Photo

[GUIDE] Debranding /Installing different/recovering bricked firmware on your Motorola Defy

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Higgsy

Higgsy

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4+5, Moto G
  • Twitter:@jhiggaman

Hey Higgsy, question for ya.

I flashed the 2.21 UK version some days ago but I notice the VF360 stuff is still there in contacts. How do I get rid of this?

If I go to contacts>more>settings I cannot seem to un-tick VF360 or MOTOBLUR, seems to be 'greyed out' but ticked....

Thnx

complete data wipe probably I would guess, basically if you flash a different firmware and wipe everything, then once flashed wipe again. easiest way to do this is when flashing .sbf is to do it by stock recovery mode (power on while holding down, when the warning triangle comes up press the bottom right of the screen then wipe cache/data partition.

MadStu

MadStu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SIII
  • Twitter:@Mad_Stu
Hi, I flashed the 2.21 the other day without problems

So last night I wiped the phone and flashed the 2.34 deblur successfully and now I can't connect to T-Mobile it seems, just says "Emergency calls only".

Anything I need to do to get it working? Or should I just go back to 2.21?

I love this phone so much though, I've had it for a month and it's soooo cheap for such a great device!

Higgsy

Higgsy

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4+5, Moto G
  • Twitter:@jhiggaman

Hi, I flashed the 2.21 the other day without problems

So last night I wiped the phone and flashed the 2.34 deblur successfully and now I can't connect to T-Mobile it seems, just says "Emergency calls only".

Anything I need to do to get it working? Or should I just go back to 2.21?
I love this phone so much though, I've had it for a month and it's soooo cheap for such a great device!

no but did you do a full wipe before switching to 2.34 or you will have problems - if you check my thread on xda you will see my suggested method for moving to 2.34 from 2.21

Cheers

MadStu

MadStu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
The only thing I done was the factory reset in the settings menu. I'll go find your post on xda :D

Edited by MadStu, 12 January 2011 - 07:50 PM.

MadStu

MadStu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
I didn't do anything to the phone, I just restarted it and it's working now :D

#stingray#

#stingray#

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:Moto Defy

Hey Higgsy, question for ya.

I flashed the 2.21 UK version some days ago but I notice the VF360 stuff is still there in contacts. How do I get rid of this?

If I go to contacts>more>settings I cannot seem to un-tick VF360 or MOTOBLUR, seems to be 'greyed out' but ticked....

Thnx

Solved, seems before flashing it's a good idea to wipe user data/cache. No more VF360 !

Also came across this problem of Android Market Terms & Conditions 'hanging' after hard reset, solution I found to work for me was to disable wifi, allow location via gps/wifi/mobile networks, do not add your google account at startup add it when logging on to Market and all seems to work, then you can access Market via wifi again and you can put all your settings back to how you wish..... If it helps anyone.....

#stingray#

#stingray#

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

complete data wipe probably I would guess, basically if you flash a different firmware and wipe everything, then once flashed wipe again. easiest way to do this is when flashing .sbf is to do it by stock recovery mode (power on while holding down, when the warning triangle comes up press the bottom right of the screen then wipe cache/data partition.

DOH!, for some reason I didn't see your response before posting mine yesterday but this is what I did anyway. Thanks, this worked.

#stingray#

#stingray#

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Missing bit:
power on while holding volume down button, when the warning triangle comes up press the bottom right of the screen then wipe cache/data partition

Naga Raju Appani

Naga Raju Appani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch Diamond 2

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any damage to your phone, your PC or indeed your life from following this guide. The steps in this guide worked for me. If you have problems uninstall everything and start from Step 4 again. Doing this kind of thing could affect your warranty and all that so have a long hard think about it before you go ahead

This guide will show you how to debrand your Motorola Defy (Eg bought on T-Mobile UK and want generic UK firmware), or indeed restore the phone if you brick (Eg ie removing important apps that you shouldn’t have touched!!)

Props go to jutley for his debranding guide for the flipout, and dkspook for his information in other threads, and anyone else who thinks they may have contributed, oh yeah and my Mum.
##WARNING: Do not flash the newer 2.51 UK Firmware - it is patched and at present root is not possible. Also the Deblur Firmware, is by no means Vanilla - it just has some elements such as the social networking app removed, My advice is to stay on 2.21 UK##

##Disconnect phone from PC##

STEP 1 Download usb drivers here below

http://developer.mot...r/?pubid=987654

STEP 2 Download the debranded Firmware here (To debrand to generic UK I used the one marked UK - choose the one for your country)

http://and-developers.com/sbf:defy

STEP 3 Download RSDLite - I used v4.9, I found earlier versions would not work. Get it here.

http://www.uploadmb....p?id=1285967465

STEP 4 Install the USB Drivers and the RSDLite program and reboot PC

STEP 5 Extract the firmware file you downloaded a while ago. Then copy the .sbf firmware file to c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite folder (installation directory for RDSLite). this should come out as JRDNEM_U3_2.21.0_SIGNED_UCAJRDNEMARAB1B80AA028.0R_USAJORDANRTGB_P026_A007_HWp3_S
rvice1FF.sbf for the UK one.

STEP 6 Start the RSDLite program now where it says filename press the select button and find the .sbf firmware file in c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite (it should default to this folder) and select the (sbf) file some details will appear on the right hand side.

STEP 7 We now need to boot the phone into the bootloader (as above make sure the phone is disconnected from USB – not sure if matters tho!). Hold the volume up and then power the phone on, after about 5 seconds release the buttons and the bootloader should display - it will show the version and a battery check. Now plug in the USB cable and it should install the drivers. Once its finished you should see the phone appear at the bottom of the RSDLite program window under `port 1` - Once this is there you are ready to flash the firmware. NB: I had issues getting it to show a number of times. Uninstalling RSDLite/Drivers, rebooting PC, and then reinstalling these resolved this issue.

STEP 8 Press the start button on the RSDLite and just relax while your device gets flashed,debranded etc. you will see a progress status on the right hand side wait till it reaches 100% but please do not disconect it will reboot the phone automaticly and restart the phone.And just wait untill android comes up and fully running untill you disconnect it should read "PLEASE START PHONE MANUALLY" on RSDLite, when this shows it is safe to unplug.

Hopefully now you will have a debranded/unbricked phone.

One thing I noticed is that the data partition stayed intact for me when I debranded, meaning all my settings and installed app (providing you hadn’t moved stuff to /system) were still there after the process – cool! The only thing you will have to do is re-root the device.

Hope you find this useful and I look forward to a great community for the Defy!

Naga Raju Appani

Naga Raju Appani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch Diamond 2

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any damage to your phone, your PC or indeed your life from following this guide. The steps in this guide worked for me. If you have problems uninstall everything and start from Step 4 again. Doing this kind of thing could affect your warranty and all that so have a long hard think about it before you go ahead

This guide will show you how to debrand your Motorola Defy (Eg bought on T-Mobile UK and want generic UK firmware), or indeed restore the phone if you brick (Eg ie removing important apps that you shouldn’t have touched!!)

Props go to jutley for his debranding guide for the flipout, and dkspook for his information in other threads, and anyone else who thinks they may have contributed, oh yeah and my Mum.
##WARNING: Do not flash the newer 2.51 UK Firmware - it is patched and at present root is not possible. Also the Deblur Firmware, is by no means Vanilla - it just has some elements such as the social networking app removed, My advice is to stay on 2.21 UK##

##Disconnect phone from PC##

STEP 1 Download usb drivers here below

http://developer.mot...r/?pubid=987654

Hi,

I was just flashing the UK Firmware on a unbricked phone. I have actually rooted my phone and this phone is from honk-kong. I was using RSD lite 4.9 to flash the sbf. It went well till 73% and suddenly phone turned off and RSD Lite displayed "Failed, Device disconnected error". Now, I am not able to bring the phone on. When I connect the phone to charger, there is nothing on the phone like it is dead. When I connect phone through USB, I can see white light

STEP 2 Download the debranded Firmware here (To debrand to generic UK I used the one marked UK - choose the one for your country)

http://and-developers.com/sbf:defy

STEP 3 Download RSDLite - I used v4.9, I found earlier versions would not work. Get it here.

http://www.uploadmb....p?id=1285967465

STEP 4 Install the USB Drivers and the RSDLite program and reboot PC

STEP 5 Extract the firmware file you downloaded a while ago. Then copy the .sbf firmware file to c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite folder (installation directory for RDSLite). this should come out as JRDNEM_U3_2.21.0_SIGNED_UCAJRDNEMARAB1B80AA028.0R_USAJORDANRTGB_P026_A007_HWp3_S
rvice1FF.sbf for the UK one.

STEP 6 Start the RSDLite program now where it says filename press the select button and find the .sbf firmware file in c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite (it should default to this folder) and select the (sbf) file some details will appear on the right hand side.

STEP 7 We now need to boot the phone into the bootloader (as above make sure the phone is disconnected from USB – not sure if matters tho!). Hold the volume up and then power the phone on, after about 5 seconds release the buttons and the bootloader should display - it will show the version and a battery check. Now plug in the USB cable and it should install the drivers. Once its finished you should see the phone appear at the bottom of the RSDLite program window under `port 1` - Once this is there you are ready to flash the firmware. NB: I had issues getting it to show a number of times. Uninstalling RSDLite/Drivers, rebooting PC, and then reinstalling these resolved this issue.

STEP 8 Press the start button on the RSDLite and just relax while your device gets flashed,debranded etc. you will see a progress status on the right hand side wait till it reaches 100% but please do not disconect it will reboot the phone automaticly and restart the phone.And just wait untill android comes up and fully running untill you disconnect it should read "PLEASE START PHONE MANUALLY" on RSDLite, when this shows it is safe to unplug.

Hopefully now you will have a debranded/unbricked phone.

One thing I noticed is that the data partition stayed intact for me when I debranded, meaning all my settings and installed app (providing you hadn’t moved stuff to /system) were still there after the process – cool! The only thing you will have to do is re-root the device.

Hope you find this useful and I look forward to a great community for the Defy!

Hi,

I was flashing the UK Sbf on a unbricked phone using RSD Lite 4.9. During the flashing process, suddenly phone turned off and disconnected with RSD Lite displayed a message "Failed, Device disconnected error".
I actually had 40% battery b4 starting the process. is it the low-battery problem?? Now, I am not able to do anything with the phone. When I have plugged in for charging, it says nothing. Is it dead?? But, when I have connected to the USB, a white small light comes on the top.
How to get my phone back? My phone is from Honk kong and i have rooted it as well.
Would u please guide me if we can do something??

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,
Naga

huhaa

huhaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Defy
If I use the stock ROM, will I be able to receive updates from Motorola.

Like I would like to wait for the 2.2 release by Motorola. Would I be able to get their updates?

it_ferret

it_ferret

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok my phone is DEAD! Yes I have have read alot of posts and used my mate "Google" but they are all saying or pointing to your thread which I have read. I work in ICT so I know to do research first before posting but I'm not getting anywhere. I just hope i'm being a numpty and missed something.

I have an unbranded UK one original version 2.21 and I had successfully flashed with your rom and others by following the steps, but last night I flashed it with PAYS rom and it was fine but then it all went pear shaped when I tried to flash it back to the original 2.21 rom via RSD Lite but it's just a black screen and when plugged in I get a charge light. The Battery is full charge.

I can not enter Bootloader and when I enter system recovery it does not respond when pressing the bottom right hand corner.

RSD does see the phone connected and it runs through the process of flashing it but then it goes to re-boot and nothing. RSD says it's finished, it does not go through the process of re-booting the phone.

In RSD on the phone properties this is all I get:-

IMEI/ESN/MEID: N / A
Technology: N / A
Software Version: N / A
Flex Version: N / A
Bootloader Version: v0x000910
DRM Version: N / A
AP Die ID: 1e600209036f60010000d8ff0100
BP Die ID: 0000000000000000000000000000
AP Public ID: a9e56c008df05759e72a50cf0e4ce907eea6c0de

Please, please somebody help me!

galumu

galumu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ok my phone is DEAD! Yes I have have read alot of posts and used my mate "Google" but they are all saying or pointing to your thread which I have read. I work in ICT so I know to do research first before posting but I'm not getting anywhere. I just hope i'm being a numpty and missed something.

I have an unbranded UK one original version 2.21 and I had successfully flashed with your rom and others by following the steps, but last night I flashed it with PAYS rom and it was fine but then it all went pear shaped when I tried to flash it back to the original 2.21 rom via RSD Lite but it's just a black screen and when plugged in I get a charge light. The Battery is full charge.

I can not enter Bootloader and when I enter system recovery it does not respond when pressing the bottom right hand corner.

RSD does see the phone connected and it runs through the process of flashing it but then it goes to re-boot and nothing. RSD says it's finished, it does not go through the process of re-booting the phone.

In RSD on the phone properties this is all I get:-

AP Die ID: 1e600209036f60010000d8ff0100
AP Public ID: a9e56c008df05759e72a50cf0e4ce907eea6c0de
Please, please somebody help me!

I have faced similar problem.
I think there is some thing that avoid putting any other ROM but the Pays-
Idea thats worked in my case:
Power on with volume up pressed. Even if there are nothing id the screen, flash the Pays ROM using RSD Lite. ANd continues eith the process.
Pls. let know whats going on
Luck and I expect some correction in the new Pays ROM version.
G.

galumu

galumu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I have faced similar problem.
I think there is some thing that avoid putting any other ROM but the Pays-
Idea thats worked in my case:
Power on with volume up pressed. Even if there are nothing id the screen, flash the Pays ROM using RSD Lite. ANd continues eith the process.
Pls. let know whats going on
Luck and I expect some correction in the new Pays ROM version.
G.

Correction. You must flash the Android 2.2 Froyo based on UK 3.4.2-117 using RSD lite.
G.

Spiffilacious

Spiffilacious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks a million to Higgsy - the procedure worked great for me. I semi-bricked my Defy while freezing bloatware apps one at a time, rebooting after freezing MotoBlur Services gave me a blank screen with no access to apps. I used the deblurred Central European .sbf, and what a relief to see the green android when the phone rebooted!

This has given me the dangerous confidence to continue poking around, safe in the knowledge that I can always get back to where I am now. What a cracking phone the Defy is, and the info available in forums is fantastic.

Edit: Just want to add that all my apps were still present, not the Voda or Blur nonsense of course, but Z4Root would not run. I removed and re-installed the app but still no-go, so I rooted with SuperOneClick.

Edited by Spiffilacious, 17 March 2011 - 03:06 PM.

fredewis

fredewis

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Devices:GALAXY SII
  • Twitter:@@fredewis
this worked great fixed my boot loop by changing the stock animation

From GALAXY SII....+ 16 class 10 sdcard.

toothferry

toothferry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:defy
I tried this method and my phone is black RSDlite told me that the process is finished and rebooted the phone i waited all night did not get the green android unpluged the phone and nothing is happenning except the white light when connected to pc rsdlite does not see the device. what can I do Now Please help

bietoff0728

bietoff0728

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Higgsy!!

My Defy is in JRDNEM_U3_2.51.1 BLUR which i flash it months ago until recently i rooted it with SuperOneClick v2.1. I tried to flash it with 3.4.2_177-005_NORDIC last 3 days and i'm stuck at the ANDROID Logo until now. I've tried your method but still the same. This is what appears in RSD Lite v4.9:

Device Properties

AP Die ID: 2920020c0b8860010000d8ff2100
AP Public ID: e35ec27f433edac915b7f0e05ddff47a750b41e2
BP Public ID: 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Progress : Executed 100%
Result : In progress...

Did i make a mistake by flashing the NORDIC ROM?
Can you or anyone help me out with this?
Thank you in advance...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users