Root

Guest PaulOBrien

Next is backing up the stock image (well, actually i've done that) then differencing it with the 1.02 image.

After that, working on a recovery image and methods to launch it etc.!

Then, Android Market and Google Bits...

Then, MCR and kitchen. B)

P

Guest Paulo Nobrega
Next is backing up the stock image (well, actually i've done that) then differencing it with the 1.02 image.

Then, MCR and kitchen. :)

P

Paul, sorry to ask u this here, but i've been following most of the tablets topics so... I'm gonna buy one now for me, and I was pretty much convinced in the Vega from what i've read here.. The problem u guys in UK are having hard times getting one, so i probably wont have any change to get one sent to Portugal. So im considering the archos.. I cant afford a galaxy tab :)

Are u considering any hacking on the archos tablets? I know u have a galaxy tab, a vega (expecting) and thinking of returning ur Commitiva (wich i also considered, but same problem getting it sent to portugal.)

Thanks B)

Edited by Paulo Nobrega

Guest debs626

Just letting you know i have root, superuser permission. I used z4root, i didnt think it had worked at first but then i spotted the superuser icon in my apps. I installed titanium backup pro to test it and it worked fine B) My vega acted a little strange on first boot but after another boot its fine and dandy.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/z4root/com.z4mod.z4root link for anyone intrested

NOTE use at your own risk ...... not for the faint hearted lol

Edited by debs626

Guest daniel.weck

Vega hackers, how does your /proc/mounts and /proc/filesystems look like ? If your /data mount point is using RFS (essentially, MSDOS+metadata), it might be worth considering EXT2 instead, to speed-up a few things and keep battery usage low. Effectively, I guess it wouldn't make a dramatic difference performance-wise, but from a purist perspective have Linux using /etc/fstabs instead of any other /init.rc method is worth considering (it would make it easier to customize partitions, for a start).

Another question: are Samba/SMB modules loaded in the Kernel ? (cifs.ko and possibly slow-work.ko) This would be nice to enable network mount points in the local filesystem, which would allow regular video/audio applications to access remote media like if it was local.

Edited by daniel.weck

Guest terribleb
Another question: are Samba/SMB modules loaded in the Kernel ? (cifs.ko and possibly slow-work.ko) This would be nice to enable network mount points in the local filesystem, which would allow regular video/audio applications to access remote media like if it was local.

I am really interested in Samba/SMB, I currently have all my media on a FreeNas unix box, and I think it would be pretty important for me to be able to access shared drives, so I can view my content without having to copy things over to a card every night, which would be a real pain...

I am really interested in Samba/SMB, I currently have all my media on a FreeNas unix box, and I think it would be pretty important for me to be able to access shared drives, so I can view my content without having to copy things over to a card every night, which would be a real pain...
+1. All my media is on a windows share...

Guest removed-14

Then, MCR and kitchen. B)

P

I can feel a Modaco membership coming on if this lot arrives soon! With copious notes for us dumb ass'!

Guest removed-14
I can feel a Modaco membership coming on if this lot arrives soon! With copious notes for us dumb ass'!

Stuff it, I'm now a paid up member!

Right, back from the gym, gotta do a few bits for the Nexus One then i'm onto the Vega! B)

P

Great stuff! Remember, nice simple instructions for us numpties when you get round to a public release! Pretty please! Lol

Guest daniel.weck

Another way to stream media assets from a remote server to the Android tablet is to use uPnp / DLNA clients. Suggestions: AllShare, Twonky, AndroMote (iMediaShare does the opposite: media server on the mobile device).

Another way to stream media assets from a remote server to the Android tablet is to use uPnp / DLNA clients. Suggestions: AllShare, Twonky, AndroMote (iMediaShare does the opposite: media server on the mobile device).

Noooooooooooooo... I hate uPnp/DLNA servers. Windows shares is easy, and simple to organise in the way you want to as opposed to having to configure databases/shares etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest massjourney

Sorry for these dumbass questions... I have worked with Ubuntu so get the concept of rooting and superuser access but can I ask ...

1. Do I need to root my Vega prior to the kitchen mod or will the mod root the Vega? (i am guessing unlikely)

2. If I need to root first can you advise on the most efficient process and tools to do this please?

I have trawled the forums includign this one and there are no definitive answers (unless I missed them - mind you I am seeing double now! ;) )

Many thanks in advance

Jay

Guest max-greece

I don't have one of these units yet but if you want to stream from a Windows computer you can always do it using VLC S&C which is downloadable from the market. It takes a bit of setting up and you have to have VLC running on the computer but after that you can play anything on the android phone / device that VLC supports. Right now VLC 1.1.3 seems to work best although I haven't tried 1.1.5. You can also use your device as a remote control for the player which I do quite a lot with my PC being connected to the TV.

Guest massjourney
I don't have one of these units yet but if you want to stream from a Windows computer you can always do it using VLC S&C which is downloadable from the market. It takes a bit of setting up and you have to have VLC running on the computer but after that you can play anything on the android phone / device that VLC supports. Right now VLC 1.1.3 seems to work best although I haven't tried 1.1.5. You can also use your device as a remote control for the player which I do quite a lot with my PC being connected to the TV.

Thanks for the quick response... its more right now so I can use things like ClockworkMod for backups. There is a constant reference to having your device rooted in the forums and to root your device you need to blank it so i just want to set my device up ready for action. Not sure how relevant rooting your device is unless I want to start tampering with the binaries? Maybe someone can answer that for all us newbie androiders. Jay

Guest nigelpwilson
Thanks for the quick response... its more right now so I can use things like ClockworkMod for backups. There is a constant reference to having your device rooted in the forums and to root your device you need to blank it so i just want to set my device up ready for action. Not sure how relevant rooting your device is unless I want to start tampering with the binaries? Maybe someone can answer that for all us newbie androiders. Jay

Hi, you dont need to root first, just follow paul's instructions to install his rom and you will be rooted once running it. I'm not an expert at all, but hope this helps!!

• 2 months later...