Real Life Uses For Your Vega

Guest JingleManSweep

Guest JingleManSweep

I created this topic so we can share ideas for using our Vega in the real world. This doesn't have to be specifically Vega related, but how we can enjoy our tablet devices to the max.

Guest JingleManSweep

Offline BBC iPlayer Access

If you use iPlayer (and if you don't have good 3G signal on the train like me with my MiFi hotspot), have a google for "get_iplayer". It is a shell script that allows you to download iPlayer content much like a PVR. You can add searches, and then just run the script in "PVR" mode via "cron" or Windows "Scheduled Tasks". It will then download the latest available episodes, much like a podcast downloader. It works by pretending to be an iPhone (user agent string) and ripping the streams, as the iPhone streams are MPEG4 based and not Flash based and are also free of DRM. The iPhone format is just about right for the Vega's screen resolution. Don't expect 1080p quality here, but it is perfectly acceptable to catch up with your favourite programmes whilst bored during your commute home or whenever you are bored.

In terms of file sizes, an hour long programme is approximately 150MB (+/- 20MB depending on compression etc.). Just ordered a 16GB MicroSD card, so that is a lot of video content that can be squeezed onto the Vega. I don't mind spending a couple of hours a week preparing and copying next weeks train/commuting viewing onto my Vega.

I use "RockPlayer" for video playback. You can get a trial of this on the market. The full version is $9.99 which I purchased last night. I've found that RockPlayer supports loads of formats (including the quirky ones such as "Real Video" and "FLV" files). It also supports "Hardware Decoding" and the Tegra 2 profile for the Vega works great. If not, the "Software Decoding" works reasonably well too.

Get iPlayer Homepage: http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html

Few examples:

Listing all iPlayer TV episodes:

get_iplayer --type=tv
Searching for programmes:
# Syntax: get_iplayer <SearchTerm>

get_iplayer "EastEnders"
Adding a programme to the PVR (e.g. like series link on Sky+):
# Syntax: get_iplayer --pvradd <YourReference> <SearchTerms>

get_iplayer --pvradd "TopGear" "Top Gear: Series 12"
Removing a PVR'd programme:
# Syntax: get_iplayer --pvrdel <YourReference>

get_iplayer --pvrdel "TopGear"
Update all PVR'd content (run this via "cron" or "scheduled tasks"):
# Syntax: get_iplayer --pvr

get_iplayer --pvr
For more help:
get_iplayer --help

Edited by JingleManSweep

Guest TylerDurdenK

I have used mine to good effect as an XBMC Remote control.

Here's a video of it in action.

I am hopeful the developer will work on better view options for Movies and Music so they can look as good as the TV Shows do.

Guest JingleManSweep
I have used mine to good effect as an XBMC Remote control.

Damn, I forgot about XBMC Remote. I use this on my ZTE Blade to control my Ubuntu XBMC. I'm going to install it right now on my Vega!

Cheers!

Guest unclebob31

Home screen

Config housekeeping

k9 email, market, skype, facebook etc

Second screen

Share dealing, internet links to portfolio company bbs and forums, portfolio management, live streaming prices

Third screen

Fun screen, games - tower defense ones, media apps

All in all very very useful find it better than a notebook, just need a nice leather case now!

I use "RockPlayer" for video playback. You can get a trial of this on the market. The full version is $9.99 which I purchased last night. I've found that RockPlayer supports loads of formats (including the quirky ones such as "Real Video" and "FLV" files). It also supports "Hardware Decoding" and the Tegra 2 profile for the Vega works great. If not, the "Software Decoding" works reasonably well too.

RockPlayer isn't hardware accelerrated on the tegra yet. I'm sure it will come though. Take a look at this post on another forum, which suggests it is in development: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...amp;postcount=3

The final thing that tipped me over the edge on buying one of these was XBMC remote :P

Guest JingleManSweep
RockPlayer isn't hardware accelerrated on the tegra yet. I'm sure it will come though.

Really? Damn... Must have been confirmation bias. It prompts me to use "Tegra 2 Hardware Decoding" so I just ticked it and accepted it. To be fair, I haven't exactly run scientific benchmarks on comparing HW vs SW decoding. Thanks for the heads up though. That side, RockPlayer is pretty decent and worth the $9.99 I paid for it.

Also, "Squeeze Commander" is really worth the money (~ £4) if you have Squeezeboxes. Much better UI than the stupid official remote control I bought for well over £150.

Can't believe you can get the Vega (a fully functional Android tablet device) for £250 (+ £5 for the Squeeze Commander app), and that lame official Squeezebox Duet remote costs £150 by itself, and all it does is control Squeezecenter (and not very well I must add).

Squeezebox Duet Remote: http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/p...roducts_id=2956

Edited by JingleManSweep

It prompts me to use "Tegra 2 Hardware Decoding" so I just ticked it and accepted it. To be fair, I haven't exactly run scientific benchmarks on comparing HW vs SW decoding. Thanks for the heads up though. That side, RockPlayer is pretty decent and worth the $9.99 I paid for it.

Was this option in RockPlayer itself? I'll do some testing once my Vega arrives (assuming my order from today doesn't get cancelled!!)

Guest JingleManSweep
Was this option in RockPlayer itself? I'll do some testing once my Vega arrives (assuming my order from today doesn't get cancelled!!)

I think I got confused... Too much excitement. It prompted me for "Hardware Decoding", didn't specifically mention "Tegra", but I think I read it somewhere, hence why I installed RockPlayer in the first place.

However, my opinion still stands... It plays pretty much any format I throw at it!

Guest trevor432990

Apart from the normal ways of using the Vega to watch iPlayer, browsing, etc I would also like to use it as a Universal Remote Controller to control my audio/video equipment using an appropriate app which translates button pushes on the tablet into infra red remote signals. There are several companies who have developed such a solution for the iPhone/iPad already such as Thinkflood with their Redeye Mini product and Gear4 with the UnityRemote system but these have yet to port the apps to Android but I'm sure it won't be long in arriving.

Guest warriorscot

So far its mostly a browser but I've been using it as a PC remote using the gmote app which lets me use it as a trackpad and keyboard as well as a standard remote and streaming video player. I use it to read papers I've downloaded from Journal sites and it works for that pretty well as its a lot faster at handling pdfs than my reader.

PSX games are pretty fun on the emulator and I player a lot of ashpalt before I lost my save games with the 1.04 update.

Guest Qwertymon
PSX games are pretty fun on the emulator and I player a lot of ashpalt before I lost my save games with the 1.04 update.

Ive got a ps1 I can dump the rom from easy enough, whats the quality like? and is a class7 sd card good enough for it after I copy my ff7 disks >_<.

I finaly got mine ordered today, thank gawd.

IM a techguy at pcw, I plan to use it round my clinic, while working on jobs, I used to use a netbook but it was too cumbersome, IM hoping this works out better.

Other then that its going to be a sofa anime player :P