Vega Touch Screen Issue - Cause of multiple keypress etc. (video included)

Guest friedgoldmole

Guest MarkoUK

@boney01 - try cleaning the screen.

I've got r4 and touch fix etc etc and just yesterday the screen starting playing up.

I was raging and decided to try uninstall a few apps and reflash 1.04 and r4 again.

Then I thought I better give the screen a little clean...BINGO!

Touch working perfect again and no mistouch or multiple touches etc!

Not sure why it's really just down the bottom of the screen that it's so sensitive but it just is.

So, try cleaning that screen.

Guest boney01

Thanks will give it a try and report back.

I kick myself if only dirty screen. i will file that technique with my pc repair technique - turn off/turn on and now wipe screen :)

I have a Samsung Galaxy S, and bought a cheap battery charger, which also acts as a mains charger for the device. When I use this charger, rather than the official Samsung charger , the touch screen is un-usable. I think this is because it is a cheap Chinese charger , the rectification and smoothing of the charging voltage is rubbish, for those technically minded, i think it is most probably only 1/2 wave rectified as it seems to work like only 50% of the overall time in short bursts at perhaps a 50hz( mains frequency). I have a feeling that the Vega supply is also a cheap piece of kit, and the smoothing on the voltage is not up to scratch. At some point I will take it to work and get a scope on it and see what it is like, but maybe this is the problem.

Guest wobblydoggy
Thank you for suggestions.

I have added r4 and performance pack and tried with unit unpluged and have not seen any change. I will keep practising / perservering for a day or so and see if any improvement or bedding in? The strange thing is when i get random letter not adjacent to keys pressed so not a sensitivity thing.

i get the exact same thing on mine any tips? is it just luck of the draw?

hmm looks like i need to get mine replaced then, that will be fun.

Did you get yours replaced in the end? If so was the replacement any better? I have exactly the same problem. On top of that I have the "hyper sensitive when plugged in" problem too.

Not sure if I should send it back or if it's just something I have to learn to live with...

Guest massjourney
No dead zones here. But I believe the cause of the multi-press on the keyboard if the failure to register a touch-off event, and I've been able to replicate this in multi-touch visualizer where I take my finger away and the touch point remains until I touch the screen again.

Does anyone have this issue or has solved this issue?

I have the same problem as SilentMobius and the keyboard after 1 day of use is driving me nuts. When I press a key it hangs on that key and brings up the alternat character selection and the del key it can hang and delete all the text im typing ahhhhh! I have tried different keyboards to the stock now including gingerbread and swiftkey and i get the same issues; the keyboard is almost unusable with this problem.

Any advice appreciated

Jay

Guest gadgetmad
Are you on the latest ROM (1.06.5)?

P

I'm on the latest ROM (1.06.5) with R6, and I too seem to have strange screen issues, e.g. in landscape mode, when pressing the delete key it registers an l. It's around the top 25% of the delete key. The odd thing is if you press the top right corner of the delete (which is "miles" away from the l key), it still registers as an l.

Do I have a faulty screen/digitizer ?

Should I be looking at returning the unit?

Thanks

P.S. The issue was present when I had R5 (should that be of any use). Mine came with the latest ROM (1.06.5) presinstalled (without Flash) - I didn't play with that vanilla version long enough to spot if the issue was present then - my guess is that it probably was.

Guest DaveSk
I'm on the latest ROM (1.06.5) with R6, and I too seem to have strange screen issues, e.g. in landscape mode, when pressing the delete key it registers an l. It's around the top 25% of the delete key. The odd thing is if you press the top right corner of the delete (which is "miles" away from the l key), it still registers as an l.

Do I have a faulty screen/digitizer ?

Should I be looking at returning the unit?

Thanks

P.S. The issue was present when I had R5 (should that be of any use). Mine came with the latest ROM (1.06.5) presinstalled (without Flash) - I didn't play with that vanilla version long enough to spot if the issue was present then - my guess is that it probably was.

I had this issue. I downloaded Smart keyboard pro and ran "optimise" in settings. This made a huge difference, and if it wasn't for the other screen issues I have things would be perfect.

Mcr6 also has some fixes for screen issues I believe, although I didn't notice the difference, presumably because I'd already used optimise.

Edited by DaveSk

Guest godinandroid

I've ran the multi touch visualiser and the only problem I've found is doing multi touch at the bottom of the screen, the first touch registers fine but I can't get it to register the second touch until I move up the screen an inch or so.

This doesn't really make much difference day to day, the only problem i ever have is multi presses on angry birds and the odd jump when i pinch and zoom on the web.

The touch screen a hell of a lot better since i installed r6 and the performance pack, still getting multi presses when typing as this post shows :unsure:

Guest massjourney

Can I ask a dumb question to anyone who knows the hardware better...

Are the double tap issues software or hardware related?

In other words, are the improvements Pauls made to the r6 because of improvements to the core software which is causing these issues and future improvements will eradicate these issues completely or is Paul working around the inherent hardware defects?

My Vega has a bad case of a sticking touch screen and I am just trying to figure out if I should return it for a replacement (preferred route) or just get a refund and wait for a better device in Q1Y11. If the Vega has inherent hardware quality issues making it a floored device then i will go for the latter which will be a shame because I actually like the device but I cannot put up with the faults on my current Vega as its practically unusable.

Jay

Guest carl rose
Can I ask a dumb question to anyone who knows the hardware better...

Are the double tap issues software or hardware related?

In other words, are the improvements Pauls made to the r6 because of improvements to the core software which is causing these issues and future improvements will eradicate these issues completely or is Paul working around the inherent hardware defects?

My Vega has a bad case of a sticking touch screen and I am just trying to figure out if I should return it for a replacement (preferred route) or just get a refund and wait for a better device in Q1Y11. If the Vega has inherent hardware quality issues making it a floored device then i will go for the latter which will be a shame because I actually like the device but I cannot put up with the faults on my current Vega as its practically unusable.

Jay

I personally think that this is an hardware issue and no amount of software fixes will be able to correct it. One great program to check the digitalizer is a drawing program called sketchbook express. There is a lite version in the market. I tried multitouch visualizer and you can tell as well but you will have to compare how it reacts on a good part of the screen (smooth non jittery) and on the bad (if the finger is in a dragging motion it will flicker all the time). With sketchbook express the good part of the screen on my unit it writes fine on the bad parts it does not write at all no matter what I do.

Edited by carl rose

Guest godinandroid

I've been having a bit more of a play with the visualiser and have actually found a problem, if I hold my finger still near the bottom of the screen it does jitter around and does loads of multi presses. Which is probably whats causing issues with angry birds.

So, Paul do you happen to know if it is an inherent hardware defect or just software issues, or i suppose is it a fairly simple hardware problem that could be worked around?

Guest chris4934

Hi !

First of all, I am from Austria, and want to apologize for my bad english.

Since yesterday I'm the proud owner of an Point of View Tegra Mobii 10" and had the same problem with it when connected to the power supply.

I know it's the same tablet as the Vega, and because of that, I found this thread.

I tested the tablet with an laboratory power supply, and everything worked fine!

I'm now using a better switching power supply.

For my opinion it is not ok to add such a cheap china thing to an expensive tablet.

I think it's the same power supply as the one from the Vega.

Change it, be happy :unsure:

Guest emergant
Hi !

First of all, I am from Austria, and want to apologize for my bad english.

Since yesterday I'm the proud owner of an Point of View Tegra Mobii 10" and had the same problem with it when connected to the power supply.

I know it's the same tablet as the Vega, and because of that, I found this thread.

I tested the tablet with an laboratory power supply, and everything worked fine!

I'm now using a better switching power supply.

For my opinion it is not ok to add such a cheap china thing to an expensive tablet.

I think it's the same power supply as the one from the Vega.

Change it, be happy :unsure:

I mostly use mine on battery and I'm happy but if youre having problems with the psu then report them to the manufacturer or retailer. Advent seem interested in helping

Guest HunteronX

I've had absolutely no problems with the touchscreen (using multitouch visualiser to test), and there is no difference between charging and not charging, even when moving my fingers around all of the edges of the screen.

I have a feeling that all of the problems have been due to faulty screens (digitizers?).

Edited by HunteronX

Guest Infnordz

This is probably a PSU issue or inadequate power filtering in the Vega i.e. a bit too much cost cutting. :D

I suggest that this can be cured by putting a decent (e.g. 100uF e.g. Maplin VH13P) 16V capacitor in parallel with the power lead, to suppress any remaining PSU ripple.

I'll try this ASAP and see if it fixes the issue.

It maybe possible to mod the Vega internally, however there may not be enough space for an extra capacitor and this would break the warranty.

Edited by Infnordz

I quite often get a get double letter presses etc when on charge - the easiest way (for me) to get around it is to turn the Vega upside down as the digitizer seems to work better then.

• 1 month later...
Guest Nitromouse
@boney01 - try cleaning the screen.

I've got r4 and touch fix etc etc and just yesterday the screen starting playing up.

I was raging and decided to try uninstall a few apps and reflash 1.04 and r4 again.

Then I thought I better give the screen a little clean...BINGO!

Touch working perfect again and no mistouch or multiple touches etc!

Not sure why it's really just down the bottom of the screen that it's so sensitive but it just is.

So, try cleaning that screen.

WOW you are god ^^ Such a simple solution. It worked. I thought about sending it back before ^^

• 1 month later...
Guest marky444

Have been suffering from this since I had mine in january, have just had it replaced for an unrelated issue and it seems to have resolved in the later builds. I am now finding it a pleasure to type on, even using the stock keyboard :D

Guest cjtkd
Have been suffering from this since I had mine in january, have just had it replaced for an unrelated issue and it seems to have resolved in the later builds. I am now finding it a pleasure to type on, even using the stock keyboard :D

Im having issues using the device when docked like so many others, that said its not a massive problem as I don't really have a need to use whilst docked as its usually just sat there to charge...

Mate, could i just ask, how long did it take for them to replace your Vega? Cheers!