Samsung Galaxy Tab mail app

Guest Shaizer

Guest Shaizer

I haven't owned a Samsung android product before so I don't know whether the mail app on the Galaxy Tab is attached to Touchwiz like the Mail app on my htc is attached to Sense. Is there anyway to port it to the vega so we can enjoy split screen email viewing too =D

thanks in advance

Guest burden010
I haven't owned a Samsung android product before so I don't know whether the mail app on the Galaxy Tab is attached to Touchwiz like the Mail app on my htc is attached to Sense. Is there anyway to port it to the vega so we can enjoy split screen email viewing too =D

thanks in advance

If you can find a GTab and then find the apk in /system/app/ then you should be able to try an install on the Vega... whether it will work or not I don't know.

Guest Bisto321
If you can find a GTab and then find the apk in /system/app/ then you should be able to try an install on the Vega... whether it will work or not I don't know.

I have a gtab and have extracted the apk and associated odex file. Someone on XDA wanted it try it out on a samsung phone (one below the s i think) it was not just a straight install, some porting was required.

You have to push the files back to /system/app and restart for it to show, not just a straight install

If anyone wants to have a go at porting it let me know and i will upload them.

The calendar and mail app on the tab are most excellent, another reason for the high cost - quality 'free' apps cost :P

Guest Bisto321
Surely a package installation file contains compiled code which cannot be edited?

Lots of people trying things with it on XDA;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=810454

Mostly samsung phones I think, so they may have an unfair advantage :D

Also, about the compiling. Are the apks not just java that gets compiled 'Just In Time'? Thought they were all little isolated java apps that ran in the dalvik machine?

I am sure one of the Devs/techs can right all that is wrong with those thoughts :P

Edited by Bisto321

Guest McSpoon

Couldn't get it to work on the Android Emulator (don't have a Vega) but no dice. It seems to require a separate ContentProvider service called "content://com.sec.badge/apps" and crashes without it.

Guest Bisto321
Couldn't get it to work on the Android Emulator (don't have a Vega) but no dice. It seems to require a separate ContentProvider service called "content://com.sec.badge/apps" and crashes without it.

yes, i have seen others mention that. Think it maybe a samsung special.

the sec in that namespace probably refers to samsung electronics corporation, I guess

Edited by Bisto321