplies the mp3 100 x its orginal size. So, n e 1 got a music editor they know of lol ??

Actually its not useless.. its a very simple way of converting mp3s to wavs...thats all...if you only have small mp3s then its fine...obviously for larger files youll need to resample them and crop then down....

Use cool edit pro or something similar to chop the files up

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clifhanger_uk

This is good info, in case anyone is interested I use a freeware converter that is very easy to use and great, does lots of formats. Found it from another article on this site.. Converted all my MP3's to WMA for my spv.

www.dbpoweramp.com

Guest aiwapro

Another great program is Creative WaveStudio. It comes will all SoundBlaster Soundcards I think. I'll put it on my website server later so everyone can download it.

It is very easy to use. It's a high quality program. It allows you to change the volume of your music files too. You can chop music just by cutting/copyin it from one file, and and pasting it in a new one by it self. It converts mp3 to wave files too. When you save your work, you can save it in just about any bitrate or type you want.

Now that I have the software to do all of this, my questions are:

What bitrate or compression do I save these files in?

Im have the option to save them in "PCM" compression, and I heard that is what you're suppose to you, but what bitrate do I use? What bit, 16 or 8, mono or stereo?

...And one more thing, how long should I make the ringtones, I don't want to take up a ton of space.

Guest aiwapro

Ok, I have that done.

Next, how do I put them on the phone? I know I have to use Active Sync, but I don't know where on the phone to put it, and how do I retrieve these tones with the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SirGaz
mid file are not beeing supported for ringtones ?

Only wav files ?

Yes, that's right. Only wav files are supported for ringtones. A lot of people have complained at this but I can't see too much of a problem, there are millions of MP3s out there and it's fairly simple to convert them to wav, so the possibilities are endless. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest midnight

oh, and why version 1.5 of winamp????

i've used this process for years to convert mod and xm files to wav, and as far as i know, every version of winamp does this (using v2.81 now, and that works great) erm, except maybe winamp3, which is the devil in disguise (even that may do it, dunno tho, terrible program, gimme version 2 anyday)

Guest midnight

oh, and as for midi, of course its supported for ringtones, only problem is, its midi0 which is not polyphonic (no matter how many people say 'but i've got polyphonic ringtones to work', they havent cos the phone doesnt support midi1 or midi2)

oh, one final point, i use cooledit pro, easily the best sound editor out there, cheap aswell (yep, i know it aint free, just thought i'd mention what i use for my keypad speech and ringtones :wink:)

Guest EMGenius

point of interest, if you have nero it has a wave editor in it which you can use to convert mp3's to wav's and you can mess with the quality and even ad soem effects if you want, (thought they are limited and a little pointles!!)

not worth buying nero for obviously, but if you already have it then it would save you installing something else. Personally i am wary of freeware, coz it usually means spyware!!

I have nero 5.5.9.13 - dont know if any of the previous versions have this though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Machineman

I always use shuffler 3 to convert these files.

It is not downloadeble anymore on the net (at least I can not find it anymore) but post it here. A small program and free to use.

Hope it is usefull 4 ya all.

2 files DLded than extract the 1st and the file is complete again (archive).

Just rename the *.ren to *.exe (becouse of uploading here)

CU

SHUFFLER-MUSIC-CONVERTER-R2.part2.rar

SHUFFLER-MUSIC-CONVERTER-R2.part1.rar