Problem installing Advent Tablet Companion on XP

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

Tried to load the Advent Vega Companion software onto my PC but when I attach the device via USB to my PC (running XP SP3) then kick off the setup.exe from the SD drive it comes up with the attached Microsoft .NET Framework error and does not create a shortcut icon on my desktop so I don't think the installation has completed. This same error message comes up each time I restart my PC and the only way to get rid of it is to uninstall the companion application.

Any ideas gratefully received?

post-794950-1290861363_thumb.jpg

Guest Advent Vega
Tried to load the Advent Vega Companion software onto my PC but when I attach the device via USB to my PC (running XP SP3) then kick off the setup.exe from the SD drive it comes up with the attached Microsoft .NET Framework error and does not create a shortcut icon on my desktop so I don't think the installation has completed. This same error message comes up each time I restart my PC and the only way to get rid of it is to uninstall the companion application.

Any ideas gratefully received?

Hi,

There is a base requirement of .NET 2.0 for the Transfer Companion.

We have tested the TC on Windows XP SP3 images (but we used Advent Windows XP SP3 images which have to include all of the latest updates at time of creation) so maybe these would be 2.0/3.0. You may want to update your version of .NET installed or double-check which version is installed.

The error message will continue to appear as the TC is added to the startup section (until you uninstall of course ;-))

Regards,

Advent Vega Team.

Guest trevor432990
Hi,

There is a base requirement of .NET 2.0 for the Transfer Companion.

We have tested the TC on Windows XP SP3 images (but we used Advent Windows XP SP3 images which have to include all of the latest updates at time of creation) so maybe these would be 2.0/3.0. You may want to update your version of .NET installed or double-check which version is installed.

The error message will continue to appear as the TC is added to the startup section (until you uninstall of course ;-))

Regards,

Advent Vega Team.

Thanks for the rapid response guys ... have checked what versions of .NET I have installed on my PC and there are several as follows:-

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (installed by Advent Vega setup I believe?)

Not sure if having so many versions can cause issues but installing latest versions does not automatically remove the previous releases apparently.

Any more suggestions please?

Regards

Trevor

Guest Advent Vega
Thanks for the rapid response guys ... have checked what versions of .NET I have installed on my PC and there are several as follows:-

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (installed by Advent Vega setup I believe?)

Not sure if having so many versions can cause issues but installing latest versions does not automatically remove the previous releases apparently.

Any more suggestions please?

Regards

Trevor

Hi,

Can you copy the entire text from the error box and paste into here so we can attempt to reproduce here please.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

Guest trevor432990
Hi,

Can you copy the entire text from the error box and paste into here so we can attempt to reproduce here please.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

As requested this is the entire text from the error message :-

************** Exception Text **************

System.Management.ManagementException: Not found

at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)

at System.Management.PropertyData.RefreshPropertyInfo()

at System.Management.PropertyDataCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)

at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)

at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.get_Item(String propertyName)

at USB_Detection.Startup.Grab_HW_IDs()

at USB_Detection.Startup.Startup_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at USB_Detection.Startup.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3615 (GDR.050727-3600)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

USB_Detection

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.3

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.3

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Advent/Advent%20Tablet%20Companion/USB_Detection.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3614 (GDR.050727-3600)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Management

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Guest Advent Vega

We have uploaded an updated version, just overwrite the existing file in the folder: C:\Program Files\Advent\Advent Tablet Companion.

This is a test version, if this fixes your problem we will update our web site with a new version.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

USB_Detection.zip

Guest trevor432990

We have uploaded an updated version, just overwrite the existing file in the folder: C:\Program Files\Advent\Advent Tablet Companion.

This is a test version, if this fixes your problem we will update our web site with a new version.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

There was no existing version of the USB Detection application in C:\Program Files\Advent\Advent Tablet Companion so I am wondering if the setup.exe in VegaMedia directory on device is working correctly? I have manually inserted it now as you requested and will reboot and see if it fixes the error message problem and will post the results.

Out of interest what exactly does the ATC software do and could the same not be achieved using Windows Explorer instead ?

Guest trevor432990
There was no existing version of the USB Detection application in C:\Program Files\Advent\Advent Tablet Companion so I am wondering if the setup.exe in VegaMedia directory on device is working correctly? I have manually inserted it now as you requested and will reboot and see if it fixes the error message problem and will post the results.

Out of interest what exactly does the ATC software do and could the same not be achieved using Windows Explorer instead ?

** Before the reboot .... I just noticed that the program called USB Detection which you sent me is EXACTLY the same size as the Advent Tablet Application already in the folder. Are they exactly the same program and if so shouldn't I remove the old and rename the new version ?? **

Guest Advent Vega

Hi,

The TC is simply to make the process of copying files to the right folder easier. You could use Windows Explorer.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

Guest Advent Vega
** Before the reboot .... I just noticed that the program called USB Detection which you sent me is EXACTLY the same size as the Advent Tablet Application already in the folder. Are they exactly the same program and if so shouldn't I remove the old and rename the new version ?? **

Hi,

As this is simply a test, you can either delete the original file name and rename this file or double-click the one I uploaded to see if it runs without the error.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

Guest trevor432990
Hi,

As this is simply a test, you can either delete the original file name and rename this file or double-click the one I uploaded to see if it runs without the error.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

Good news is the test worked and I no longer get the error message I originally posted so thanks very much for that. I have however found one or two other glitches that you may wish to fix namely:-

1. ATC could really do with a minimize button as well as the close button
  2. Spelling mistake 'revevant' > 'relevant'
  3. Media is only visible on the Vega once ATC or USB link is closed, is this correct? If so needs note in manual
  4. On start-up Windows reports ATC does not have a valid digital signature and throws up a 'Open File Security Warning' each time unless you uncheck the box
  5. Can you advise me of the path to the \vegamedia folder on the tablet please?

Not sure if it is just my PC setup or if others might experience the attached pop-up windows when USB cable is connected as well?

post-794950-1291033100_thumb.jpg

post-794950-1291033115_thumb.jpg