power adapter

Guest goldenbolux

Guest goldenbolux

hi everyone

got my vega delivered this evening and all was going great until i decided to plug it in and try to update etc

plugged in usb then the power adaptor.

next thing the whole house electrics went off !

reset trips and tried again

the adaptor is now not charging and smells of electrical burning

please everyone be careful

mine has a manufacture date of 2010.10.11 incase there is a dodgy batch

goodness knows what will happen now as i liked it and the chances of them sending me a new power adaptor at the present time seems very slim

hope the whole lots doesnt have to go back as i like it !

Guest goldenbolux

yeah i have tried to report it

rang techguys at midnight last night

they said i had to ring back at 9 this morning

was on the phone for nearly an hour to find out they have no replacement parts and it all has to go back

I told they i didnt really want to send it back as they were as rare as rocky horses sh*t

he said he would see if anywhere had a power supply that they could ship in the mean time that would be suitable

no one has yet called me back and i am not optomistic .

anyone know where i can get a cheap car charger for the vega

i could use this in the mean time till they got further stock or stock of spares

thanks in advance

yeah i have tried to report it

rang techguys at midnight last night

they said i had to ring back at 9 this morning

was on the phone for nearly an hour to find out they have no replacement parts and it all has to go back

I told they i didnt really want to send it back as they were as rare as rocky horses sh*t

he said he would see if anywhere had a power supply that they could ship in the mean time that would be suitable

no one has yet called me back and i am not optomistic .

anyone know where i can get a cheap car charger for the vega

i could use this in the mean time till they got further stock or stock of spares

thanks in advance

If you can make a note of the voltage & current on the original then I'm sure you can buy a replacement.

The most critical info is the voltage - make sure he replacement is the same otherwise it'll be your vega smelling bad!

The new charger should have to supply at least the same current (amps or milliamps - mA) but it wouldn't cause a problem if it had a higher rating.

Does the Vega charge via USB? Or is it via a round connector?

Guest morchuboo
hi everyone

got my vega delivered this evening and all was going great until i decided to plug it in and try to update etc

plugged in usb then the power adaptor.

next thing the whole house electrics went off !

reset trips and tried again

the adaptor is now not charging and smells of electrical burning

please everyone be careful

mine has a manufacture date of 2010.10.11 incase there is a dodgy batch

goodness knows what will happen now as i liked it and the chances of them sending me a new power adaptor at the present time seems very slim

hope the whole lots doesnt have to go back as i like it !

Mine has the same date so it is not likely a batch issue. Maybe a spike on initial draw - was it plugged into a power strip by any chance? you may have overloaded the 13 amp fuse limit....

Did everything in the house go or just the ring your plug is on - did the lights upstairs for example stay on or was is the master switch on the RCD?

Either way the adapter is a standard APD adapter (WA-12I12R) and outputs 12v at 1A and looks like a standard 2mm plug.

If you are anywhere near a maplins then they should have a suitable replacement

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46107

This one should do it I think - check the polarity on the tips when you get it shoud be - ---C---- +

Take your vega with you - they might let you try it if you let them have a go :P

*Edited as the first recomendation was ac/ac adapter

Edited by morchuboo

Guest goldenbolux

it took the lot out

there was definately something wrong inside the adapter took mains rcd out direct into sock

it flashed when i plugged it in and smells of electronics burning inside the adapter

i asked pcworld if i could open it up and have a go at fixing it (im an electronics engineer ) but they said no way

i have a similar supply to the one that was mentioned and have used that last night to charge it

i will just keep using this until they can swap out when they have some stock

hopefully the dock wont be ridiculously priced like the screen protector