I finally got the ClockworkMod recovery installed but couldn't get the adb method to work. So, I thought I'd share the details of my solution with anyone else with the same problem.
When I run the command "adb devices" I get the "error: device not found" message. Despite reinstallation of USB drivers and following the various suggestions in other posts, it still doesn't show my Vega. I originally had a similar problem with my Milestone, but an upgrade to the Android SDK fixed that.
Anyway, I ended up using a combination of the Root Explorer and Better Terminal apps on my Vega to perform the installation. I used Root Explorer to copy recovery.img and flash_image from the download location to /data/local/. The iFileManager on the Vega can't see the files in this directory, but Root Explorer can.
I then found that although Root Explorer can set Read/Write/Execute permissions, e.g. 755, it doesn't seem to be able to set the UID. So, I used Better Terminal to “cd” to the directory and, following an “su” command and agreeing to the pop-up regarding superuser privilege, did the chmod 4755. As I was already in the directory, the final command before reboot was just
./flash_image recovery ./recovery.img
I could have done all the above with just Better Terminal but there's less typing involved by copying with Root Explorer. I originally tried to use the free Terminal Emulator for the command line stuff, but it opens full screen on the Vega so you don't have the soft menu key normally available in the notification bar and there's no hard menu key (at least not on mine!). Whereas in Better Terminal the notification bar is still shown and the soft keyboard appears when you tap on the screen anyway.
[EDIT] I'd just bought my Vega when I wrote the above. I've now discovered that a long press on the back key acts as a menu key.
Edited by s2k52, 14 March 2011 - 08:08 PM.