Vega accessories

Guest removed-14

Guest rferrett

Indeed,

Will be interesting to see. I guess though a lot of it depends on how big a hit the Vega really has been. I mean as denizens of MoDaCo we are in something of a bubble. Those in the android hacking scene have been anticipating and following this for ages (I note that it has caused some discussion at Phandroid over the pond).

But in reality I expect they have probably only really sold a couple of hundred units which might mean there isn't all that much demand for the accessories.

Ralph

Guest HugoQueiriga
Working on a car mount, car charger, screen protectors and case... maybe a bundle with a BT GPS too.

P

That is great Paul.

However if I was to purchase I would not buy it with GPS as I already have spare one.

Guest wimsloboy

Just had a look at the official Ipad dock and although it doesn't seem to have the usb ports(can't tell from pic or info) they are selling it for £25 which is reasonable. Hopefully the dock for the vega will be around the same price point. BTW the price quoted for the screen protecter is outrageous :P

Guest captainsensible

Personally think the idea of a car mount is a bit silly really... especially if its a windscreen mounted one!! Can just imagine it being stuck on for all of 5 minutes then falling off, possibly doing some damage! lol

Guest removed-14

No reply from the @AdventVega Twitter account on the function of the USB ports on the dock or request for details about the cases. Why can't they just reply with "We don't know but will look into it for you." rather than just silence! I hate that!

Guest captainsensible
Have a look at the ipad / velcro vids on youtube.

Some good ideas there I think.

Here's one -

Hmmm, numerous rather silly ideas really... not sure the dashboard mount would be good for the Vega, given the viewing angle ;-)

Guest dr_nick
Have a look at the ipad / velcro vids on youtube.

Some good ideas there I think.

Here's one -

liking some of these ideas, though viewing angle MAY be an issue. certainly would be useful for a dash mount for passenger to watch video/surf internet... might finally have to persuade my wife to learn to drive!

dr_nick

Guest dr_nick

i had one of these magnetic mount kits for my htc touch HD which worked beautifully in the car. people always impressed when you mount to it!

i reckon, if you aare brave enough to unscrew the back like morchuboo a couple of these thin plates could be (nonpermanently) invisibly stuck inside. a little more polished than the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSDPKktbUk?

:P

Guest whatkatedoes

What about additional power supplies? Im pleased the advent has a nice little standard DC adapter as opposed to the 3-prong + brick the Folio has. I'd like to have a charger in the office and one at home - wonder how standard they are?

Guest terdbin
What about additional power supplies? Im pleased the advent has a nice little standard DC adapter as opposed to the 3-prong + brick the Folio has. I'd like to have a charger in the office and one at home - wonder how standard they are?

Looking at it, sure one of those universal dc adaotors will work, as long as you can select 12v and centre +'ve - which most do. They usually come with lots of ends, thr vega plug looks a standard one.

Guest JingleManSweep

I know it's expensive, but I've just ordered the official screen protector from PC World. I don't know if anybody else has, as it is quite expensive for a sheet of plastic and a cloth.

However, I did notice it was a "matt cover" so may go some way to reducing the glare/reflection of the Vega's screen.

If anyone has purchased one, I'd like to hear some feedback. If not, I'll give you my feedback once it's arrived.

I too want a suitable dock, so am waiting for that. I also want one of those leather-like cases that unfold into a triangle shape forming a portable dock for when I'm watching downloaded BBC iPlayer content when on the train.

Speaking of iPlayer (and if you don't have good 3G signal on the train like me with my MiFi hotspot), have a google for "get_iplayer". It is a shell script that allows you to download iPlayer content much like a PVR. You can add searches, and then just run the script in "PVR" mode via "cron" or Windows "Scheduled Tasks". It will then download the latest available episodes, much like a Podcast downloader. It works by pretending to be an iPhone (user agent string) and ripping the streams, as the iPhone streams are MPEG4 based and not Flash and also free of DRM. The iPhone format is just about right for the Vega's screen resolution. Don't expect 1080p quality here, but it is perfectly acceptable to catch up with your favourite programmes.

In terms of file sizes, an hour long programme is approximately 150MB (+/- 20MB depending on compression etc.). Just ordered a 16GB MicroSD card, so that is a lot of video content that can be squeezed onto the Vega. I don't mind spending a couple of hours a week preparing and copying next weeks train/commuting viewing onto my Vega.

EDIT: Going to create a separate topic for my "get_iplayer" advice :P

Edited by JingleManSweep

Guest swarrans
Well I can't find the case on the PC World or Currys site that @AdventVega said would be available today? Anyone else found it?

I bought the logik one in currys and i'm happy with it - it's designed for something a bit thicker but the plan view fit is good. It does have zips thoughso may not be what you want. The cost of some of these cases is amazing- i guess cos many of them are aimed at the ipad market!