HD video/audio support using the stock player

Guest arad85

Guest Advent Vega
Still I can't help thinking it would be grand if it supported .mkv

Annoying that it doesn't.

Ralph

It seems that MKV's will play but very very jerky. It looks like the bitrate or quality of the samples we've tested seem too high for a good playback experience.

We're working to see if we can improve the situation.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team.

It seems that MKV's will play but very very jerky. It looks like the bitrate or quality of the samples we've tested seem too high for a good playback experience.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team.

Im not sure i buy that tbh ... how comes MP4 files work perfectly fine then?? An MKV file is just a normal video file with a bit of guff at the begining for additional languages subtitles etc ....

I can understand some higher level profiles not working fair enough ... otherwise i dont see what the issue is tbh.

Thanks for looking into it though

Regards,

Advent Vega Team.

Kudos to you for looking at supporting this - thanks :P. A definition of what we can expect the hardware decoder to support with the supplied media player would be great too.

• 1 month later...

I own a Toshiba Folio 100 which has the same SOC Tegra 250.

I recently saw that Rockplayer added support for Tegra, but unfortunately mkv support still use the software decoding and not the hardware acceleration.

According to Rockplayer this is not possible until mkv is supported by Android and Google. Personally this feels a bit strange since MKV is just a container, and if you

go to www.matroska.org the first ting you will see is the text "Matroska Media Container"... :unsure:

Let's put it this way, Archos and Samsung has managed to add support for mkv and 720p using hardware decoding using Android, so for Rockplayer to say that

we have to wait for Google is just lazy... The player should be able to retrieve the h264 stream an play it using hardware decoding, the same way that is done by Archos and Samsung...

I think our best bet is to wait for Coreplayer for Android which should be released in 2011 and according to

CoreCodec their Coreplayer will have support for Tegra.

Regarding playing HD content using the stock Android player which is included in the Gallery app.

I've been able to play 1080p content using a fairly high bitrate. You can use the container MOV with h264 or MP4.

For me the ability to play mkv is a matter of convenience and I don't want to re-encode everything to be able to play it on my Tegra tablet.

Guest phil-t

Ive just tried a few files, to see what plays for me.

720p/1080p mp4 and wmv play flawlessly from www.gamersyde.com (Using default video player)

XVID TV episodes (sd) play flawlessly (using default video player)

MKV with low bitrate 720p play with low framerate using Rockplayer, clearly its not a bitrate issue, just not hardware decoding the video stream.

Clearly 1080p h264 / sd divx / xvid is supported by the hardware as advertised, we just need more container support. I might try demuxing some higher rate mkv's, but I bet they play, because they are around 12mbit encodes, the Tegra 2 specs mention 20mbit, which isn't too shabby, but avchd isn't specifically mentioned.

Edited by phil-t

Guest Eyeloose

I've been using Mp4forHD (from xda-devs)

I used the iPad settings - converted and looks great...

It also gives the memcoder conversion line if you want to try from a linux box

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=478050

You need to install the exe and then apply the zip patch to install path for the added profiles, HD2/iPad etc etc

You can edit the profiles/create new profile to represent the 1024x600 too

From my limited experience so far, MKV don't work but you can easily convert to M4V with minimal loss of quality. I'm currently experimenting doing this using Handbrake and the iPad presets (https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/)

So far, looks & plays OK but am trying to find the optimal settings to allow me to watch both on the Vega and via HDMI on a TV

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest sugar0
BTW the Borne Ultimatum trailer from here : http://www.h264info.com/clips.html played fine.

Video Type: 1920×816 (1080p), 23.967 FPS, CE-Baseline profile (PS3 and Xbox 360 compatible)

Audio Type: AAC LC Stereo

matnee is right that anything that isn't using the default android video core isn't going to be using any acceleration at all, just cpu (rockplayer, vplayer, etc etc). If the Samsung Galaxy Tab can play Matroka that would suggest that they have added the MKV container to opencore, maybe we that might pop up in AOSP soon? (still won't alter the codet/profile/bitrate restrictions though)

THIS!

• 1 month later...

Regards,

Advent Vega Team.

Did anything ever come of this? Or was the project abandoned?

Would be awesome to have this working........