OTA update with unlocked boot

Guest akira.pwr

Guest akira.pwr

After several restore to fw erd79 and stock recovery for update to frg79 with recovery, I had a surprise yesterday, after reboot I had a message about a system update and after flash I have frg83d, I have unlocked bootloader, is it normal?

Edited by akira.pwr

Guest Batkoto
I have a problem and no one tells me something about that:

I want to update my device from frg83 to frg83d, I already flashed stock recovery, but I'm not good to unroot my device (bootloader unlocked) rooted with universal androot, this app tells me i'm not root, other apps ask me permissions, but I have SU icon, even after hard reset.

When I try to flash stock frg83, the error is signed verification failed, if I try to update to frg83d, the error is status7.

So, following all guide I've found, I don't understand where is the problem or how can I solve it...

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Maybe you should check here first how to get to FRF91 or FRG83 and then update to FRG83D using "FRG83D from FRF91" or "FRG83D from FRG83"

Guest akira.pwr

After several restore to fw erd79 and stock recovery for update to frg79 with recovery, I had a surprise yesterday, after reboot I had a message about a system update and after flash I have frg83d, I have unlocked bootloader, is it normal?

Edited by akira.pwr

Guest crawler9

Not sure I know what you're asking, but what I'm getting is this: You restored to ERD79 intending to update to a newer ROM. When you rebooted, you were prompted to update to FRG83D which you did, and your bootloader is still unlocked.

Now... nothing about this seems abnormal. Your bootloader, once unlocked, will always be unlocked even if everything else is stock. It is also completely normal to receive an OTA update to the newest ROM available from Google, in this case, FRG83D. I hope that answers whatever you were asking, but your question wasn't really clear.

Guest akira.pwr
Not sure I know what you're asking, but what I'm getting is this: You restored to ERD79 intending to update to a newer ROM. When you rebooted, you were prompted to update to FRG83D which you did, and your bootloader is still unlocked.

Now... nothing about this seems abnormal. Your bootloader, once unlocked, will always be unlocked even if everything else is stock. It is also completely normal to receive an OTA update to the newest ROM available from Google, in this case, FRG83D. I hope that answers whatever you were asking, but your question wasn't really clear.

Sorry, I meant if it's normal to receive an OTA update with unlocked boot, I have read somewhere, if you have unlocked boot, you can only update with recovery but not with OTA.

Maybe I misunderstood...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest crawler9
Sorry, I meant if it's normal to receive an OTA update with unlocked boot, I have read somewhere, if you have unlocked boot, you can only update with recovery but not with OTA.

Maybe I misunderstood...

An unlocked bootloader has no effect on your ability to receive OTA updates. If you have both a stock rom and stock recovery image, you can and will receive OTA updates from Google.

Edited by crawler9