Vega internals

Guest morchuboo

Guest morchuboo

Ok I was curious....

The Vega is nice and easy to take apart and great to work with internally.

Remove the rubber feet and there are 4 small phillips screws:

5209067138_bdc2ebac09.jpg

The back is held in place by small clips arround the edges but a gentle prise and it comes off:

5209067142_314df6a628.jpg

As you can see the internals are dominated by the battery and motherboard

Speaking of the battery:

5209067144_0e0a647136_b.jpg

I am trying to find where replacements can be obtained but no luck yet. If anyone finds them or suitable swapouts then let us know!

Motherboard contains everything you would expect and I have labeled what I knew...

5209067148_da6308ef40_b.jpg

Finally I disconnected a few bits from the motherboard so I could take a look underneath. Couldn't get a photo as I didnt turn the motherboard over in fear of disturbing the LCD and touch screen ribons.

After that I chickened out and put it all back together. Still working! :P

Guest morchuboo
I wonder where the optional 3G SIM slot would sit.

My guess is here:

5208993551_81350eeb5f_b.jpg

There are spare riser screw holes and the edge along the red rectangle that sits on the edge of the machine corresponds with the little plastic rectangle on the back and is removable when you take the back off.

I was reading on a viewsonic thread about hardware mod to add 3G modem.

Any chance of a link?

If it was possible and reliable (wonder if you could do GPS with 3G?) I'd be 100% sold!

Guest morchuboo

Forgot to mention yesterday - when you disconnect the battery the date reverts to epoch so no battery backed clock.

I assume that allowing the battery to drain completely will have the same effect.

Guest Advent Vega
Forgot to mention yesterday - when you disconnect the battery the date reverts to epoch so no battery backed clock.

I assume that allowing the battery to drain completely will have the same effect.

Hi,

The 3G slot would probably sit at the top on the rear of the unit, in the middle.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

Guest MarkoUK
Hi,

The 3G slot would probably sit at the top on the rear of the unit, in the middle.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

You going to give details of when the 3G model is going to be available?

Any ideas where I can get a PDMI connector too?

Guest warriorscot

Is it possible to remove the LCD and replace it? I was thinking it might be worth replacing it somewhere down the line with a better LCD or an AMOLED screen if they become cheaply avaiable and in the right size.

Guest SilentMobius
Is it possible to remove the LCD and replace it? I was thinking it might be worth replacing it somewhere down the line with a better LCD or an AMOLED screen if they become cheaply avaiable and in the right size.

In general I'd say no, as most LCD's aren't interchangeable (and AMOLED is totally different), _but_ the Pixel QI replacement 10.1 inch transreflective screen for some netbooks may well work. But it's a lot of money for a maybe...

Hmm, GTab teardown show their screen to be a B101AW06

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=842354

That is used in "Acer Lenovo M13 S10-3" according to

http://www.aliSPAM.com/product-gs/36075353...1_inch_LCD.html

According to engadget It will go in the S10-2

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/how-to-...etbook-and-why/

Damn, the s10-2 and the s10-3 have different screens :P well there is still hope, the Vega may not use the same screen as the GTab

Ok the s10-2 and the Samsung N130 use the same screen and here are a list of compatable part numbers (AKA things the 3QI screen can replace)

AU Optronics: B101AW01, B101AW01 V.0, B101AW01 V.2, B101AW01 V3

Chi Mei: N101L6-L02, N101N6-L01, N101N6-L02 Rev C.1

LG Philips: LP101WS1, LP101WS1(TL)(B1), LP101WS1(TL)(B3)

Samsung: LTN101NT02

Is the Vega screen is any of those? Dare I take mine apart to find out?

EDIT Well I ook mine apart, chickened out at the same place as the OP though, too worried about those grounding foil strips. But I believe I can confirm that the Pixwl QI display _won't_ fint in the Vega, I should have noticed from the pics above, but the cable port for the QI screen is about 1inch up the back of the panel where the vega panel has it's port at the very bottom :D

Other thought's though. I'm betting that large connector carries mini-PCIE, there are too many connectors for simple USB. however the solderpads below that? They could be USB, so there is the possibility there of using the top covered slot as a USB host maybe?

Edited by SilentMobius

• 4 weeks later...
Guest behnaam

Long story short:

I got an unbranded Vega directly from it's manufacturer in HK. I ended up with a Vega, but with a non working MicroSD slot. Contacted the manufacturer and told them the sample I got has a broken MicroSD card slot, and they told me they'll fix it, but I need to cover the shipping costs back to HK, which has a pretty high pricetag.

Handy as I am I chose to do it myself (bad move) but also explore if it's possible to change the touch screen (stock one literally sucks in terms of viewing angle capabilities) amongst many enhancements that can be done.

I came to the part of removing the battery connecter from the mother board and this happens (which was the last connector left to remove:

img20101229010356.jpg

All this for the cause of science I thought.... not really, bad move by me and I wasn't patient enough to crack this thing open.

So I'm basically screwed now since I'll probably wont find a replacement battery. So if you guys have anything you want me to check under the hood of this beast, tell me :( I'm all for the community work so I'm more than happy to try to find out how we can enhance this thing hardware wise ;)

Edited by behnaam

Guest Marshy84
So I'm basically screwed now since I'll probably wont find a replacement battery. So if you guys have anything you want me to check under the hood of this beast, tell me :( I'm all for the community work so I'm more than happy to try to find out how we can enhance this thing hardware wise ;)

Bummer ;)

Will the unit not work without the battery just on the mains?

Taking you up on your kind offer, could you separate the screen from the unit and find out make/model the touch-screen is?

Guest JordanT92
Long story short:

I got an unbranded Vega directly from it's manufacturer in HK. I ended up with a Vega, but with a non working MicroSD slot. Contacted the manufacturer and told them the sample I got has a broken MicroSD card slot, and they told me they'll fix it, but I need to cover the shipping costs back to HK, which has a pretty high pricetag.

Handy as I am I chose to do it myself (bad move) but also explore if it's possible to change the touch screen (stock one literally sucks in terms of viewing angle capabilities) amongst many enhancements that can be done.

I came to the part of removing the battery connecter from the mother board and this happens (which was the last connector left to remove:

img20101229010356.jpg

All this for the cause of science I thought.... not really, bad move by me and I wasn't patient enough to crack this thing open.

Ooh, that sucks :/ did the unbranded Vega come with a 3G module by any chance? ;) If not, any chance we can get closeups of the spare port on the vega so someone could possibly identify it or figure out how to work with it? I did so myself but microsd failure on my phone resulted in me losing them :/ Thanks.

Guest behnaam
Bummer ;)

Will the unit not work without the battery just on the mains?

Taking you up on your kind offer, could you separate the screen from the unit and find out make/model the touch-screen is?

I will do that and post pics later today, I just need to find a good camera at home (I'm not the photographer type of guy).

Ooh, that sucks :/ did the unbranded Vega come with a 3G module by any chance? ;) If not, any chance we can get closeups of the spare port on the vega so someone could possibly identify it or figure out how to work with it? I did so myself but microsd failure on my phone resulted in me losing them :/ Thanks.

No, but it's a option. I could also order a dock. I can post closeups later today :(

Guest warriorscot

Can't quite tell exactly what youve done from the pic. Looks like you snapped the connector or did you pull out something physically attached to the battery? If its just a case of breaking a fragile connector they aren't too hard to fix or even replace its something that happens occasionally in PCs with stuck connectors although the larger size of a PC connector makes them easy enough to fix.

If the actual metal components that do the work is undamaged and its just the plastic housing that broke you can often fix them with a variety of adhesive products from putties to glues, you would be surprised how effective basic modelling glue you get in airfix models works on plastic PC components.

Guest Marshy84

It looks like the connector has snapped in half at one of the pins.

Warriorscot is right, just use some really strong bonding agent to stick them back together and you should be sorted.

There is one other thing I would like you to test behnaam.

If you are able to separate the screen and get the Vega booted on mains, what is the viewing angle like?

I'm interested to know if the screen or the front-glass is causing the restricted viewing angle.