Hacking the Vega? Post your progress!

Guest PaulOBrien

Interesting... i've been looking at the update zip on myadventvega.co.uk (which is applied via the system menus) and it's not signed.

Hacking this thing will be extremely easy. B)

P

Funtime!

Gonna dump the stock image and compare to 1.02 / 1.03, then we know if we really need to fully wipe or can do a differential update...

I predict much vega hackiness tomorrow!

P

Guest swarrans

I'm afraid you experts are likely to get a rush of noobs like me who have just bought a Vega but have no experience of Android or hacking - however, you seem a friendly bunch so I'll risk a question or two!

1. Is there a single place (here?!) that a noob can read up on things like rooting etc - it looks like I "should" do it but the last thing I want to do is to brick my new toy!

2. Will someone (Paul) end up producing a single update that will add most of the things I'm likely to want (like the Apps Library) with instructions so that even I can put it on my device.

I guess the safest thing I can do (when I get my Vega tomorrow hopefully) is to run it completely stock until I understand what my questions even mean!

Thanks for your patience

Simon

Guest Dogeron
I'm afraid you experts are likely to get a rush of noobs like me who have just bought a Vega but have no experience of Android or hacking - however, you seem a friendly bunch so I'll risk a question or two!

1. Is there a single place (here?!) that a noob can read up on things like rooting etc - it looks like I "should" do it but the last thing I want to do is to brick my new toy!

2. Will someone (Paul) end up producing a single update that will add most of the things I'm likely to want (like the Apps Library) with instructions so that even I can put it on my device.

I guess the safest thing I can do (when I get my Vega tomorrow hopefully) is to run it completely stock until I understand what my questions even mean!

Thanks for your patience

Simon

Simon,

I've not found a single "Howto" thread as you describe.

The first step to truly owning the device you bought is obtaining root access and from their everything is possible. If you read back through the threads Paul has already achieved this.

Looking at the comments already posted by Paul, I think it unlikely that you will brick this device, though I would strongly advise you to wait until Paul produces a device specific Howto guide.

He is also likely (if you ask very nicely) to produce a video showing how easy it is/isn't.

For an example I would suggest you take a look at the Paul's first post in this San Francisco thread.. For information it took me precisely 3 hours from getting my San Francisco home to having it unlocked, rooted and loading a Modaco custom rom - and that was my first attempt at hacking anything.

Rest assured when tell you that these guys (and girls) are good.

Dog.

Edited by Dogeron

Guest Grainsalt

Fellow "Shadow" member here. I really look forward to getting this device and doing all magical the things you guys talk about, i wouldn't know a "sideload" from camel to be honest but sounds fun if there could possibly be a "howto" guide for us newbs. Pretty please with cherry's ontop?

Guest SilentMobius
Fellow "Shadow" member here. I really look forward to getting this device and doing all magical the things you guys talk about, i wouldn't know a "sideload" from camel to be honest but sounds fun if there could possibly be a "howto" guide for us newbs. Pretty please with cherry's ontop?

There really isn't one, just read all the threads, search around, and ask specific questions.

"Sideload" is just a colloquial term that means "install an application using non-standard means" E.G. If the _usual_ way to install an app on an Android device was through one of the many Market/App Store applications then copying the apk for the application over to the device's storage and installing by clicking on the apk in a file manager. That would be called "sideloading"

Guest swarrans
Simon,

I've not found a single "Howto" thread as you describe.

The first step to truly owning the device you bought is obtaining root access and from their everything is possible. If you read back through the threads Paul has already achieved this.

Looking at the comments already posted by Paul, I think it unlikely that you will brick this device, though I would strongly advise you to wait until Paul produces a device specific Howto guide.

He is also likely (if you ask very nicely) to produce a video showing how easy it is/isn't.

For an example I would suggest you take a look at the Paul's first post in this San Francisco thread.. For information it took me precisely 3 hours from getting my San Francisco home to having it unlocked, rooted and loading a Modaco custom rom - and that was my first attempt at hacking anything.

Rest assured when tell you that these guys (and girls) are good.

Dog.

Many thanks Dog - great review Paul did of the San Francisco there.

I'll wait for Paul's How To for the Vega!....

Simon

Alrighty, it showed up in ADB on my Mac with no tweaking which is handy! Weirdly ADB drops when the device goes in 'standby'.

Already permarooted with VISIONary, i've dumped the stock MTD partitions to the SDcard, except for /system, which weirdly won't dump. I've tar-gz'd that instead.

I'm gonna have a poke around then flash the 1.02 update, dump again and do a file comparison with stock to see if the full-flash is really necessary to fix the launcher or if it's just a file or two.

Device mountpoints:

rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock3 /system yaffs2 ro,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock0 /misc yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:25 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,
llow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:25 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,
llow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0[/code]

OK, analysis...

Shipped ROM:

ro.build.display.id=harmony-eng 2.2 FRF91 20101025.183652 test-keys
ro.build.date.utc=1288003816[/code] 1.02 update:
[code]ro.build.display.id=harmony 2.2 FRF91 20101025.183652
ro.build.date.utc=1288003816
NVidia Tegra online image:
ro.build.display.id=harmony-eng 2.2 FRF91 20101105.183900 test-keys
ro.build.date.utc=1288985738[/code]

So... the Nvidia online image is newer (we may be able to pull some parts from that at a later date), but intriguingly, the build date for the 1.02 is the same as shipping!

Now to do a DeltaWalker difference analysis to see what the ACTUAL changes are! B)

Guest daniel.weck

Yaffs2, ideal for NAND flash. Why didn't Samsung use this instead of their so-called RFS (Robust File System) ? B)

No need for proprietary filesystem.

Device mountpoints:

rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0

none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/mtdblock3 /system yaffs2 ro,relatime 0 0

/dev/block/mtdblock6 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0

/dev/block/mtdblock4 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0

/dev/block/mtdblock0 /misc yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:25 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,

/dev/block/vold/179:25 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,

tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

Edited by daniel.weck

Guest SilentMobius
Alrighty, it showed up in ADB on my Mac with no tweaking which is handy! Weirdly ADB drops when the device goes in 'standby'.

Folio 100 was the same Paul, I'm guessing the lack of 3g means the Tegra2 uses a much deeper standby level, morelike hibernate. The folio had trouble comming out of hibernate, sometimes taking up to 5 sec. No sign of that on the Vega I hope?

Changes in 1.02...

Changed / Updated

/system/build.prop
/system/app/Browser.apk
/system/app/Email.apk
/system/app/Phone.apk
/system/app/Settings.apk
/system/app/SetupWizard.apk
/system/app/iLauncher2.apk
/system/bin/nvrm_daemon
/system/etc/Dix/TabletCompanion.msi
/system/etc/notice.html.gz
/system/etc/shuttle_ins.sh
/system/framework/*.jar (except core / ext)
/system/lib/wlan/ar6000.ko
/system/lib/wlan_ar6002/ar6000.ko[/code] [b]Removed[/b]
[code]/system/app/SpeechRecorder.apk
/system/bin/cp
/system/bin/cut
Added
/system/etc/bluez/bluecore6.psr
/system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk [b][color=red](!)[/color][/b][/code]

Intriguing huh?

So 1.02 is definitely a worthy update, with updates to a number of apps, an updated wireless driver (could signify an updated kernel) and the intriguing 'Shuttle' flash APK. Hmmm... those pics we saw of it with Shuttle branding appear to be real!