Linux on Vega (Ubuntu, meeGo)

Guest vgrade

Guest NS_nix
What I'm saying is that whilst both tablets are based on the tegra chipset they are not identical inside or out and you cannot take a rom from one and flash it to the other and get a functioning device. People have have extracted the system image from a gtab rom and used it on a Vega. They lost wireless though because the wireless drivers are different. I don't believe a gtab kernel will boot at all and the bootloader from the gtab will not boot our vega rom. We're still awaiting kernel sources which will hopefully be available soon.

I edited my post above.

Vegan beta4 kernel patch update.zip (called "veganb4-kernel-patch.zip"). If you are running Vegan beta 4 and have lots of lag-on-wake issues, you can give this a try - just download to SD Card and flash from Clockwork mod over your existing Vegan beta 4 installation.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=112

When the build the patch - boot.img, did they use kernel source code?

What is this VEGAn-Tab Build, based off Advent Vega firmware BETA 5.1, any kernel patch source code in this download?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884103

http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/android_tablets/

Please read the footnote

"The Malata Zpad, Advent Vega and Viewsonic Gtablet appear to be the same basic device, and the former two can probably use the latter's kernel"

(P.S. I don't have any of these devices, but planning to buy Viewsonic G-tablet)

Edited by NS_nix

Guest emergant
I edited my post above.

Vegan beta4 kernel patch update.zip (called "veganb4-kernel-patch.zip"). If you are running Vegan beta 4 and have lots of lag-on-wake issues, you can give this a try - just download to SD Card and flash from Clockwork mod over your existing Vegan beta 4 installation.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=112

Yes I believe there is a kernel bug and I understand that there will be a Vega kernel update from. Advent. Once the advent vega sources are available perhaps patches from other tegra kernel sources will be useful but not until that time.

I don't think we can directly use the gtab kernel

Guest emergant
When the build the patch - boot.img, did they use kernel source code?

Just to add that I'm sure they did use source code but not from the Vega kernel as I understand it. Their Vega rom is based on ours but I don't think it uses our kernel

Guest NS_nix
\o/ ubuntu booted to login prompt

So it boot with stock ubuntu tegra 2 kernel from nvidia?

I like to see a running ubuntu with GUI.

Thanks.

NS_nix.

Guest martinbrook

kernel is stock vega

i'd like to see it run MeeGo!

So it boot with stock ubuntu tegra 2 kernel from nvidia?

I like to see a running ubuntu with GUI.

Thanks.

NS_nix.

Guest emergant
kernel is stock vega

i'd like to see it run MeeGo!

Agreed, Meego is a better fit. Ubuntu with the new slimmed down netbook interface may be interesting but the interface is vitally important IMHO.

Great work though. Thanks for sharing

Guest martinbrook

No problem. Read the sig. Hope other can stand on mine.

Anyway enabled usb host last night using the other kernel which allowed me to attach kb.

Managed to run gears demo from l4tegra filesystem and also got raw xterm up albeit with the fbdev xorg driver.

Things have gone a bit pear shaped tonight though.

I was preparing an ubuntu 10.10 image and managed to hose my dev vm while supposedly writing the image to sdcard. !

That will teach me to use sudo without thinking.

Lab notes and files on a shared folder on the vm host though so no working files lost.

Creating a new ubuntu dev vm now.

Love this linux thing.

vgrade

Agreed, Meego is a better fit. Ubuntu with the new slimmed down netbook interface may be interesting but the interface is vitally important IMHO.

Great work though. Thanks for sharing

Guest emergant
where did my sig go

'standing on the shoulders of giants'

Sounds like you're making good progress. Sorry to hear about the glitch.

I know I'm slow, but I've only just realised that Vgrade and Martinbrook are the same person. I had thought that two people had said they were working on this :D

Guest martinbrook

sorry, I seem to have two modaco accounts here for some reason.

I should keep to vgrade as thats what I'm known as elsewhere. IRC, twitter, xda, etc

Good progress being made tonight on the hardfp build of meego which we need to run on tegra. see logs of #meego-arm

Gripping stuff.

Sounds like you're making good progress. Sorry to hear about the glitch.

I know I'm slow, but I've only just realised that Vgrade and Martinbrook are the same person. I had thought that two people had said they were working on this :D

Guest martinbrook

from meego hardfp image

http://pastebin.com/TqKWx455

Just have to nick the vega off my son to test.

vgrade

sorry, I seem to have two modaco accounts here for some reason.

I should keep to vgrade as thats what I'm known as elsewhere. IRC, twitter, xda, etc

Good progress being made tonight on the hardfp build of meego which we need to run on tegra. see logs of #meego-arm

Gripping stuff.

Guest Anton2k
Nope. Windows uses x86 and Vega isn't.

Not any more..... windows is running or will be running on arm based system, i.e. Tegra Watch Microsofts keynote from ces

Looking forward to this! love linux based systems to but im a windows fan boy aswell XD

Guest emergant
Blocked on this port waiting for kernel source.

I need '# CONFIG_SIGNALFD is not set' to be set.

I will try a stock nvidia kernel as the Vega source is still not here

I'm pretty sure Paul tried the stock nvidia kernel without success but he didn't say how it failed. If you search on kernel sources its likely in that thread. There are sources around for the similar gtab and folio 100 too but they aren't an exact match either

Here's the link if you didn't see it

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...-custom-kernel/

Edited by emergant

Guest martinbrook

thanks,

I tried the gtab kernel with and without patch early on without much success but that was when I had not booted anything even the stock vega.

I am going to try again tonight.

vgrade

I'm pretty sure Paul tried the stock nvidia kernel without success but he didn't say how it failed. If you search on kernel sources its likely in that thread. There are sources around for the similar gtab and folio 100 too but they aren't an exact match either

Here's the link if you didn't see it

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...-custom-kernel/

Guest emergant
thanks,

I tried the gtab kernel with and without patch early on without much success but that was when I had not booted anything even the stock vega.

I am going to try again tonight.

vgrade

Good luck. Look forward to hearing how it goes :D

I'm not a coder but would it help to compare the source trees to see what differs? It may narrow down the problem if its something fundamental rather than a screen driver for example. There are three kernels out there I think

Guest martinbrook

Will do, hopefully the kerel source will be rolling out soon anyway.

Good luck. Look forward to hearing how it goes :D

I'm not a coder but would it help to compare the source trees to see what differs? It may narrow down the problem if its something fundamental rather than a screen driver for example. There are three kernels out there I think

• 3 weeks later...
Guest martinbrook

AdventVega

To those asking, we will have news on the kernel source before the end of the week. Update re: Flash certification coming soon too...

Not long to go now!

Will do, hopefully the kerel source will be rolling out soon anyway.

Guest Damian J

Sorry If this is repeated. Ubuntu works. I will start a new thread later once the rom upload is done. And meego works!! No gui though as it only supports intel graphics AFAIK.

Guest gingercat
"news on the kernel source before the end of the week."

Good - was hoping they would stick to their word and release this month

Paul's tweet today - we can only hope this refers to Vega:

"Out of the office today! That exciting little kernel tar.gz that dropped in my inbox will have to wait until tomorrow... :-)"