Clarification required

Guest HaddockJG

Guest HaddockJG

Morning All,

I've had my DHD for a few days now and have been reading and re-reading the various posts here and at xda with regards to getting it rooted. I've done this several times with my hero and that was all fine.

I remain a bit confused though about aspects of the rooting process for the DHD, which I'm hoping to have clarified here.

The current process seems to be... gain root access, flashing a recovery image (clockworkmod seems favorite), and then load ROM of choice

Questions.

1. What is the relationship/significance of ENG HBOOT and S-OFF?
  2. I have Visionary + r14 installed (have tried temp root but not perm root) - what does the permroot of visionary give me? is it just a 1-click version of the various adb/hex editing requirements in other threads?
  3. If I permroot using visionary+ r14, do I then flash clockworkmod recovery, and follow that with a rom of choice or do i have to fiddle around further (assume I'll be doing nandroid backups frequently!)
  4. Is Rom Manager a good thing? I've always done rom loading manually on the hero...?
  5. How do I find out what version my stock ROM is, my phone came from (I think) France, judging by the documentation, but I bought it from an online store so not 100% sure of that. The Visionary+ thread recommends having a copy of my stock ROM to hand in case of emergency.
Thanks in advance. Edited by HaddockJG

Guest ghostofcain
Questions.
  1. What is the relationship/significance of ENG HBOOT and S-OFF?
  2. I have Visionary + r14 installed (have tried temp root but not perm root) - what does the permroot of visionary give me? is it just a 1-click version of the various adb/hex editing requirements in other threads?
  3. If I permroot using visionary+ r14, do I then flash clockworkmod recovery, and follow that with a rom of choice or do i have to fiddle around further (assume I'll be doing nandroid backups frequently!)
  4. Is Rom Manager a good thing? I've always done rom loading manually on the hero...?
  5. How do I find out what version my stock ROM is, my phone came from (I think) France, judging by the documentation, but I bought it from an online store so not 100% sure of that. The Visionary+ thread recommends having a copy of my stock ROM to hand in case of emergency.
Thanks in advance.

1. to achieve S-OFF we must reflash the bootloader, which unlocks the NAND flash. ENG HBOOT is a bootloader that disables the security

2. temp root, gives you root but as no permanent changes are made, the security on the NAND flash prevents changes being written to /system they are just stored in the linux cache, and are lost after a reboot

3. Yes and No, it's merely a GUI front end to Clockwork recovery if you are happy navigating your way around the recovery you can do without it, personally I find it handy for automating processes i.e one click install of rom with wipe of data / cache beforehand and making a Nandroid backup

4. Use nandroid to make a copy

Guest HaddockJG
1. to achieve S-OFF we must reflash the bootloader, which unlocks the NAND flash. ENG HBOOT is a bootloader that disables the security

2. temp root, gives you root but as no permanent changes are made, the security on the NAND flash prevents changes being written to /system they are just stored in the linux cache, and are lost after a reboot

3. Yes and No, it's merely a GUI front end to Clockwork recovery if you are happy navigating your way around the recovery you can do without it, personally I find it handy for automating processes i.e one click install of rom with wipe of data / cache beforehand and making a Nandroid backup

4. Use nandroid to make a copy

Thanks very much for the clarification. That pretty much lines up with what I was thinking.

Now I just need to make sure I understand the process for reflashing the bootloader.

Rom Manager does sound useful.

cheers