I'm back, but what a pain in the ass!!
I had to
- turn off completely and leave charging
- Uninstall all of my USB Devices and restart my PC
- take out the SDCard
- wait until the charge was at least above 50% I think (I had no way of knowing how charged it was whilst it was messed up, but previous attempts at the same thing didn't work so I left it ten mins between each try - when it did work, battery was at 58%)
- plugged in the USB lead for vega
- Try the RECOVERY FLASH mode key press order again
This time it showed installing the NVidia Recovery USB Driver, but nothing else, screen stayed off! Also no USB recognised noise, but since I saw it install the right driver where it had done nothing before, I took a chance...
- Run the exe file for 1.04 Vega ROM - it worked
Booted up all OK with Stock 1.04 ROM
- rechecked adb debugging
- Reinstall MCR r5
- Restore as much as I could from my one Titanium Backup (and thankful I had done at least one!!)
And youre back in the room.
seriously, could the .apk not have a stall in it where when you press the .apk it asks if you are ready to reboot to recovery? woulda saved me anyway...