Rogers/Fido? Froyo Malez Recovery Fix!

Guest Harness

Guest xaueious

A description of this 'fix' so people know what to do. I returned to stock and realized what the fuss was all about.

In the shipped Acer Liquid E configurations, the recovery partition is designed to be rewritten upon normal bootup of the system.

To install a custom recovery permanently on a stock Acer Liquid E with Android 2.2, this bootup behavior has to be altered. This behavior can be altered by changing the affected file alone, or by flashing a custom ROM which replaces the relevant files.

To install Malez recovery, you can still run the install script, provided that you DO NOT REBOOT the phone into normal bootup mode when the script asks during fastboot, after the custom recovery image has already been installed. Now you will want to unplug the device (and pull the battery) to turn the thing off. Then you can reboot the phone into recovery mode (vol -, camera, power -> phone vibrates three times). Rememeber that to press the camera button, you need to depress fully so you trigger the camera action, not the camera focus. If successful, you will boot into Malez recovery, where you can install a custom firmware of your choice. After the custom firmware is installed, you do not have to worry about the recovery being overwritten.

In recovery mode, navigate using the volume buttons, and select with the menu button. Back returns to the previous option.

Not sure if the update.zip removed install_recovery.sh, flash_image, or altered init.rc.

Edited by xaueious

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest DroidBC

Will this work for the latest Fido update Acer_Liquid_E_4.004.12_PA_FIDO?

Android version is 2.2.2, baseband A1-05.01.07, if that matters.

Edit: I used the "auto root" option from the official Malez Recovery page. Malez Recovery didn't stick but it did give me root, which was all I wanted.

Edited by DroidBC

Guest renzs

A description of this 'fix' so people know what to do. I returned to stock and realized what the fuss was all about.

In the shipped Acer Liquid E configurations, the recovery partition is designed to be rewritten upon normal bootup of the system.

To install a custom recovery permanently on a stock Acer Liquid E with Android 2.2, this bootup behavior has to be altered. This behavior can be altered by changing the affected file alone, or by flashing a custom ROM which replaces the relevant files.

To install Malez recovery, you can still run the install script, provided that you DO NOT REBOOT the phone into normal bootup mode when the script asks during fastboot, after the custom recovery image has already been installed. Now you will want to unplug the device (and pull the battery) to turn the thing off. Then you can reboot the phone into recovery mode (vol -, camera, power -> phone vibrates three times). Rememeber that to press the camera button, you need to depress fully so you trigger the camera action, not the camera focus. If successful, you will boot into Malez recovery, where you can install a custom firmware of your choice. After the custom firmware is installed, you do not have to worry about the recovery being overwritten.

In recovery mode, navigate using the volume buttons, and select with the menu button. Back returns to the previous option.

Not sure if the update.zip removed install_recovery.sh, flash_image, or altered init.rc.

this works.. thanks!

~renzs

Edited by renzs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest thirtytwodave

I'm in the same boat. Can someone post an alternate download link? Thanks!

if you just want to root install malez recovery and don't let the phone reboot pull the battery put it back in and boot the phone in recovery, Once the phone reboots you will loose the recovery

Can somebody upload again the link is dead

i have created an alternative automatic recovery installer. I have sent you a link by PM.

Everything is automatic and recovery should remain in place, even after the reboot.

Unfortunatly , noone contacted me to test it. Keep me informed.

Guest thirtytwodave

I ended up putting in a custom rom as soon as i figure out how to get rogers rom back in i will try and let you know this may take a few hours

Edited by thirtytwodave

I ended up putting in a custom rom as soon as i figure out how to get rogers rom back in i will try and let you know this may take a few hours

Ok, keep me informed.

Edited by malez

Guest thirtytwodave

i am having trouble getting by the status 7 but i will keep trying to get rogers back on it

i tried it on my sisters acer works good thank you very much

Edited by thirtytwodave

i am having trouble getting by the status 7 but i will keep trying to get rogers back on it

i tried it on my sisters acer works good thank you very much

You sister's phone was an original one on Rogers/Fido ?

Guest thirtytwodave

yes and i finally got mine back to stock 2.2.2 and it works great thanks once again, but i have a question i rooted it through your recovery but when i use android commander it says i don't have root

Disregard i got it using your auto root

Edited by thirtytwodave

yes and i finally got mine back to stock 2.2.2 and it works great thanks once again, but i have a question i rooted it through your recovery but when i use android commander it says i don't have root

Disregard i got it using your auto root

You can try to root again, using an other root method (there is 3 methods in recovery)

Guest thirtytwodave

You can try to root again, using an other root method (there is 3 methods in recovery)

ok thanks i had only tried 1.1 then 1 then i used the auto root but as soon as i restarted i lost root but put in choco-acer-kernel-110527-1501 and no more problem thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest Vikingisson

Good day folks. Today I was handed a Liquid E (S100) that had been running the stock Rogers 2.1. They tried doing the 2.2 update and then trashed it somehow, probably due to low space. The phone seemed bricked but after a while I got it back to a stockish 2.1 (with Chinese). The Rogers updates wouldn't work other than boot looping. I finally got it to a 2.2 (LCR I think). But she wants the real stock for the last week of warranty. Of course the official Rogers/Acer updates won't work. I now have it on someone's supposed stock 2.2 ROM that was modified thinking it would then allow me to update but I guess the recovery is in my way.

I've read through this thread and it seems I need a modified recovery. Since the thread is old and the downloads are gone I'm asking what my options are now. I currently have the latest Malez and root. Thanks for any help.

edit-> Just an FYI, since unbricking the phone I don't have auto rotate any longer. She swears it was working. I've tried all combinations but auto rotate isn't working. Youtube goes into landscape mode but auto isn't working.

Edited by Vikingisson

Guest Vikingisson

Anyone have a download link for anything that will allow the stock Rogers update to run? My friend needs to return the phone for warranty but I'm on an official Acer ROM and can't get the Rogers update to work. I tried a PM but it seems that malez can't take any more PMs.

Guest Vikingisson

And autorotation?

That still doesn't work although I got her to admit that it had been a problem for a while. Apparently she can tap it in "special" ways to flip it but I found that a pain. That's the main reason she needs warranty although I doubt they will honour it. Around the office they now call me the UnBrick Man. :)

• 3 months later...
Guest petermueller

EDIT: Solved: Get the drivers from ftp://ftp.support.ac...ne/s100/driver/ ; use installMalezRecovery_0.6.2_FULL.exe , when in bootloader (black screen / white text) remove battery, unplug, enter recovery mode.

That's it

I tried with installMalezRecovery_0.6.1_Alternate1_FULL.exe, which seemingly is the 'Rogers' version of malez (I don't have a Roger's one, the other one didn't work though). Went through install procedure without probs, until the cmd window said "press any key to close". That's what I did.

Now, after the installation, my phone remains in the black screen with the white text. Looks like this The lines are:

USB FastBoot: V1.10.00

HW version: V1.0

AMSS version: A1-05.01.05

Machine ID: *******************

Build Date: Nov 17 2010, 15:08:39

Serial Number: ******************

usb_init

writing 'recovery' (4984832 bytes) verify... verify... - OKAY

What do I have to do now? The cmd window and your how-to said to "Remove battery, unplug, insert battery, boot into recovery mode". Ist that what I need to do now?

Remember, my phone is still in the black screen with white text, and I don't want to brick it by doing a wrong move ;)

btw. on my SD card there are the following folders / files in the root directory:

folders:

.albumthumbs

.android_secure

.dataviz

.thumbnails

Android

bluetooth

DCIM

documents

download

LOST.DIR

media