Is the Vega any good as for reading PDF's?

Guest tinaturner21

Guest tinaturner21

Hi all,

I've been watching the Vega with interest B)

Any new users care to comment how it performs as an e-book reader. I'm particularly interested in how two column scientific pdf's look

e.g.

pdf

Could someone post up some screen shots and opinions

Thanks

T

Guest dirtyfrog
Hi all,

I've been watching the Vega with interest B)

Any new users care to comment how it performs as an e-book reader. I'm particularly interested in how two column scientific pdf's look

e.g.

pdf

Could someone post up some screen shots and opinions

Thanks

T

On a similar note, has anyone tried any comic book readers, or Kindle? (You can get Kindle on Android, right, or am I a fool?)

Guest English Haze
On a similar note, has anyone tried any comic book readers, or Kindle? (You can get Kindle on Android, right, or am I a fool?)

Kindle seems to work just fine. I miss the tools like dictionary and highlight though. Am i missing something somewhere?

I got one for PDF reading, it works ok in landscape mode (providing you find a decent PDF reader) but in portrait mode (which is how I wanted to use it) the viewing angles were so poor I had a headache after 10 minutes B)

Guest Bonuman
I got one for PDF reading, it works ok in landscape mode (providing you find a decent PDF reader) but in portrait mode (which is how I wanted to use it) the viewing angles were so poor I had a headache after 10 minutes B)

Does anyone share this opinion?

Guest matneee
The viewing angles are definitely not good in portrait!

P

I don't mind the viewing angles so much in portrait. One of the main reasons I bought mine was for books/pdfs/comics, and I find that when I hold it at viewing distance it's comfortable enough to read. I've got to angle the screen by a few degrees before I start, but generally I don't wave books about when reading them so I'm reading at a fixed, viewable angle from then on B)

Obviously this is a personal thing though - I might just be quite tolerant on this sort of screen quirk.

JJComics Viewer, Aldiko, and Kindle all work great. With PDFs, the hardest part was actually finding a decent reader in the first place. Most of them seem to have problems rendering graphical content, The Adobe official one is OK-ish, but there's one called ezPDF Reader that is genuinely good. It's paid, but was about 70p, and it's frankly a joy to use.

As for the paper Tina linked to, I wouldn't want to read it full-page in portrait due to the text size being a little on the small side, but with the reader I mentioned it's simple enough to tap the screen and auto-zoom on one column at a time. The table on p2 that fills the bottom of the page is more or less unreadable in portrait, so it's a quick torn of the tablet to resize it to landscape for viewing.

Edited by matneee

Guest Bonuman

Anyone care to shoot a short video testing the viewing angles? Is it as bad as Nos said, i.e. is it undoable to read eBooks in portrait mode?

Edited by Bonuman

Guest unclebob31
Anyone care to shoot a short video testing the viewing angles? Is it as bad as Nos said, i.e. is it undoable to read eBooks in portrait mode?

Will get mine today and let you know about portrait mode...

However apart from the 'book like' shape that gives what would be the real issue in reading in landscape??

After all I expect you are reading this on a monitor in what is probably the equivalent of landscape mode.

Have been using my galaxy s as a reader at night... orange on black so as not to disturb Mrs UB and that is fine although screen size means less text on one page which in truth after many years book reading takes a little getting used to.

These are still pretty much 1st gen stuff I'd expect better screens at this price point in a year or so at which point it will be upgrade time and at c£200 a pop is no more than a high end graphics card...