1st Bricked Vega Perhaps

Guest amarko5

Guest amarko5

well it would appear i have managed to BRICK my Vega :P

i sucessfully installed clockwork mod (manual method) and rebooted using pauls utility APK, then tried to run a nandroid backup and kept getting an error (couldn't access the SD card) so tried to get out of clockwork mod and reboot.

only problem is it's not rebooting :-( has the led backlight come on and a black screen, so i though follow instructions (revert to 1.04 and all will be ok) trouble there is i cannot get the key combination to bring up the nvidia flash utility. so it would appear i am totally fooked.

@paul i could really use your help here mate as currently i have a very expensive black mirror :-(

Guest TylerDurdenK

Have you tried reflashing the original Advent ROM? There's a key press combination that might work to get you into the right mode.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest amarko5
Have you tried reflashing the original Advent ROM? There's a key press combination that might work to get you into the right mode.

as i said above "trouble there is i cannot get the key combination to bring up the nvidia flash utility" i thought that would be my saviour but alas no :-(

Guest terdbin
as i said above "trouble there is i cannot get the key combination to bring up the nvidia flash utility" i thought that would be my saviour but alas no :-(

Iirc the key press combo doesnt show anything on thr vega, you only really know its worked by looking in dev mgr when connected via usb to a win pc

Guest amarko5
Keep trying the NVFlash method. It shows nothing on screen and can be tricky to get into!

P

paul i have tried several times now until i am sick and my fingers are numb, i am sure i have a dead / bricked tablet now , nothing i attempt seems to give me any sort of usb connection to the pc, so unless you have a miracle fix i reckon im goosed :-(

adb devices, shows nothing and the tablet just sits with the led backlight on and nothing else

If the backlight is on, you've held power too long. In Nvflash mode it has no backlight.

Press back, hold 2 secs, keep held, press power 2 secs, keep back held 2 secs more then release... right?

It's impossible AFAICT to brick unless you brick WITH nvflash...!

P

Guest welshblob
If the backlight is on, you've held power too long. In Nvflash mode it has no backlight

I was under the impression there was a backlight but no there definately isn't. Mine also makes a high pitched whistling noise too when in this mode.

Also make sure you have the power connected

Edited by welshblob

Guest amarko5
If the backlight is on, you've held power too long. In Nvflash mode it has no backlight.

Press back, hold 2 secs, keep held, press power 2 secs, keep back held 2 secs more then release... right?

It's impossible AFAICT to brick unless you brick WITH nvflash...!

P

well it would appear you can do something to it :-( i have followed the instructions of yours and also the advent vega 6 secs power off 2 secs hold back ETC ETC and i have sucessfully done this on 6 or so occasions in the past. but since the clockworkmod "I" have managed to screw something up. kept getting an error when trying a nandroid (couldnt write to sd XXXXXXXXX summat (should have wrote it down) went to see if sd was mounted and found it wasnt tried to mount and got more errors so came out of clockworkmod and rebooted. and since then no joy whatsoever. i have the SD card out and SD card in. press this press that.

tried a different sd card in as well all to no avail :-( ;-(

Guest amarko5
Good point to remember, it must be plugged in. Count the seconds out loud and follow the key presses precisely.

Good luck.

power is connected and pc is connected and as i say i have managed about 6 times in the past (with ease) but it just will NOT do it now, on the count of 2 secs on power button everytime i release the power button the backlight comes on keeping the back held down for a further 2 then releasing changes nothing.

i really have exhausted this method now :-(

is there anymore i can do ?? is there anything that can be put on an SD card ?? master reset anywhere ? HELP !

Guest emergant
power is connected and pc is connected and as i say i have managed about 6 times in the past (with ease) but it just will NOT do it now, on the count of 2 secs on power button everytime i release the power button the backlight comes on keeping the back held down for a further 2 then releasing changes nothing.

i really have exhausted this method now :-(

is there anymore i can do ?? is there anything that can be put on an SD card ?? master reset anywhere ? HELP !

I cant prove this its just a theory. Is it possible that the tablet crashed at some point after the bootloader? If so the keys may not be read. The only way I can think of to test this other than taking it apart is to leave it enough time to drain the battery then test again. But seriously I'm not sure if this is likely.

Guest amarko5
I cant prove this its just a theory. Is it possible that the tablet crashed at some point after the bootloader? If so the keys may not be read. The only way I can think of to test this other than taking it apart is to leave it enough time to drain the battery then test again. But seriously I'm not sure if this is likely.

I have opened it , removed battery, left it for 5 mins , reinstated and tried again still no joy,

could i really have destroyed it with anything in clockworkmod ??

Guest TylerDurdenK
on the count of 2 secs on power button everytime i release the power button the backlight comes on keeping the back held down for a further 2 then releasing changes nothing.

That's missing the first thing you need to do, so just for absolute clarity, here is the sequence.

1) Hold down BACK key

2) After 2 seconds hold down POWER key (keep back key held)

2) After 2 seconds (holding both keys) release POWER key.

4) After a further 2 seconds release the BACK key.

The whole sequence should take 6 seconds.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest amarko5
That's missing the first thing you need to do, so just for absolute clarity, here is the sequence.

1) Hold down BACK key

2) After 2 seconds hold down POWER key (keep back key held)

2) After 2 seconds (holding both keys) release POWER key.

4) After a further 2 seconds release the BACK key.

The whole sequence should take 6 seconds.

I know your only trying to help but i can assure you "i can read" and i can count. i have followed all the instructions explicitly :P (don't take offence)

previous to this testing and trying many of pauls builds and mods i have Sucessfully installed and reinstalled 1.02 1.04 so i know how it goes.

this Vega will not now do it that way not at all we are talking over 2 hours now trying , i can catagorically say its not me , my counting or my button pressing, its down to the Tablet and something "i" have managed to do in clockworkmod. (i wish i knew why and how ) but hey thats where we stand, i cannot get it to connect to a pc or a mac or a laptop 3 dif machines not one shows anything on usb no matter how many times i try the key combination.

Guest amarko5
Theres a sliding switch on the top I dont suppose it makes any difference if its moved?

the orientation lock i have tried it both ways

i think i may have to take it back under the distance selling regs as its failed to boot and get my money back, :P

to be really truthful the portrait mode was killing my eyes and i like reading books and manuals.

Guest Bisto321
I know your only trying to help but i can assure you "i can read" and i can count. i have followed all the instructions explicitly :P (don't take offence)

previous to this testing and trying many of pauls builds and mods i have Sucessfully installed and reinstalled 1.02 1.04 so i know how it goes.

this Vega will not now do it that way not at all we are talking over 2 hours now trying , i can catagorically say its not me , my counting or my button pressing, its down to the Tablet and something "i" have managed to do in clockworkmod. (i wish i knew why and how ) but hey thats where we stand, i cannot get it to connect to a pc or a mac or a laptop 3 dif machines not one shows anything on usb no matter how many times i try the key combination.

just watched the IT crowd and a thought has occurred to me

have you tried turning it off and on again?

Sorry. Seriously though it does sound like a pooped vega :D , go to bed and see what happens in the morning.

Sometimes these things right themselves for no real reason, sounds dead but you have nowt to lose.

Guest paulwrench
yes have even disconected the battery :P

Just read to the end of the thread and no happy ending, what a crap story! Please re-write with appropriate heart warming conclusion

Ta

Guest three_pineapples

Just a thought, have you tried another USB cable?

From what you described, it sounds like something else, but it can't hurt to cover all bases!

Guest paulsmith

For what its worth and this is going from memory last week so may not be correct

I think you maybe able to tell if you are in NVFlash/recovery mode by

1) Main Screen Backlight is off.

2) Near where the camera is at the top of the vega - there is a led light thats just visible under the surface if you hold the vega in a certain way.

I did the full offical 1.04 recovery in a dark room and noticed it.

Guest trevor432990

@amarko

Just a thought but have you checked if your Vega is still communicating with your router as it could be doing something in the background whilst not displaying anything. If you go to your router admin application and check for attached devices and see if it appears. Sure it won't help resolve your immediate problem but at least it might prove it is still alive if only in a coma right now.

Guest amarko5

YEE HAA

we have life ;)

well i have messed around for 2 days now trying everything i could to get the vega back. i cannot catagorically say which of these did it but here goes.

formatted memory card and unzipped 1.04 exe file and copied all to mem card, tried several boots and nothing :-( pulled out power lead tried again . nothing, pulled out usb and again nothing pluged in power cable had usb in computer inserted usb into vega at same time pressing just the back button only and EUREKA bing bong usb connection, so quickly switched to 1.04 exe on pc and ran it. and i have a vega back from the dead.

do not ask me if this is repeatable as i have no intention of trying to brick it again. but maybe it will help someone else in the future.

as i have tried so many things and combinations this might not be the exact sequence but i am just about certain it was.

top and bottom though i have my vega back so don't need to visit currys just yet. :P :P